Layby2k

Mar 1, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I know it's a silly basic question but I'm having trouble finding a Potato masher here in Bali (Denpasar). Does anyone know where I can find one? I've looked in Carrefour, Bintang, and other general stores & Supermarkets to no avail.

Thank you.

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
Would you believe I had the same problem not long ago !!!! I looked everywhere and couldnt find anything like a masher !!!!
Then I found one in lotti mart Sanur for Rp 160.500 !!!!!!
Silly me brought it in desperation, then found one in hypermart Sanur a day later for bugger all, go figure !!!! I hope this helps you in some way :icon_biggrin:

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
Pantry Magic

There is a kitchen shop (with all types of kitchenware) on Jl Dewi Sri. It is next to the Roxy/Quicksilver Factory Outlet.

It's called Pantry Magic. If you head down Dewi Sri from Sunset it is on the right hand side close to Kuta Central. A bit pricey but an easy place to buy anything you want for the kitchen.

Pantry Magic Bali Home

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I use a traditional fork 'n spoon combination for the job. Rich expats could train their pembantus to use 'em.

Any local "metal worker" could whip one up for you (pun intended). Many bought ones from expensive outlets are basically crap. Probably break after two or three uses.
Another oddity - Ever tried to find a decent can opener here? There are many Chinese ones that can't open anything (but cheap).

An ordinary hammer can work wonders, too. Wrap up the boiled potatoes in some cloth and beat the hell out of them.

Somebody above mentioned a "hypermart" in Sanur (whatever that is). Where is it? Probably meant Hardy's.

:icon_rolleyes:

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
Hypermart Bali Galleria

Yes Hypermart in Bali Galeria used to have them but they are made from plastic and are really crap because they bend:icon_evil: when you try to mash your potato's. I also have been looking a long time for a sturdy metal one.

Re: a good can-opener.
On one of the upperfloors in Centro in Kuta (same floor where the noisy playground is) is a shop with all kinds of stuff. From cheap guitars to cotton-sticks, bathroomstuff to hometrainers. They also have some good kitchenware (No masher!) I found a real good canopener there some time ago. The type you have to turn a knob. They have also a great selection of cables, adapters, sound- and tv-plugs, antenna-amplifiers etc. just in case someone is looking for that kind of thing.

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
Maybe even Ace Hardwear in Central Garden. They've got a range of kitchen stuff, Im not sure abpout the masher but out of interest its the only place Iv seen so far that has extension leads !!!

The masher I got from Lottemart is great but still....rp160000.

SallyR

Aug 31, 2011
I had exactly this problem when I first came to live here. I think I got one in Lotte Mart/Macro but it broke almost instantly! I then brought one back with me on my next trip to Oz. I agree with someone previously mentioned, I think you would be able to get one in ACE hardware.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
for around rp50000 - rp70000 ..., you could get a killer bulletproof masher made up from stainless steel at the stainless tukang las ...,
flat 4 inch round stainless plate with half inch holes drilled in it , two bits welded to the sides of the maching plate , and going into a 1.25 inch diametre stainless pipe with the ends sealed (ie; welded plate on the ends ) which will act as the handle ........, This should take the tukung 20 to 30 minutes to make MAX ....,

..., and it should last you forever .

They'ed even be able to make it all from offcuts in their scrap heap ....,

Theres a few stainless places in Denpasar on jl sesetan raya ( Dipenogoro) , and another one down jl paulau sinkep.
..., another reason why its great to live in bali.

Last edited: