Post your breakfast, lunch or dinner

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
A simple but 100% North African lunch a few days ago.
Pita bread, merguez and harissa !
Perfect match, and the merguez (local made) were top notch.
Pita bread by my new neighbours (Turkish / Morrocan)

IMG-20240730-WA0000.jpg

And another simple, take away from my usual French place : "jambon persillé"

Terrine of smoked bacon, Paris ham, in white wine, garlic, parsley, jelly.
Lovely .

IMG-20240731-WA0006.jpg

Reactions: Shadrach

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Looks interesting. Not sure about locally made sausages as they don't tend to grind small enough for my tastes - lots of gristle and unidentifiable things in them. Not a huge fan of jellied anything but each to his own, looks nice with cabbage?

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Looks interesting. Not sure about locally made sausages as they don't tend to grind small enough for my tastes - lots of gristle and unidentifiable things in them. Not a huge fan of jellied anything but each to his own, looks nice with cabbage?
i should have said "locally made by a French" ...
Believe me they are very nice. 190 k for 10 pce (around 800 gr)

I gave some to my Maroccon neighbour, let's wait her comment !

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
I
i should have said "locally made by a French" ...
Believe me they are very nice. 190 k for 10 pce (around 800 gr)

I gave some to my Maroccon neighbour, let's wait her comment !
I agree with Markit about the sausages. Luckily as you said, they are made by a Frenchman and a good price. I agree also about the Terrine. The jelly part looks gross, but the ingredients sound delicious. I am willing to try it though. What is Paris ham?

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I

I agree with Markit about the sausages. Luckily as you said, they are made by a Frenchman and a good price. I agree also about the Terrine. The jelly part looks gross, but the ingredients sound delicious. I am willing to try it though. What is Paris ham?
The jelly is lovely, parfumed by the white wine and parsley.
If you don't know what is Paris ham (Jambon de Paris)....my goodness.....

images.jpeg
images-1.jpeg

And for this preparation, cut thick slices.

For the saucages, in a general way, how do expect them to know how it should taste ?
Except if they have been working overseas, or fir an expat chef ?

If you don't know what is Paris ham (Jambon de Paris)....my goodness.....

And for this preparation, cut thick slices.
Got to love a proper parisian jambon beurre - crispy baguette and smoked, thick ham with salted butter. A world away from the bland, thin, laser-sliced ham in the Nethlands. Just following this thread makes me very hungry…

So - quick culinary question for home chef's here -- what kind of hardware do you have in the kitchen? My Indo wife says I won't find/need a full-sized oven (say it ain't so, Joe…)

Reactions: Balifrog

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
Full
Got to love a proper parisian jambon beurre - crispy baguette and smoked, thick ham with salted butter. A world away from the bland, thin, laser-sliced ham in the Nethlands. Just following this thread makes me very hungry…

So - quick culinary question for home chef's here -- what kind of hardware do you have in the kitchen? My Indo wife says I won't find/need a full-sized oven (say it ain't so, Joe…)
Full size ranges (cooktop+integral oven) are available. If you've never used an air fryer you should get one. It will change your life. Ask Markit.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
My brother is on holiday in Bali, so yes, plenty time in the kitchen and way too much whisky and Prosecco.

Meanwhile made some fish fillet for the Miss and me. The main job being the sauce...butter, white wine, fish stock, mustard and dill.
View attachment 4116

Today will be pork fillet, starter is a pasta/ham/tomato/egg salad and a coconut cake for dessert.
Now you finally made a sauce that looks delicious! Before your sauces looked pale and runny. This looks like an excellent meal. I would have left the skin on the potatoes. There is much nutrition in the skin. The salad and cake sound yummy too!

Full size ranges (cooktop+integral oven) are available. If you've never used an air fryer you should get one. It will change your life. Ask Markit.

More than likely, we’re going to end up building our own place, and they’ll have everything - all the mod-cons - I just didn’t know whether the weather/temps was conducive to having an oven in the house. I guess it depends on how the airco is set-up.. ‍;)

We are already old friends with air-fryers - albeit, not for baking or replacing an oven. But that’s for another time - just so long as I can make my own pizzas then we’ll be fine. I had a pizza from a couple of highly-popular “expat” locations in Lovena, and never - never - will we eat that swill again. Instead of a proper garlicky or peppery tomato sauce…ketchup. They used ketchup. We used it as a frisbee. Bah!

I moved out of the US in ‘98, and I’ve had decades to create/collect/cull copy-cat recipes of US and (some) British meals, because even some pizzas in parts of Europe is tantamount to a sin. I grew up with New York pizzas and Jersey “tomato-pie”, bar pies, sicilian pizza so light you eat it faster than you thought possible. In the Netherlands, cardboard pizza reins; pizzas and pastas so dense, even light can’t escape. So I learned to make my own - just want to make sure the tools are available.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
I have a simple oven, microwave and an air fryer which I uae only for French fries.
Thanks Balifrog, for starting this thread about food, and cooking. I would like to get a small table top oven with a rotisserie inside. I have always had an aversion to using a microwave. I don't understand how they work. They seem to me to be somehow radiating the food. The name implies it uses sound waves to cook, but still I don't trust them.It's too much for me to comprehend, so I will just stay with the conventional oven, and grill. I might also get an air fryer someday.

I have always had an aversion to using a microwave. I don't understand how they work. They seem to me to be somehow radiating the food.

