traffic deaths in the past 5 months

Kadek

Dec 6, 2005
Australia
Re: trafic deaths in the past 5 months

Halo Philip,

I am not comparing it to western countries to give excuses to the nightmares of traffic and bad behaviours of drivers in Bali. Rather I am only trying to say that people take risks - knowingly or through ignorant no matter if there are rules or not. And in the absent of any government direction, education, enforcement of law and regulations, these human tendencies and bad behaviours tend to get exagerated as there are no control - and thus the situation in Bali.

Of course it is first and foremost the governments role to put something in place to change things. But the population must also demand that from the governments - government won't act if the people aren't happy with the way things are. But if the majority of people are only thinking of their own in the moment convinient, than any risk to him/herself as well as others are not part of the decision making that give rise to the bad behaviours?

Cheers
Kadek

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007

One of the justifications for mandatory helmet use in countries such as Australia and Canada (besides common sense) is that these countries provide state funded healthcare. Why should taxpayers incur the expense of stupidity?

I believe that if a person in Australia or Canada is in an accident and they weren't wearing their seatbelt or a helmet, and it is the opinion of the doctors that the injuries could have been avoided or reduced if the subject was wearing a seatbelt or helmet, then the injured subject should be issued a bill for medical expenses incurred by the state.

Ct

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali

Effective or realistic attempts to decrease the growing incidences of road accidents here are hard to find.

You’ve been living on Bali a long time Phil. Surely you have at least noted a huge increase in the number of traffic lights, and much improved road infrastructure during that time.

In any event, this entire string serves as a good self reminder just why I don’t drive in Bali. I never have, and I never will.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA

Roy,

Did it ever occur to you that people die in car or motorcycle accidents even if they are not the driver of the vehicle? :roll:

Actually, call me crazy (that would be the first time anyway), but I love driving my motorcycle in Bali. My wife taught me on her own motorcycle in the US, so I could drive in Bali (No, she does not have a life insurance on my person). I seldom drive her motorcycle in Boston, as I find it unsafe. Since 1967 or 1968, I have been driving in Bali, had several close calls, couple of tabrakan, and invariably each year, I leave (literally) a small blood sacrifice on the road. Love it until last October... I then found that old age, diminished eyesight (I need a cataract operation), and the rather large increase in traffic made it not such a nice experience in the large aglomerations. But in the remote places, riding a cycle is unadultarated FREEDOM. :)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali

Did it ever occur to you that people die in car or motorcycle accidents even if they are not the driver of the vehicle? :roll:

Yes, oh great and enlightened one...it has occurred to me! However, given my ever deteriorating eye sight, (I’m due for another cataract surgery), especially at night, a slowing down of reflex time, and my complete unwillingness to be held responsible for ANY accident I would be blamed for if driving, discretion has taken over my once joy of driving for simple and plain common sense. :roll:

Remember Daniel, I live here, and you don't. I have much to lose by foolishness, and I define freedom in an entirely different language.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007

I love reading you two going at it in a fully fledged pissing match.. I laugh my arse off.. Keep it up guys..

(Seriously - this is not sarcastic)..

Ct

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali

BTW Daniel, I notice that you keep backing up the dates you were first in Bali, as with your last post...

“Since 1967 or 1968, I have been driving in Bali...”

I find these stories to be of endless amusement, and since you never took photographs, as you have often stated, I thought you could use this one to convince others:

You could title it, “me and assistant shaving in Bali in 1936.” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Danielshaving.jpg

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

...Surely you have at least noted a huge increase in the number of traffic lights, and much improved road infrastructure during that time.
Yes I have, Roy.

I've also noticed lots of traffic lights with orange bulbs on the top, many broken and unrepaired ones, others that have been built and never once turned on in years, etc. I also still see, on a daily basis, many road users not stopping for a red light, running red lights, some stopping then changing their minds.

One thing that's always intrigued me is why there are manned police booths at most traffic lights? What's the point of having the lights in the first place if there's a need to have a police contingent "at the ready", presumably to catch offenders? That makes traffic lights a very expensive exercise.

It seems to me that some local road users regard traffic lights as an annoying inconvenience, or maybe even just there for decorative purposes, like lights on a Christmas tree.

For many, the "improved road infrastructure" means they can drive/ride faster. I wonder if anybody's looked for a correlation between "improved roads" and "accidents"?

:shock:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali

I wonder if anybody's looked for a correlation between "improved roads" and "accidents"?

Only you Phil. :roll:

And BTW, when you write,

For many, the "improved road infrastructure" means they can drive/ride faster.

Who is "they?" You drive, don't you? Are you not included with "they?" Don't YOU live here too?

