balinews

Feb 14, 2010
He had a red helmet with a sticker of a blonde cartoon doll on the back. "Transport? Transport?" he asked. It was just after noon and I was walking along the side of the road towards an intersection to get a taxi. I wanted to pick up some souvenirs before leaving Bali, maybe an interesting ashtray or T-shirt.

The young man, in his late twenties, kept alongside me, saying "transport" in the shy butchered English that all motorbike jockeys know. In Southeast Asia, men hang around sidewalks hoping to get a fare from a tourist, and in many cases the few dollars they earn from that one ride is the only money they get all day. I rode motorbike taxis to work all the time when I taught English in Bangkok, sometimes side-saddle and in heels. So I thought nothing of hopping on the back of this guy's motorbike to beat the traffic to Kuta in southern Bali.

Read the whole article: IT HAPPENED TO ME: I Was Almost Abducted While Traveling | xoJane

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I have read lots and lots of dumb stuff in my life but this article is right up there with the worst. I will try and get a t-shirt with this printed on it:

As women, we’re taught that there are superheroes, soldiers, and police officers who will whisk you to safety in your hour of need.

Up until I read this I was only mildly derisive of this stupid woman and her "experience" but this damned near made me lose my cookies all over the table.

bjbjrowe

Apr 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
Up until I read this I was only mildly derisive of this stupid woman and her "experience" but this damned near made me lose my cookies all over the table.[/QUOTE]

My gag moment was "I was in Bali, the final destination in Eat Pray Love."

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Up until I read this I was only mildly derisive of this stupid woman and her "experience" but this damned near made me lose my cookies all over the table.

My gag moment was "I was in Bali, the final destination in Eat Pray Love."[/QUOTE]

I have not seen this movie yet...is it worth watching ?

When we stayed in Ubud we stayed in a Villa nearby where this was supposed to have been filmed.

A couple of locals, including a real estate agent and a quite cute villa agent that had business in Singapore also...she told us that it was Angelina Jolie....not the other one Julia Roberts, that was the star in it.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
My gag moment was "I was in Bali, the final destination in Eat Pray Love"
I have not seen this movie yet...is it worth watching ?.

I hardly ever watch movies...well, not since cinemas showed them in color...but I was forced to watch this "Eat, Pray Love".
I thought it was boring as hell and the small part about Bali totally dishonest. I don't remember whether it was Jolie or Roberts who starred but either, if real actors, should be ashamed to be associated with such crap!

Not even worth Rp7,000 for the DVD...:icon_sad:

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
THE Bali based movie is yet to be made ... but when Mel Gibson buys the film rights to me book 'The Essence' and films it on Bali I will insist you all have parts...
... yes I can see the cast list and credits now ...
'belligerent drunks at bar'
'angry man in car'
'helpful old man in minimarket'
'hookers plying their trade'
'cheese lover seeking gout remedy'
'jaded misanthropist'
'tree huggers being mocked'

... me an Mel go back a few years ... once had lunch together in Jakarta ... well sort of ... he was at the next table ... in another restaurant sort of across the road but there was not much between his table and mine ... a window, potted plants, main road...