davita

Mar 13, 2012
According to a report in Jakarta Post today the Indonesia Government plans to waive all visit visas for nationals of approx. another 30 countries starting next month. This does not include Australia.

G

Gurkha

Yup! I guess the gummint realises that the Aussies will come here for their cheap beer, fake tats etc whether they have to pay for a visa, or not

davita

Mar 13, 2012
This should be good news for some arriving by cruise ship. Approximately 60 cruise ships planned to arrive at Benoa this cruise year and I personally know some passengers from Canada who were pissed-off they're expected to pay US$35, just to stretch their legs ashore for a few hours. It isn't the money...it's the principle.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
According to the Jakarta Post this free-visa for many other countries, mentioned above to start next month, may not fly.

The Minister was advised it is against Immigration Law UU6/2011 which says 'only foreigners allowed free-entry are citizens of countries with reciprocal agreements'...very few of the countries the Minister said the Visa on Arrival (VOA) will be waived have reciprocal agreements.

Mommy...somebody didn't do their homework!

The basic idea was to increase the amount of tourism to Indonesia and effect an increase in foreign reserves which has been one reason the Rupiah has declined so much....Rupiah headed for another fall?

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
According to the news article the Visa-free period was due to start March 16:
………announced on Monday, March 16, 2015 that 30 more countries would soon be added to those nations whose citizens are eligible for a free 30-day visa when visiting Indonesia. The new visa policy forms part of a packet of economic measures aimed to stimulate the national economy. Indonesia’s Tourism Minister Arief Yahya has revealed the list of new countries to be eligible for free visa under the revised immigration policy:
1. China,
2. Japan,
3. South Korea,
4. U.S.A.,
5. Canada,
6. New Zealand,
7. Mexico,
8. Russia,
9. United Kingdom,
10. Germany,
11. France,
12. The Netherlands,
13. Italy,
14. Spain,
15. Switzerland,
16. Belgium,
17. Sweden,
18. Austria,
19. Denmark,
20. Norway,
21. Finland,
22. Poland,
23. Hungary,
24. Czechoslovakia,
25. Qatar,
26. United Arab Emirates,
27. Kuwait,
28. Bahrain,
29. Oman,
30. South Africa

Now, I wonder why Australia is not included in the list??!!!! Wouldn't be anything to do with being constantly haggled by the Oz Govt. about it's drug smuggler policy I'm sure............ or just maybe the 16 page/50 question/$150 application for an Indonesian to visit Oz on merely a Tourist Visa???

(I think the previous "shorter-list" of free entries was mainly the fellow-counties of SE Asia who also don't charge Indonesians for a visa.)

As Davita says......... believe it when it actually happens!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
This should be good news for some arriving by cruise ship. Approximately 60 cruise ships planned to arrive at Benoa this cruise year and I personally know some passengers from Canada who were pissed-off they're expected to pay US$35, just to stretch their legs ashore for a few hours. It isn't the money...it's the principle.

New information I learned yesterday.
My friend arrived on a cruise ship from Sydney...he was ashore just to have lunch and catch-up with a couple of us ex-colleagues. His wife stayed on board as she needs a walker and access to the lifeboat ferry from the ship, which was anchored in Benoa bay, is restrictive.
I'd previously advised him he'd need a VOA (US$35) which he accepted but, during conversation, I found ALL passengers pay for VOA whether they step ashore or not. My friend was advised that Indonesia charges for just entering their territorial waters. I've never heard of anything so absurd...I thought there were International treaties on transiting other countries airspace or sealanes.
Anyone have information on whether other countries apply a similar scam. Also, wonder whether there will be discrimination when RI cancels the VOA for all those other country nationals (excluding Australians).... if they arrive on a cruise.

Last edited:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
My father has taken the Singapore-Sydeny cruise and everyone on the ship pays the VOA.
The minister for maritime services was the one that asked for free VOA to all cruise ship passengers and that started it all.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
My father has taken the Singapore-Sydeny cruise and everyone on the ship pays the VOA.
The minister for maritime services was the one that asked for free VOA to all cruise ship passengers and that started it all.

Fred2...do you mean the ship went from Singapore to Sydney, didn't stop in Indonesia, and everyone paid RI VOA?

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Stopped at 11 ports including Bali were immigration stamped passports & the ship added $35US to everyones onboard account. I supposed the shopping agents paid immigration.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Stopped at 11 ports including Bali were immigration stamped passports & the ship added $35US to everyones onboard account. I supposed the shopping agents paid immigration.

Thanks for the info Fred2.....I think you meant shipping agents as I'm sure the 'shopping' agents made plenty...commission straight to them as soon as the passengers got to the shops and opened their wallets to buy Bali made crap. My pal bought a sex-carving which I think was for a joke...or maybe it was intended to pleasure his wife, as the cruise is for 42 days..:lemo:

I'm just wondering how many cruise passengers from VOA-not-required countries may have unwittingly paid for the VOA. Sun Princess had 2000 passengers on board...that's a straight US$70,000 for VOA for a 8 hour visit...excluding port fees and numerous other taxes added.

Bali Discovery reports that US$95.7M was collected from VOA fees last year in Bali....hardly chump change....and where did it go?

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
Any more news about this new policy? I know nothing moves quickly, just checking.

Teabag

May 23, 2013
Any more news about this new policy? I know nothing moves quickly, just checking.

Hi Sherm

not a news about the policy, but I can confirm, that its not yet applied in Jakarta. Or at least not by the imigration officer who was at the desk when my dougther was there.

She was comming on July 23 from Switzerland via Singapore to Jakarta and was at the border sent back to the VOA desk to get a paid VOA. Costet her 35 US$.

Cheers Teabag

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Same as Teabag...my wife's pal (Indonesian) brought her daughter (Dutch) from Hong Kong to Jakarta last week.....and daughter had to pay US$35.