Not to mention any names, as I won't, I did get this e-mail from someone else here on Bali, with far more than equivalent longevity to you, and who had the following comment to add regarding your observations of driving in Bali. Yah, I know it's not fair to not come clean and say from whom this comes, but you can rest assured, it is an authentic observation, so maybe you can you read it within that light:

Sanurian's comment below on fatalities on Bali roads:

"Only last night I was driving home along the By-Pass road in Sanur and spotted a local motorbike rider bearing down behind me at break-neck speed. There was a gap between me and the car in front of less than one metre, (no exaggeration), and the fool took it! "

Now wait a minute here . . .

My recollection of Driver's education is that Sanurian should have been driving at only 16 km/hour as, by his own admisison, there was only one meter between him and the car ahead.

Giving Sanurian the benefit of the doubt, based on his criticism of local driving habits, and further assuming that he is a highly cautious and disciplined driver, I'm going to surmise he was only traveling at between 15-20 km an hour as he followed the car ahead at a "safe" distance for that speed.

His near stationary speed explain why he saw the other driver as "breakneck"and also why the motocycle driver chose to go ahead of him.

In mitigation of the motorcyclist's behavior - you have to give the rider marks for outstanding skill. For reasons that are not clear, a reconstruction based on Sanurian's report is that the motorcycle rider when from driving at a very high speed and deaccelrates to only 15-20 km of speed while adroitly shifting his two-wheeled vehicle into the the "lless than one meter" Sanurian had allowed between his car and the car ahead! Now that's driving at its best.

Is it manic-depressive road rage when Sanurian goes from a crawl admiring "up close" the details of the rear bumper of the car ahead of him to a spirited chase of the motorcycle in an effort to give him what for?

The only possible reason a motorbike driver would undertake such a tactic is clearly not because he was in a hurry. Why would he hurry up just to slow down? I'd suspect that he was trying to irritate Sanurian. By Sanurian's account the motorcyclist was successful, prompting him to partake in a chase, shouting match and the preliminaries to a physical altercation.

Now, don't get upset Phil, as I'm just passing on these words. As you know, I have never driven in Bali, and I never will.

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia

Roy said:
I wonder if anybody's looked for a correlation between "improved roads" and "accidents"?

Only you Phil. :roll:

Actually I agree with Phil, better roads = ability to go faster. The ability to drive faster does correlate with more deaths - any country's road stats will confirm that one. Speed kills.
But it is not the only factor pushing up the death toll in Bali - there are more people using vehicles than ever before, so the death toll rises with that too.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali

OK, that’s fine. I have no problem going back to dirt roads, rocks and all, and at our next banjar meeting, I’ll raise this issue. If it saves money, (which it will), it will pass in our village.

Many thanks Freo for the “heads up” on the “value” of improved and paved roads, versus kampung dirt roads. Your thoughts never occurred to me! :p

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless

Traffic deaths in the Netherlands (2007) 791 people

Traffic deaths in Indonesia (2002) 51.000 people (139 a day)

Roughly 2.2 traffic deaths a day in Bali (2002)

(Comparable to the Netherlands, but... population Bali: 3.5 mill, NL: 17mill.)

Rate of road deaths in 1999 per 100,000

United Kingdom 6
Sweden 6.6
Norway 6.8
Netherlands 6.9
Iceland 7.5
Switzerland 8.2
Japan 8.2
Northern Ireland 8.3
Finland 8.4
Australia 9.3
Germany 9.5
Denmark 9.7
Canada 9.7
Irish Republic 11
Italy 11
Hungary 12.9
Austria 13.4
New Zealand 13.4
Luxembourg 13.5
Belgium 13.7
Czech Republic 14.1
France 14.4
Spain 14.6
USA 15.3
Greece 20.2
Portugal 21
Indonesia (2002, my own calculation) 23.5

But, the mobility of the Indonesian people will be less than the other countries mentioned, so.... And the the type of vehicle as well..... motor cyclists have a much larger chance of getting killed than car drivers.

If all calculations are right, and my guess too, I think that if we put all Indonesians in a car instead, figures will be the same (or better) as "the west". :D

Oh, and I heard that in the "good old days" of tourism, 2 tourists a month died because of motorbike accidents...

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
The funny thing on this string, as I read it anyway, is that what we really have going on here is a clash between the West and Bali. Thanks Bert for your stats, and here to follow are more.

Totally absent from this discussion is the reality of traffic deaths in the US...just to mention ONE western country. So, here are some facts for 2006:

WASHINGTON, July 24, 2007 The number of deaths on U.S. roads fell last year to a record low fatality rate but motorcycle deaths rose for the ninth year in a row.

Last year, 42,642 people died in traffic accidents, a drop of 868 deaths compared to 2005. The 2 percent decline in deaths contributed to a low fatality record of 1.42 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary E. Peters announced Tuesday.

