saren

Hey, im planning a trip around bali on motorbike, and i wanted to check with people who have done a similar trip around the island. I'm staying in Dalung area, of North kuta, near Sempidi, and the road to Ubud, and I'd like to make the following trip (focusing on pure nature, rice fields, volcano views, ocean view, quieter roads, and delicious, warung (foods) along the way, here is the trip:

A: Ubud ( ubud trails, south, and southeast of ubud rice terraces - north of Ubud also, around kutuh. Tegallalang is supposed to be (tourist trap) but are the rice terraces worth the visit?

B: Kintamani, just for the access to Batur lake roads, leading to Mt. Batur, and Mt. Abang, i may or may not actually climb these mountain volcanoes (probably not, unless they are 1000m, and no higher, and i do NOT want to hire a guide), but i would like to look at them from the best angle, and vantage points, i'm basically looking to drive around the Batur lake area searching the best viewpoints, after which i may try to reach Amed via Tulamben, on the northeast coast so i can get a view of the eastern side of mt agung as I've heard that's the prettier side ?

C: Amed, i've heard great things about the water, and nature in this area

D: Selat valley , drive around Mt, agung foothills, i don't intent to climb Mt. Agung

E: back to Ubud, via Rendang, Gianyar, i'm looking to take quiet, yet easy to follow roads back to Ubud, after Ubud, back to Dalung, Kuta.

The whole trip is just over 200km (see attachment)

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• trip.jpg
    trip.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 68
Dear, dear Saren you are approaching your coming trip to Bali as if it were an attempt at the Eiger north wall without oxygen.

You write quite sweetly "Hey, im planning a trip around bali on motorbike".

It may surprise you to find you will be in the company of 1 or 2 million other bikes on that day!

My advise for free - throw away the fecking map, climb on a bike and find some lovely local beauty or boy and have yourself one hell of a ride. Then go out and discover Bali with them as a guide.

Before you make anal retention into a Olympic sport.

hi, saren

it sounds great, planning to trip around bali on motorbike,
well may be the map is right, it is only 200km but what if it is in reality you will spend much of time when it is quite crowd on road, remember that you will face traffic when you trip around at the weekend :distant:

The best part of being in Bali, even for a short time, is that you do NOT plan anything. Just go in an approximate direction and see what happens.:friendly_wink:

having trip around Bali using motorbike sounds great but little worried in case there is something happened on the road, but hope it is not

I go regularly by bike (scooter or motorbike if my brother in law lends me his) via my place near Amlapura down to Ujung, Seraya on to Amed and then back home. This route along the coast is great fun - even in pouring rain which I've done to please guests who happened to be visiting during the rainy season.

I have some great pics of our tour on my fb page which I don't know if I can share. It might add to your 200 km but personally I think it is well worth it.

By motorbike you will stop at places you won't if taking a car - I know this from experience.

Amed tour!

By motorbike you will stop at places you won't if taking a car - I know this from experience.

To people who do not drive motorcycles in Bali, that remark must sound stupid ("but why can't you stop your car where you want, like a motorcycle?":grumpy:), but it's the absolute truth, and only those who experienced it know that.

In my first 2-3 years in Bali, as a tourist, I stayed about 5 weeks, and spent most of the time visiting Indonesia (Sumatra, Kaltim, Lombok, etc) and when in Bali, I used bimos. Before returning to Bali, in 1987, my wife taught me how to drive her motorcycle (boy, did I get screamed at, especially once when I dumped it - the motorcycle, that is!). Back that year in Ubud, I rented a cycle and up I went: it seemed I never got off. I remember the first day, going up to Tegallalang, it felt like I was flying. It was so exhilarating, I was screamed and jumping up and down on the saddle practically all the way up, like a mad man. I'm sure I turned many heads on the way.

Although I was busy during the week, and only commuted to Sanur daily, I still average 3,000 - 3,500 km/month around Bali. The motorcycle, the ONLY way to go.:love-struck:

I go regularly by bike (scooter or motorbike if my brother in law lends me his) via my place near Amlapura down to Ujung, Seraya on to Amed and then back home. This route along the coast is great fun - even in pouring rain which I've done to please guests who happened to be visiting during the rainy season.

I have some great pics of our tour on my fb page which I don't know if I can share. It might add to your 200 km but personally I think it is well worth it.

Amed tour!
Can you give a general amount of time it takes to travel that route?