It's really nothing to worry about - it's just high-powered radio waves. What basically happens is the frequency the waves are "pitched" to vibrate water molecules. The water molecules (generally on the outside of the food) rub against each other, much like the heat you produce by rubbing your palms together. They're channeled and refocused in the metal cooking chamber (they bounce off of metal, insulating them from you) and are absorbed by the food, which is why you can sometimes have food with a dried-out exterior with a frozen interior.

Also like any oven, throwing it up on high and then subjecting a frozen meal to it will have the same results, so with a little moderation and practice, they're very easy to use and entirely safe (as long a you don't stick a gremlin inside…). And there are some things that are better done in a microwave than in air fryer, and vice versa - that's just the nature of the beasts - but seriously, it's not using radiation, particularly any kind of harmful radiation, only high-frequency sound. I think you'll have more worry using a mobile phone than a microwave.

A nice caveat for having one is that if there's a solar storm, where real cosmic radiation can destroy your electronics, all you need to do is unplug it from the wall and then stow all your phones, laptops, hard disks, etc inside. That metal cooing chamber is a Faraday cage, and it'll protect your sensitive electronics from being fried by the solar winds.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
No
It's really nothing to worry about - it's just high-powered radio waves. What basically happens is the frequency the waves are "pitched" to vibrate water molecules. The water molecules (generally on the outside of the food) rub against each other, much like the heat you produce by rubbing your palms together. They're channeled and refocused in the metal cooking chamber (they bounce off of metal, insulating them from you) and are absorbed by the food, which is why you can sometimes have food with a dried-out exterior with a frozen interior.

Also like any oven, throwing it up on high and then subjecting a frozen meal to it will have the same results, so with a little moderation and practice, they're very easy to use and entirely safe (as long a you don't stick a gremlin inside…). And there are some things that are better done in a microwave than in air fryer, and vice versa - that's just the nature of the beasts - but seriously, it's not using radiation, particularly any kind of harmful radiation, only high-frequency sound. I think you'll have more worry using a mobile phone than a microwave.

A nice caveat for having one is that if there's a solar storm, where real cosmic radiation can destroy your electronics, all you need to do is unplug it from the wall and then stow all your phones, laptops, hard disks, etc inside. That metal cooing chamber is a Faraday cage, and it'll protect your sensitive electronics from being fried by the solar winds.
No thanks. I think I'll stick to conventional stoves. I'd rather hear sounds, rather than cook with them. Everything you described sounds too much like a Stephen King novel. If you like them, then go for it baby. I'll keep my Gremlins under a bridge.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
No

No thanks. I think I'll stick to conventional stoves. I'd rather hear sounds, rather than cook with them. Everything you described sounds too much like a Stephen King novel. If you like them, then go for it baby. I'll keep my Gremlins under a bridge.
Microwave is handy to heat up stuff.
But I dont use it for real cooking.

No

Up to you. It’s fine when you‘re somewhat afeared because you don’t understand something. Refusing to understand it, and living in fear of it…ah well.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Full

More than likely, we’re going to end up building our own place, and they’ll have everything - all the mod-cons - I just didn’t know whether the weather/temps was conducive to having an oven in the house. I guess it depends on how the airco is set-up.. ‍;)

We are already old friends with air-fryers - albeit, not for baking or replacing an oven. But that’s for another time - just so long as I can make my own pizzas then we’ll be fine. I had a pizza from a couple of highly-popular “expat” locations in Lovena, and never - never - will we eat that swill again. Instead of a proper garlicky or peppery tomato sauce…ketchup. They used ketchup. We used it as a frisbee. Bah!

I moved out of the US in ‘98, and I’ve had decades to create/collect/cull copy-cat recipes of US and (some) British meals, because even some pizzas in parts of Europe is tantamount to a sin. I grew up with New York pizzas and Jersey “tomato-pie”, bar pies, sicilian pizza so light you eat it faster than you thought possible. In the Netherlands, cardboard pizza reins; pizzas and pastas so dense, even light can’t escape. So I learned to make my own - just want to make sure the tools are available.
1) Lovena has steeply down-hill in the last 4 or 5 years I'm afraid and that goes for the culinary delights too.
2) Now is probably the most expensive time in the last 20 years to be building/buying your own place on the island that I've seen. Maybe rent something local (your missus will hate it but such is life) until the prices drop again - which they surely will. Just wait for the next volcano/pandemic/earthquake/depression.
3) get one of these huge (fukoff) barbecues that double also as a smoker and pizza oven. An air fryer is the most important human discovery since the pill and will probably get you laid almost as often - women love a good chef, especially if after the meal he can do the dishes/pots and pans with his tongue.
Good luck

1) Lovena has steeply down-hill in the last 4 or 5 years I'm afraid and that goes for the culinary delights too.
I’ve only been there for a few weeks, but it feels as if it’s set in amber. It might take something like an airport to break it up and make it improve (but we all know that’s not going to happen…).
2) Now is probably the most expensive time in the last 20 years to be building/buying your own place on the island that I've seen. Maybe rent something local (your missus will hate it but such is life) until the prices drop again - which they surely will. Just wait for the next volcano/pandemic/earthquake/depression.
Yep, yep - I’ve been sayin the same thing, but the pull to have your own land and home is written deep within humankind. We’ll naturally rent for a while, but once we call it home, the hunt will be on…
3) get one of these huge (fukoff) barbecues that double also as a smoker and pizza oven. An air fryer is the most important human discovery since the pill and will probably get you laid almost as often - women love a good chef, especially if after the meal he can do the dishes/pots and pans with his tongue.
The barbeque is a given. Already have an air fryer, and it’s quite useful - as is the microwave - although neither have gotten me laid. Marriage will do that.