LAKROM

Nov 9, 2010
Hello to all! I am very impressed by your forums and I hope that someone will be able to help me as well. I hold US passport and interested to live and work in Bali. I have Masters in Education/TEFL + French, plus experience.
I am currently in Southern India for another month on a spiritual quest & ayurveda and then I would like to come to Bali. I did not find available teaching jobs on internet. My questions are:
1) Are there ESL jobs in Bali at present?
2) Are there any age requirements/restrictions to get a work permit/visa? (I saw a posting on your website that the English First School advised someone about the age requirements for the visa being between 25 and 50 y.o. Is that really so?? I am 52 y. young.
3) Is it a good strategy to come to Bali for a month on arrival visa and meet with schools for potential employment next year? I have a dog in the States, is it difficult to bring your pet to Bali?
4) I would like to hear back, if possible, from a single female about her experience of living in Bali.

Sorry for so many questions, any feedback will be truly appreciated. Thanks!

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
3) Is it a good strategy to come to Bali for a month on arrival visa and meet with schools for potential employment next year? I have a dog in the States, is it difficult to bring your pet to Bali?

Lakrom, your question about dogs is the only one I can address. There is a rabies epidemic currently in Bali and, as a result, no dog importation is allowed. The rabies problem is now being rapidly addressed and will be under control before too long. Then the importation ban should be repealed and this could conceivably happen before you would be ready to move to Bali.

msveuve

Jul 24, 2010
Bali
Hello to all! I am very impressed by your forums and I hope that someone will be able to help me as well. I hold US passport and interested to live and work in Bali. I have Masters in Education/TEFL + French, plus experience.
I am currently in Southern India for another month on a spiritual quest & ayurveda and then I would like to come to Bali. I did not find available teaching jobs on internet. My questions are:
1) Are there ESL jobs in Bali at present?
2) Are there any age requirements/restrictions to get a work permit/visa? (I saw a posting on your website that the English First School advised someone about the age requirements for the visa being between 25 and 50 y.o. Is that really so?? I am 52 y. young.
4) I would like to hear back, if possible, from a single female about her experience of living in Bali.

Hi
I am an Aussie female been here about 6 months and funnily enough came here to teach but found that most of the jobs werein Jakarta for teaching............not on this lovely island.
Thus I am now in property sales.
However thats not to say that you shouldnt work on your plan to come here and approach schools. I didnt do that.
I can send you some employment sites that relate to teaching if you want.
Love to keep in touch with you indeed.
Cheers
veuve

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
There was an recently in the Bali Advertiser that you you might be interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:

LAKROM

Nov 9, 2010
Thank you!

There was an recently in the Bali Advertiser that you you might be interested in:

Thank you all who answered my post so far! I am calling the school and will let you know what happens! Thank you for the dog info, let's hope that by the time I am ready, the rabbies will be over. Veuve, thank you for reaching out, I sent you a private message as my first "friend" in Bali! I hope not the last one :icon_wink: I am new to your website and still cannot figure out how to add my picture... Please write to me about housing in Bali, what monthly budget should I have to live in Bali? approximate costs for a studio/1 bedroom apartment, those sorts of things. Is it difficult to find a nice place to live? I am so excited to be coming to Bali soon! I hope to meet you and have lunch together one day!

Thank you again to all who answered,
Lana~

LAKROM

Nov 9, 2010
trying to get in touch with you

Hi
I am an Aussie female been here about 6 months and funnily enough came here to teach but found that most of the jobs werein Jakarta for teaching............not on this lovely island.
Thus I am now in property sales.
However thats not to say that you shouldnt work on your plan to come here and approach schools. I didnt do that.
I can send you some employment sites that relate to teaching if you want.
Love to keep in touch with you indeed.
Cheers
veuve

Dear Veuve, I sent you an email, I am not sure if you got it as I am still learning the website:)) Thank you for your post, I would like to be able to talk to you in person, is it allowed? I added you as a friend, I am particularly interested in your experience moving to Bali alone. Lana

LAKROM

Nov 9, 2010
There was an recently in the Bali Advertiser that you you might be interested in:

Dear Spicyayam,

I sent you a response but I don't see it here, I am writing again, just in case. Thank you so so very much - I contacted the agency and they asked me to send my CV! I will let you know. Please send me other local websites if you have any in mind. Lana

LAKROM

Nov 9, 2010
Thank you!

Lakrom, your question about dogs is the only one I can address. There is a rabies epidemic currently in Bali and, as a result, no dog importation is allowed. The rabies problem is now being rapidly addressed and will be under control before too long. Then the importation ban should be repealed and this could conceivably happen before you would be ready to move to Bali.

Polyanna, thank you for the info, good to know. I have to face the fact that I need to figure out how to bring the dog to Bali, PROVIDED i find a job here. First things first, though. If you know anything about the process, paperwork involved or costs, as well as if there's a quarantine, please email me. If you know anybody who had brought a dog to Bali, I would like to connect to them. How long are you in Bali, if I may ask? Lana

LAKROM

Nov 9, 2010
Don't see my replies to you!