Hey, im planning a trip around bali on motorbike, and i wanted to check with people who have done a similar trip around the island. I'm staying in Dalung area, of North kuta, near Sempidi, and the road to Ubud, and I'd like to make the following trip (focusing on pure nature, rice fields, volcano views, ocean view, quieter roads, and delicious, warung (foods) along the way, here is the trip:

A: Ubud ( ubud trails, south, and southeast of ubud rice terraces - north of Ubud also, around kutuh. Tegallalang is supposed to be (tourist trap) but are the rice terraces worth the visit?

B: Kintamani, just for the access to Batur lake roads, leading to Mt. Batur, and Mt. Abang, i may or may not actually climb these mountain volcanoes (probably not, unless they are 1000m, and no higher, and i do NOT want to hire a guide), but i would like to look at them from the best angle, and vantage points, i'm basically looking to drive around the Batur lake area searching the best viewpoints, after which i may try to reach Amed via Tulamben, on the northeast coast so i can get a view of the eastern side of mt agung as I've heard that's the prettier side ?

C: Amed, i've heard great things about the water, and nature in this area

D: Selat valley , drive around Mt, agung foothills, i don't intent to climb Mt. Agung

E: back to Ubud, via Rendang, Gianyar, i'm looking to take quiet, yet easy to follow roads back to Ubud, after Ubud, back to Dalung, Kuta.

The whole trip is just over 200km (see attachment)

Thanks for reading

Already too late, Kutuh Kajah around Ubud is PURE villas and houses everywhere all the road up!!!

I climbed Batur a few years ago, is around 1.300 I think, I am not sure, the last part it was hard but it was very worthy and I loved it!!! I totally recommend it, although is true, not possible without a guide and the climb is 4 am to see the sunrise in the morning, very worthy and one of the things I enjoy the most all the way up was to see thousand stairs on the sky!!! I will never forget that trip!!

Can you give a general amount of time it takes to travel that route?

Oh gosh..... not really..... I leave at about 10ish and come home as the sun sets....... But then I stop at all kinds of places to look at a tree, a goat, a flower, a fruit or just watch the scenery. And every time I take a different side road to see where it'll take me.

Then of course you have to stop for a coffee, a meal, cigarette breaks and the late afternoon Bintang.....

But it is a great tour and most of my guests even take it a couple of times......

Is that the road through Seraya and around the "horn" as it where? The long way to Amed is really quite something - some of the poorest people here on the island. This is where most of the beggars you hear complained about come from here on Bali - as opposed to being "professional" as many here would have us believe. This corner of Bali is so isolated the locals actually still come out to see a car go by (doubt if that happens with mbikes) and of course the kids all chase after "hello, hi, hillo". Which isn't hard to do because the roads are soooo bad - hence the isolation - symptom or cause?

The trip back to Amlapura over the usual mountain route is also wonderful with some of the best rice terraces and mountain vistas on the island - so go slow and enjoy.

Is that the road through Seraya and around the "horn" as it where? The long way to Amed is really quite something - some of the poorest people here on the island. This is where most of the beggars you hear complained about come from here on Bali - as opposed to being "professional" as many here would have us believe. This corner of Bali is so isolated the locals actually still come out to see a car go by (doubt if that happens with mbikes) and of course the kids all chase after "hello, hi, hillo". Which isn't hard to do because the roads are soooo bad - hence the isolation - symptom or cause?

The trip back to Amlapura over the usual mountain route is also wonderful with some of the best rice terraces and mountain vistas on the island - so go slow and enjoy.

Really that poor? Funny I did not get that impression when stopping at the side of the road and chatting with some of the people...... And if they were that poor why would they not sell me the sirikayas they just harvested instead of to the guy that buys in bulk?? I would have paid more.....

It is the road that is so "bad".... but this is the original Indonesia for me (like I remember it from the 70's). But modernization has hit that road - there actually is a Pertamina station where there used to be none.

Also on that route is a place that does "organic" dying. Haven't stopped there yet but should do so next time round.

The route takes you over wooden bridges - that look scary and even scarier when a truck just crossed it. In the rainy season you drive through the rivers - sometimes knee deep. If the rain has stopped but the river is full you will see locals cleaning their clothes and motorbikes in these. In the dry season they are usually dried out.

Anything else? Well I think the photos I took the time I was not driving myself show it all.....

Back