Options for International drivers licence

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
As far as I know, you can only apply for an international licence in the country where your driver's licence was issued. I wouldn't know how to do it if you are not in your home country. Have some bribe money handy in case you get stopped, maybe.

Xtra josh

Nov 27, 2017
As far as I know, you can only apply for an international licence in the country where your driver's licence was issued. I wouldn't know how to do it if you are not in your home country. Have some bribe money handy in case you get stopped, maybe.

Xtra josh

Nov 27, 2017
Thanks yea ive lived here for alot of years.. need to go to bangkok apparently you can get a 10 yr lic

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
The International Driving Permit (IDP), often (and incorrectly) referred to as International Driving License, is a document that, along with your valid home driver's license, allows you to legally drive a motor vehicle while abroad.

They are usually issued by automobile clubs/associations in your home country. In Australia, every state has its own (and charge differently). Some clubs, (maybe all these days), allow you to apply through their websites. I did one one time through the Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia when my normal licence was from NSW. Total cost was about Rp 300,000.

I suggest you look up the website of the relevant club in your home country.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
The problem is that you have a KITAS only for a year (or IKTA), that means the Indonesian license just valid for a year too...
In the old days you could bribe them - today that is more & more difficult. I must admit I bought a 10 years international driving license from an Australian, it worked...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
. I must admit I bought a 10 years international driving license from an Australian, it worked...

Are you sure it's legal...most International driving permits are only valid for one year.
This from...http://www.aaa.asn.au/international-services/faqs/
'An IDP is valid for 12 months from the date of issue unless your domestic driving licence expires, is suspended or revoked in the meantime.'

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi sakumabali
...I must admit I bought a 10 years international driving license from an Australian, it worked...
There is no such thing as ‘a 10 years international driving license.’ What are you talking about?
What do you mean by ‘it worked’?
I have a retirement KITAS, (second round from the first five years), and now have an Indonesian driver’s licence valid for five years. (And yeah – I know I could have a Kitap.)
I guess the point is that a lot depends upon who you’re dealing with (legally), and what ‘official’ information you rely upon (if you can find it). ‘Requirements’ for this that or the other, and how, or if, they’re pursued, vary. Different people have different experiences.

Of course, here it’s hard to tell between dreams, reality and nightmares. Or something like that.
It's all part of enjoying the 'organised' chaos we live in.

:rolleyes:

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
It's an open forum so let's say I had my doubts ;)
Well anyway you are experienced enough here to know the risk that driving without a valid license will invalidate any medical injury or property damage claims under your insurance, if you have any, and in addition will put you at risk of a large fine or imprisonment if you are unfortunate enough to get into a serious accident involving a local, even if you believe you are not at fault.

Reactions: BuleNyem

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
you guys are all right - that's something you shouldn't do. But you can't get an international driving license online. If you don't have a KITAS and your international 1 has expired & you don't want to buy a ticket to Europe just for that (plus you get hassled by cops every other day)
you take every chance you get....I couldn't find it but it was an international driving license from an united nations organization like Unesco.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re: post # 12 by Johnny Cool.)
Hi...I'm interested in your statement "I have a retirement KITAS, (second round from the first five years),..... (And yeah – I know I could have a Kitap"
I take it you didn't apply for a retirement Kitap after the expiry of the first 5 years on an annual Kitas.
Did Imigrasi just continue to issue an annual Kitas or did you have to start all over, leave RI and return with an Itas etc.?
I'm halfway through my 5 year first Kitap and, due to age and medical condition, don't wish to pay the big bucks for a lifetime Kitap as there isn't any refund if I die soon after. Do you think I can return to an annual Itas/Kitas like you did?

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
you guys are all right - that's something you shouldn't do. But you can't get an international driving license online. If you don't have a KITAS and your international 1 has expired & you don't want to buy a ticket to Europe just for that (plus you get hassled by cops every other day)
you take every chance you get....I couldn't find it but it was an international driving license from an united nations organization like Unesco.
Some countries do allow application for an IDP online, and will post the license to an address within your home country.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Here is a link to an organization that does on line driving permits.

https://www.e-itca.org/license-pass...MIu8ik57fr1wIVkAsrCh38QgchEAAYAiAAEgKzNvD_BwE

I was looking at applying for an Indonesian licence as I get near my expiry date but may try this before that time.

That's a great find Harry and should be very helpful for members.
I note it costs $24 but wonder if that's for the three year permit they say is available...if so that's a great deal also.
Let's know how you get on.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Here is a link to an organization that does on line driving permits.

https://www.e-itca.org/license-pass...MIu8ik57fr1wIVkAsrCh38QgchEAAYAiAAEgKzNvD_BwE

I was looking at applying for an Indonesian licence as I get near my expiry date but may try this before that time.
Not sure about Indonesia, but many countries require residents wishing to drive to obtain a local license within 6-12 months of acquiring lawful residency (in Indonesia this would be kitas / kitap).