Relocation questions

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
Hi Harryopal, we are now in Australia for Christmas and New Year. Okay what were our thoughts about the parts of Bali we saw……..firstly we stayed in Candidasa, definitely not for us, distance to the airport. Then on to the exact opposite, Kuta. Benidorm on speed. An experience let’s say. Then to Sanur. Loved the area, quieter and some really lovely restaurants and shops.
Now for the burning question, could we live in Bali. I’m not sure yet. My husband says he could. So we’ll probably stop there on our way home to Spain for a longer stay in Sanur. We looked at some properties but they were on the west side of the bypass. We prefer the beach side.
Anyway that’s my update. Id like to wish you all a very happy Christmas and thank all of you who have helped with advice over the last few months. Have a great day.
And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too. Best wishes for your decision making.

And Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all Balipod users even if they don't still believe in Santa Claus.
1703468185950.png

Reactions: YachtRock

Dori

Jun 28, 2023
Hi folks. Harryopal asked how our relocating plans were going on the food thread. I decided to reply here as I don’t want to upset Balifrog.
We got back from our travels last week. To be honest I’m undecided. My husband says it’s ok for him. So we have reached a stalemate. If you were to ask me what’s holding me back I really can’t put my finger on it at the moment. Of course nowhere is perfect for everyone, we all have different expectations or needs. So we are still weighing up the pros and cons.

Reactions: Balifrog

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Hi folks. Harryopal asked how our relocating plans were going on the food thread. I decided to reply here as I don’t want to upset Balifrog.
We got back from our travels last week. To be honest I’m undecided. My husband says it’s ok for him. So we have reached a stalemate. If you were to ask me what’s holding me back I really can’t put my finger on it at the moment. Of course nowhere is perfect for everyone, we all have different expectations or needs. So we are still weighing up the pros and cons.
Dori, you terrible tease ... you can't just leave us hanging in suspense (well yes you can actually) but you have whetted our or at least my appetite.

Any pros or cons or even a dreaded SWOT analysis if you are so inclined.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Hi Dori !
Thanks for the consideration for my food tread.
And it's a good opportunity to revive another one !
Concerning your relocation "doubts" may I ask what at the beginning make you considering leaving your home country ? Better weather, lower cost of life, lesss stressfull environnement, etc ?
On my side this was something I decided several decades ago. In the 70's during my Navy days I did 2 long missions in French Polynesia, Tahiti. Remember when we did those aerial nuclear test, driving the Aussies and the Kiwis crazy ? Well, I participated in 10 of those "tests". Explains maybe my "crazy frog" side...
Anyway, seeing all those tropical islands I said to myself "JM, one day you will retire in a place like that". Ok, the lovely local women influenced my decision a bit....
After the Navy I spend 35 years in construction, most of it overseas, worked in many nice places (and a few less nice...), and it just confirmed what I decided.

6 years here, zero regrets.
But then again, considering my livestyle in the past I was never bothered by not seeing my family.

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
I can understand your vacillation and with your husband's mobility problems it becomes quite a bit of a jump. Meanwhile Bali's traffic gets worse, accommodation costs keep rising but then that is now an almost universal pattern. If you were able to find a place in Sanur not far from that waterfront then the use of a wheelchair has a lot more options. The trick then will be to find somewhere affordable.

If you live in the suburbs in Australia it is almost like living in a cemetery. I do appreciate the liveliness of the streets here (apart from the traffic.). And if you are still drawn to Sanur it is a busy area with plenty of variety. I also appreciate that Indonesians are generally polite and smile more easily. Affordability is also a big plus.

Life remains an adventure even as you age. We mostly tend to remain in a comfort zone so it take a big leap of faith to turn your life upside down. Whichever way you turn I hope it works out well.

Reactions: Shadrach