peut_etre_moi

Sep 12, 2009
NY, USA
Hello!

My friend have an ache in stomach in the appendix region. We have never consulted a doctor in Bali. Could you advice a hospital or a doctor, please. Who faced apendicitis in Bali? How was it here?
Today we were told that the operation here can cost from 5.000 to 8.000 US dollars. That's too much for us.
What do you think - if it does appendicitis, it is better to have surgery here in Bali (we're afraid of quality of medicine here) or better fly to another country?
We are from Germany and can not fly home this time.
Any contacts and ideas are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I suggest you go to BIMC (on by-pass near the big roundabout in Kuta) for diagnosis. If it is appendicitis, they will tell you the possibilities. If you are not confident about surgery in Bali, then Singapore is the closest place with good hospitals.

I woke up with such a pain years ago in Australia, and was operated on just 5 hours later, so speed may be very importannt.

Last edited:

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
What ever you do don't go to Sanglah Hospital, I had pains in that region last year and the butchers there diagnosed me with an appendicitis and were ready to cut me open. I ended up checking myself out and going to BIMC where they told me I had Typhoid.

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
I hope by now you have been able to get help for your friend and that everything is ok.

In the event you still require assistance - following are some links that might be of some help. Keep in mind if your friend does not have quality medical/travel insurance all options are going to require significant cost and I hope that family & friends will be able to assist you with this if you do not have access to funds required.

My personal advice (I have no medical background) would be to first seek medical advice in Bali - personally, I would not have any surgical procedure in Bali unless it was an immediate and life threatening situation and there were absolutely no other options available to me. If circumstances allowed the time I would seek two opinions. The following would be my personal first two choices for critical medical advice in Bali:

BIMC hospital would be my first option for advice:

BIMC Hospital – Bali – 24 Hour Medical and Emergency Centre

Prima Medika is a private hospital in Denpesar where I have received excellent care and diagnosis when my father had a stroke - I need to stress that his condition did not require surgery:

Prima Medika Hospital - Home

After receiving first and immediate advice from the above facilities in Bali. If circumstances required and permitted travelling for any necessary procedures I would consider the following regional centers for further advice and procedures.

Singapore - I have never needed to seek serious medical assistance in Singapore however it is the closest major center that offers quality medical/hospital facilities.
BIMC in Bali should be able to refer you to a suitable facility in Singapore (or perhaps ask around for further advice on Singapore hospitals).

Bangkok - Is a little further but has got an excellent hospital Bumrungrad. Again, I haven't needed their services but have had many friends that have had first hand good experience with the hospital. I have visited friends in this hospital and I was impressed with it's facilities and service. It is only a guess but it may be less expensive than options in Singapore.

Bumrungrad International Hospital | World-class Bangkok Hospital in Thailand for Medical Tourism

Perth, Australia is also only a few hours flight from Bali. Australia is the closest country with a public health system which has reciprocal agreements with several European countries. However I don't think Germany has an agreement with Australia and the medical emergency must arise while you are in Australia - so it will likely be of little help. For more information:

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

peut_etre_moi

Sep 12, 2009
NY, USA
I suggest you go to BIMC (on by-pass near the big roundabout in Kuta) for diagnosis. If it is appendicitis, they will tell you the possibilities. If you are not confident about surgery in Bali, then Singapore is the closest place with good hospitals.

I woke up with such a pain years ago in Australia, and was operated on just 5 hours later, so speed may be very importannt.

Unfortunately BIMC has very high price range. Are there any australian or european doctors?

peut_etre_moi

Sep 12, 2009
NY, USA
I hope by now you have been able to get help for your friend and that everything is ok.

In the event you still require assistance - following are some links that might be of some help. Keep in mind if your friend does not have quality medical/travel insurance all options are going to require significant cost and I hope that family & friends will be able to assist you with this if you do not have access to funds required.

My personal advice (I have no medical background) would be to first seek medical advice in Bali - personally, I would not have any surgical procedure in Bali unless it was an immediate and life threatening situation and there were absolutely no other options available to me. If circumstances allowed the time I would seek two opinions. The following would be my personal first two choices for critical medical advice in Bali:

Bangkok - Is a little further but has got an excellent hospital Bumrungrad. Again, I haven't needed their services but have had many friends that have had first hand good experience with the hospital. I have visited friends in this hospital and I was impressed with it's facilities and service. It is only a guess but it may be less expensive than options in Singapore.