Spicyayam, I sent you 2 replies and was told that they will be posted after the moderator sees them? What does it mean? other replies worked, just now sent a reply to Polyanna. Anyway, so you know, i called the agency, they want my CV. I will try to stay in touch after I figure out how your website works :=) Lana

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Polyanna, thank you for the info, good to know. I have to face the fact that I need to figure out how to bring the dog to Bali, PROVIDED i find a job here. First things first, though. If you know anything about the process, paperwork involved or costs, as well as if there's a quarantine, please email me. If you know anybody who had brought a dog to Bali, I would like to connect to them. How long are you in Bali, if I may ask? Lana

In normal times when there is not a ban on all dogs entering Bali there is a 2 week quarantine period in Jakarta. Some people don't like the idea of the quarantine and work things out to get their pets through quarantine in a few days. Our dogs went through the two weeks in quarantine while we lived in a hotel and hurriedly looked for a place to live that would allow 2 large dogs and a cat. I have been told by a few sources that the animals are treated weil in quarantine and our dogs, except for being very smelly, seemed happy and well treated. The cat lost weight but that was probably because she was traumatized by the air travel and being away from us rather than the treatment she received. She was calm when she arrived and didn't seem as though she had been ill-treated.
They were brought in by Groovy Pets from Jakarta to Bali and they liked the Groovy handler and he seemed to like them. The best way to learn costs for transport from Jakarta to Bali may be to contact Teresia at Groovy Pets. You also will have veterinary expense in your home country in order to satisfy the Indonesian requirements and you will have pet transport expense. We moved to Bali from Australia and used DogTainers. They were excellent. All this was expensive but for us it was not a choice. We weren't going to leave them behind. Had they not been able to come we wouldn't have either. Groovy checked on our pets while they were in quarantine and were very good about keeping in communication with us.
We moved to Bali in June so we are new-comers.

LAKROM

Nov 9, 2010
In normal times when there is not a ban on all dogs entering Bali there is a 2 week quarantine period in Jakarta. Some people don't like the idea of the quarantine and work things out to get their pets through quarantine in a few days. Our dogs went through the two weeks in quarantine while we lived in a hotel and hurriedly looked for a place to live that would allow 2 large dogs and a cat. I have been told by a few sources that the animals are treated weil in quarantine and our dogs, except for being very smelly, seemed happy and well treated. The cat lost weight but that was probably because she was traumatized by the air travel and being away from us rather than the treatment she received. She was calm when she arrived and didn't seem as though she had been ill-treated.
They were brought in by Groovy Pets from Jakarta to Bali and they liked the Groovy handler and he seemed to like them. The best way to learn costs for transport from Jakarta to Bali may be to contact Teresia at Groovy Pets. You also will have veterinary expense in your home country in order to satisfy the Indonesian requirements and you will have pet transport expense. We moved to Bali from Australia and used DogTainers. They were excellent. All this was expensive but for us it was not a choice. We weren't going to leave them behind. Had they not been able to come we wouldn't have either. Groovy checked on our pets while they were in quarantine and were very good about keeping in communication with us.
We moved to Bali in June so we are new-comers.

How do you like your new life? I think that the most challenging is to not be able to see your friends and family, and meet new friends. It seems to me, though, that the expat community is pretty supportive of each other in Bali.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
How do you like your new life? I think that the most challenging is to not be able to see your friends and family, and meet new friends. It seems to me, though, that the expat community is pretty supportive of each other in Bali.

We both love our new life! We are so glad we are living in Bali and the only thing we would change is to have our family and close friends move to Bali also :icon_wink:. You hit the nail on the head with the greatest challenge or at least it is for us. Even though we miss family and friends we haven't felt a great need to go searching for new friends. We are content here. I agree with you that the expat community is supportive but I am anxious to be fluent in Bahasa Indonesia so I can make more Balinese friends in addition to expat friends. So far we've met, in real life, three BaliPodians and enjoyed the company of them all.
We recently had dinner with four expats and visitors to Bali. There were six of us and I loved our evening. I know this life isn't for everyone but it sure is great for us.

MarJeaZac

Nov 23, 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Curious?

It's been my life-long dream to return to Bali, to live; &, I was hoping to do so, by teaching English, (as a second language) commencing next year, (2013) ...... my Family
resided, in Indonesia, (many years ago) through my Father's employment. I was wondering if you achieved your desired result ...... are you teaching English, in Bali ...... if so,
I was hoping that you would share your experience.

TomYum

Feb 10, 2012
Bali
Hey, that's me now that job... Very new to it so not saying good or bad yet. So far alright

Oh yeah, that address is not right though, that is one long street and they changed the numbers on same buildings! Is that normal here? It's #210 and I know coz some of the school details I got had 106 and some had 210 !! I drove around in circles not good.