Options for International drivers licence

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I repeat: there is no such thing as an 'International Drivers Licence'
The link davita posted above (comment #10) explains the purpose and origin of the International Drivers Permit in clear detail.
You can apply for one on-line from Australian motoring clubs, even if you're overseas, and it will be sent overseas.
The AAA link reckons the cost is AUD 39 (excluding postage), but in my experience, state/territory clubs charge different prices.

And Mark: I've never heard of that 'requirement' in Indonesia. Then again, in the 21+ years I've lived in Bali, I've never had to sit the multiple-choice computer 'driving rules test', nor a practical driving test, nor the so-called 'medical assessment. I can't think of one Balinese friend who has or any of my expat friends. No wonder 50% (generous) of Balinese road users are so nuts behind the wheel or on their bikes.

lush4111

Jul 28, 2015
I purchased a 10 year licence/permit online with these guys:

http://www.idlid.com/

The product is great. Comes with a plastic licence (card) and a book licence (paper).

Both are professionally done and reflect the details of your drivers license from your home country.

With a cost of around $60 AUD for the licence and postage I consider it a bargain.

Indonesian police didn't seem to have any issues with it either.

From memory I think they are based in Canada or the US.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I purchased a 10 year licence/permit online with these guys:

http://www.idlid.com/

The product is great. Comes with a plastic licence (card) and a book licence (paper).

Both are professionally done and reflect the details of your drivers license from your home country.

With a cost of around $60 AUD for the licence and postage I consider it a bargain.

Indonesian police didn't seem to have any issues with it either.

From memory I think they are based in Canada or the US.

The International Drivers Permit that is Internationally accepted by most countries is issued by the Geneva Convention in 1968 amended in 2011. No other plastic nor card type permit is lawful in those contracting countries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic

A feature of the agreement was....
"the period of validity of an international Driving Permit shall be either no more than three years after the date of issue or until the date of expiry of the domestic driving licence, whichever is earlier;"
This was still only applicable to certain States...most only issue a 12 month Permit.
I still have one issued in Vancouver but it only lasted one year.

Indonesia is not a signatory to the Convention and therefore can decide what it wants to construe as an International Driving Permit.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Yes, it’s all confusing.
Even the company linked by lush4111 (#23 above), seems confused.
From that company’s own FAQs page...(bold highlights are mine):

Q: When driving abroad, which documents should I have when driving?
A: A valid Original driver's license along with The International Driver's Permit.

Q: Can I drive with an International Driver's License only? (No such thing.)
A: No, you must have your original driver's license all the time you drive and International Drivers Permit.

Q: Can a person with a revoked or suspended driver's license drive with an International Driver License? (No such thing.)
A: Absolutely not! You must always have a valid original driver's license.

Q: What is an International Driver's license? (Huh?)
A: It's a translation of an original driving document produced in accordance to international standards in 8 different languages.

That last one says it all. If there is no such thing as an International Driver’s license, what’s the use of this company’s “International Driver’s Permit”? To me, this company, (and others like it), don’t appear to know the difference between a license and a permit and don’t care because the world is full of suckers.

As davita pointed out::

...Indonesia is not a signatory to the Convention and therefore can decide what it wants to construe as an International Driving Permit.

The 1968 Convention on Road Traffic was not ratified by Indonesia, so anything goes here until it doesn’t. (Probably as deemed by local traffic police and international insurance companies if you kill or injure a local.)

davita

Mar 13, 2012
A search has found that the only organisations authorised to issue International Driving Permits (IDP) that qualify under the Geneva convention are:
In USA.........AAA or NAC
in UK...... Post Office ; mail from AA: AA in Folkstone.
in Canada... CAA
in Australia...Association Members of Australian AA.

In addition this was found on an Australian AAA site....
Internet IDP Warning.
Counterfeit IDPs are being offered for sale on the Internet, usually at inflated prices. These forged IDPs are illegal and can get the holder into a great deal of difficulty with the traffic authorities in various countries. In Australia only the Australian Automobile Association, through the State and Territory Motoring Clubs, is authorised to issue IDPs.

This doesn't mean that Indonesia doesn't accept other documents as they didn't ratify the convention (previously discussed)...but I'd be very wary as they could be open to interpretation by only the Indonesian officials....nothing new there!!!

This ITCA organisation says it was authorised to issue from August 2017 but I cannot find any independent reference to International Transport Control Association (ITCA) other than the sites they write.

If others can search please post if any info found.

Last edited:

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I'll go further than davita and say that that the ITCA IDP is a totally bogus document. There is no way that ITCA would be able to independently verify the validity of every local driving license in the world and thereby issue an IDP attesting to the validity of that license, which is what an IDP does.

The reason you have to get an IDP through a designated organization based in the country that issues the license (typically the local Automobile Association - AA) is that they have a trusted relationship with the governmental licensing authority and can verify the validity of the license in question. Some online organization like ITCA will never in a million years be able to legally verify with every relevant country or, in some countries, the state or province, that issued the license. Doesn't happen and therefore whatever document they issue as a purported IDP does not legally attest that the underlying license is a valid document. It is therefore worthless. ITCA is a scam. Also telling is the fact that if you google 'international traffic control association' there is only ONE entry, and that is their own website.