Deaths of people in passenger vehicles continued a steady decline to 30,521, the lowest annual total since 1993, Peters said. Injuries also were down last year, with passenger car injuries declining by 6.2 percent and large truck injuries falling by 15 percent, she said.

The number of motorcycle deaths rose by 5.1 percent last year to 4,810, marking nine consecutive years of increases, said National Highway Traffic Safety Administration statistics.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
...Who is "they?" You drive, don't you? Are you not included with "they?" Don't YOU live here too?...
I presume you meant "Who are 'they?'.."

I do, indeed, live here, Roy. And have been driving here far longer than you've been staying here. Ooops...almost forgot. You're too chicken to drive yourself. You're definitely missing some adventures in that department.
...Not to mention any names, as I won't, I did get this e-mail from someone else here on Bali, with far more than equivalent longevity to you, and who had the following comment to add regarding your observations of driving in Bali. Yah, I know it's not fair to not come clean and say from whom this comes, but you can rest assured, it is an authentic observation, so maybe you can you read it within that light:...
Perhaps you'd care to enlighten me, and others, what you mean by this phrase of yours: "with far more than equivalent longevity to you". Huh?

I couldn't care less where you got your alleged email from. Maybe I should feel honoured that some idiot spent a lot of time writing that mindless, unintelligible drivel in the first place! And of course, if you attest that it's "an authentic observation", it must be true. Is that correct?

Mate, I'm stuffed if I know what drugs you're on, or what your "problem" today is. Come on! Show us all the source and identity of the "phantom e-mailer". Yes, I'm calling your bluff! Go ahead - prove otherwise. I'm mildly interested.

These kinds of posts only vindicate some normal forum members' criticisms of this forum in general. Like, too much childishness, petty bullshit. Some of it might be entertaining for a few. I'm not sure of the rest.

If I'm the only person to suggest a link between bigger roads and more accidents, so be it. More's the pity.

:evil:

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
...If all calculations are right, and my guess too, I think that if we put all Indonesians in a car instead, figures will be the same (or better) as "the west"...
I doubt that, Bert. Whilst the figures you quote are interesting in their own right, one cannot randomly compare statistics from 1999, then jump to some from 2002 and make anything really meaningful out of them.

The other, or the main difficulty with these kinds of figures as they pertain to Indonesia, (in general), and Bali, (specifically), is the lack of available up-to-date statistics. Where are they? Figures from six years ago don't shed much light on what's going on right now!

I drive every day and have been driving here for many years. Also in Java. If I don't see an "accident" somewhere every time I venture on the roads, I start thinking it must be either Nyepi or the petrol ships have been delayed again.

My gut feeling is that there are increasing numbers of road tragedies in Bali. I can't comment on the "rate" because I don't have the figures.

Tonight is Saturday night here. Malam Minggu is always a time for extra caution - more maniacs, more drunks, more fights, more "road rage", more drugs, more dramas...I wish everybody a safe outcome.

:shock:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
[quote:25rkhx51]I do, indeed, live here, Roy. And have been driving here far longer than you've been staying here. Ooops...almost forgot. You're too chicken to drive yourself. You're definitely missing some adventures in that department.
[/quote:25rkhx51]

<Deleted by moderator poster put on moderation>

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia

Roy said:
OK, that’s fine. I have no problem going back to dirt roads, rocks and all, and at our next banjar meeting, I’ll raise this issue. If it saves money, (which it will), it will pass in our village.

Many thanks Freo for the “heads up” on the “value” of improved and paved roads, versus kampung dirt roads. Your thoughts never occurred to me! :p

I did not suggest that Bali go back to dirt roads Roy, why do you have to respond in such a childish manner?

As my earlier post attested I have personal experience with the results of poor road safety in Indonesia. Dirt roads are dangerous, so is speeding on improved roads, so is riding side-saddle, and riding without a helmet.

There well may have been more injuries and less deaths in the days when the roads were poorer and speeding not as easy to do. And less people had vehicles. Many things attribute to the high road toll, some of which I raised in my earlier post - but I don't agree that only Phil would think that better roads means faster driving = more people die when previously they may have just been horribly injured.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Roy writes,

However, given my ever deteriorating eye sight, (I’m due for another cataract surgery), especially at night, a slowing down of reflex time,

We do find ourselves in the "same boat" (although I joined you at the much later age of 71). Last October, I had not been in Bali for two years, and it was a great disappointment to discover this physical deterioration, when I started driving again my motorcycle.

As for your remark about my driving a motorcycle in Bali in "1967 or 1968," you are correct, just a typo: make it "1987 or 1988." In 1967 and 1968, I was teaching at "Big Farm" (Ohio State U.), in Columbus, and was hardly aware of Bali. I thank you for the correction.

<Deleted by moderator poster put on moderation>