Painful insect bites/stings? Anyone know what it is?

Dillonsbungalows

Sep 19, 2013
Hi

the past 2 weeks or so here in Amed I have been biten or stung maybe 5 times. I've never had like this before just wondered if anyone knew what it is? I don't see any insect but the whole area burna and stings and goes bright red for about 30mins or so. Someone said maybe tiny ants?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I am not sure but I seen tourists get a variety of different bites, stings and rashes. Maybe tomcat or even bed bugs? I would suggest seeing a doctor if it isn't better already.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
What Spicy says! Newbies do tend to come up with all manor of interesting and painful skin complaints. It does pass after the first 5 years or so, so my advise is to drink lots and stay in the shade. There are various anti-fungal creams, bite ointments, allergy salves that work more or less so perhaps off to the docs and see what he/she says.

One tip I've found helpful in curing ailments here - tell the doctor right from the beginning that you will buy the medicines he or she prescribes at an apotek - NOT AT THE DOCTORS.

Why? because they have a nasty habit of prescribing for medicines that they happen to have in stock and not necessarily for what complaint you happen to have... Welcome to Bali :icon_twisted:

And I've found doctor price differentials going up to 6 times the Apotek price.

Dillonsbungalows

Sep 19, 2013
Well I've lived here for 3 years and first time I've ever had this. Traveled in Asia a lot and never had like this either. It only last 30 mins or so then it's fine, so I'm not particularly worried about it just wondered what it could be. My husband who is from Amed doesn't know either but said he doesn't think tomcat.

Markit - don't even get me started on the 'doctors'! Luckily the price is no issue with a Balinese husband.

When my 18 month old son had a febrile seizure, we took to the doctor in Culik who was great, then took him back after few days for more antibiotics (why they only ever give 3 days is beyond me!) but it was the doctors wife (also doctor) who told me only give antibiotic if his temp reaches 38c! What on earth is the point of that??

Then took him back few weeks later for paracetamol for another fever when she asked what he ate for lunch which just happened to be pasta, tut tut tut bad mama feeding a toddler pasta. The Balinese believe pasta or noodles make young children panas! I've had the neighbours tutting in disgust at me for feeding Dillon noodles. I just laugh now.

Dillonsbungalows

Sep 19, 2013
Oh yes and the bites are always just outside our garden, their are a lot of the big red ants there but I've been bitten by them a good few times and they don't burn like this.