Thank you so much!
We now trying to contact Bangkok hospital.

Maybe by any chance anyone heard about Kasih Ibu hospital in Denpasar? We are going to make diagnostics there today.

Feb 7, 2011
My wife says that BIMC is supposed to be the best hospital in this area.

Whatever choice you make, this one should be made fairly quickly because this is not a problem to let go on for long periods of time.

Best of luck!

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Thank you so much!
We now trying to contact Bangkok hospital.

Maybe by any chance anyone heard about Kasih Ibu hospital in Denpasar? We are going to make diagnostics there today.
A friend was treated at Kasih Ibu a couple of years ago with complications from diabetes melitus. The treatment was very good, but also expensive. From memory, it was Rp 50 million for a 10 day stay, including medication.

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
A friend was treated at Kasih Ibu a couple of years ago with complications from diabetes melitus. The treatment was very good, but also expensive. From memory, it was Rp 50 million for a 10 day stay, including medication.

My father spent three nights at Prima Medika in one of the swanky rooms after he had a stroke. He had several consolations with, ER Doctors, Neurologist, Radiologist, Psychologist, CT scan, blood tests, ambulance, numerous medications - the cost was about 10 mil all up.

The cost for the room itself was 1.5 mil per day for two beds and meals. Sounds a bit crazy but I think it is a great holiday idea for people who require assistance with ailments and their carers....pity they don't have a pool.

BTW - he had a smaller stroke last year and we presented to Prima Medika (no hospital stay that time). The diagnosis was spot on and we were advise to get a test in Australia that no Aus doc had ever referred him for (even though he had several small strokes in Aus). The result was an emergency op in Syd that I'm sure saved, or at least greatly improved the quality and length of his live.

During the pre-op procedures in Australia, I showed both the Neurosurgeon and the radiologist the reports from Prima Medika - they said they could not be faulted.

Still...I wouldn't go under the knife there...unless there was absolutely no other option.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Unfortunately BIMC has very high price range. Are there any australian or european doctors?

A consultation with a GP is Rp300,000 (or at least it was recently). Smal compared to airfares anywhere. That should get a diagnosis, then the next step would be to look at the treatment options and their costs.

rasi

Aug 26, 2010
Wow, everyone has such different opinions/experiences about all the hospitals!!

I had my appendix out in Bali in 2008. Went to SOS with stomach pains and they sent me to Prima Medika.... which I would NEVER go to again. Dr was so rude and they demanded all the money up front before they would admit me, even though it was 3am...

Moved to Sanglah (wing international) and was GREAT. Very professional, very clean I felt very safe and would do it again if I had to. Cost around $2000 AUD and that was including about 4 nights in hospital. I got the bill when I left hospital. Didn't have to pay up front.

And I didnt have insurance :( that will teach me...

peut_etre_moi

Sep 12, 2009
NY, USA
So we decided to go to Kasih Ibu Hospital (international wing) kasihibuhospital dot com

GP consultation - 200.00 Rp
USG - 750.000 Rp
Urine test - 30.000 Rp
Prices are for KITAS or business visa holders.

GP was Ok. Nothing special but she did well consultation. After that they made ultrasonography and urine test.
Diagnosis - stones in kidneys. No appendix. That stones are not life-threatening. They give us two kind of prescriptions and recommended to drink a lot of water (minimum 2 litres per day)

Overall - good impression but still everything was in very indonesian style ;) Those who live here for a long time understand what I mean.

Thanks everybody for cooperation!

Julesie

May 4, 2011
Seminyak, Bali
You can't put a price on health... although I do understand that if you don't have the money, you just don't have it... I've been hospitalised in Bali twice now. Once with dengue and once to have my appendix out. Unfortunately, they didn't have key-hole surgery, but the service was fantastic and the hospital is super clean. One of my friend's came to visit me from Australia and she saw the hospital and said that it was so much cleaner than any Australian hospital she'd ever been in.
I have always found the doctors to be super competent and - most importantly - there are some really gorgeous male doctors...the mere sight of them definitely aided my recovery. ;)