Having said that, I'm sure it would fool some cops in Bali, though probably not a court of law and definitely not an insurance company.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Well, its a very orderly scam.. They require download copies of both sides of your driving licence, a download copy of your passport, a passport size photo and a copy of your signature. It will be interesting to see if the "permit" arrives.
At least I haven't just "invested' thousands of dollars in a Nigerian oil fund transfer scheme to net me millions. In reply to one of those emails I replied and said I was not satisfied with 10% of the millions of dollars to be transferred and wanted 90%. The scammer replied and scolded me for being greedy.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
I think when driving here you must be super careful ,making sure your a 100% legal , not just for the cops but more importantly if you have an accident , for sure it will be your fault ,even if its not !.
So therefore your your paperwork must be spot on or your insurance will be cancelled ,and you will be left with a substantial bill.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
It will be interesting to see if the "permit" arrives.

If the 'permit' arrives I'd want to know if the Indonesian road traffic police find it an acceptable document prior to relying on it.
I'd be happy to compare it to the genuine one I have in hand... but since expired.
The first thing is to see which association authorised the permit. If it says 'International Automobile Association' I would be concerned as there doesn't appear to be such an association.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports...ai-international-permitcom-this-compa-1340486
http://www.yscam.com/international-automobile-association-inc-65

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Well, its a very orderly scam.. They require download copies of both sides of your driving licence, a download copy of your passport, a passport size photo and a copy of your signature. It will be interesting to see if the "permit" arrives.
At least I haven't just "invested' thousands of dollars in a Nigerian oil fund transfer scheme to net me millions. In reply to one of those emails I replied and said I was not satisfied with 10% of the millions of dollars to be transferred and wanted 90%. The scammer replied and scolded me for being greedy.
Sounds like a perfect recipe for identity theft...

Reactions: JohnnyCool

harryopal

May 5, 2016
As I made payment using Paypal which supposedly has "buyer protection" I have followed PAYPAL instructions to ask for a refund. So I emailed ITCA and asked for evidence of the legality of the driving permit or a refund.

I can't say I have great faith in the likelihood of getting a refund or meeting Paypal's requirement for "buyer protection" but I will post about the outcomes.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Davita, can you please let me know from where you copied your notes? I had a reply to my email enquiring as to the source of this information.

"A search has found that the only organisations authorised to issue International Driving Permits (IDP) that qualify under the Geneva convention are:
In USA.........AAA or NAC
in UK...... Post Office ; mail from AA: AA in Folkstone.
in Canada... CAA
in Australia...Association Members of Australian AA.

In addition this was found on an Australian AAA site....
Internet IDP Warning.
Counterfeit IDPs are being offered for sale on the Internet, usually at inflated prices. These forged IDPs are illegal and can get the holder into a great deal of difficulty with the traffic authorities in various countries. In Australia only the Australian Automobile Association, through the State and Territory Motoring Clubs, is authorised to issue IDPs.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
As I made payment using Paypal which supposedly has "buyer protection" I have followed PAYPAL instructions to ask for a refund. So I emailed ITCA and asked for evidence of the legality of the driving permit or a refund.
Paypal does have 'buyer protection', but be prepared for a lot of steps in the process. Like the one you mention: contact the seller first, wait for their response, wait, reply to the seller, wait again, and so on until you get to the 'end'. After that, Paypal contacts the seller (I guess): this customer is not happy because of this, that and whatever. Then you have to wait a bit longer to get the final result.
This ITCA organisation says it was authorised to issue from August 2017 but I cannot find any independent reference to International Transport Control Association (ITCA) other than the sites they write.
Exactly (me too)!
Davita, can you please let me know from where you copied your notes? I had a reply to my email enquiring as to the source of this information.
Why do they want to know?

The link from davita's post is:
https://www.aaa.asn.au/international-services/international-driving-permit/
Your Honour, all I wanted was a driving permit. I don't want to go to gaol.
Hahaha. Good luck with that.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I received this reply.

Dear Sir

You are qualified to ask for refund without even mentioning a reason. I will proceed with your refund. However; I would like to inform you that the IDP is a translation of your driver’s license. The driver’s license is the only legal document as being issued by the government.

We have partnerships with car rental companies who are committed to accept our certified IDP.

We had no any reported issue about validity. But since you are Australian and in Australia, off-course you can obtain it from the government as well

Best regards
John

ITCA Team

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re: post # 37
A question I would have asked...
"Please indicate which statute of the UN Geneva convention, or amendments, gives ITCA authority to issue an IDP from any country?"

No one disputes that a driver's license is issued by the Government dept. authorised to issue drivers licenses. An IDP is issued by an Automobile Association directed and authorised by said government....and is a translation of the International agreement.

Having a partnership with a car rental company does NOT allow a person to drive in a foreign country without a legal license and permit.

Reactions: JohnnyCool

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Stone the crows. I just received an email from Paypal that a full refund has been made. Now I feel oddly guilty. As they had asked for the source of the info provided, do you have a web address for that other than the AAA, Davita?

harryopal

May 5, 2016
And another response after I posted the question: "which statute of the UN Geneva convention, or amendments, gives ITCA authority to issue an IDP from any country?"

Hello Sir

If you are interested to know more, we can schedule a phone call and explain to you in details

In any ways, the UN has no power to authorize any entity, only governments does. We have contacted governmental automobile association and got endorsements from many countries by fax or email. Yes, this is yet to be done with Australia and therefore I asked you to kindly share a contact information if you had. If not, no worries, our team are already researching online and I am sure they will contact the Australian Auto Association soon.

If you are interested to know more and have more questions, we can have a phone call

Best regards

John