Nusa Lembongan - Building costs.

Geoffd

Mar 7, 2023
Could anybody give me an idea of building costs for a villa and pool on Nusa Lembongan. Thanks G.

Geoffd

Mar 7, 2023
Thanks Markit, but doesn't really answer my question. I'm after some idea of costs as a comparison to the mainland.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks Markit, but doesn't really answer my question. I'm after some idea of costs as a comparison to the mainland.
Since everything, even the sand for cement must be brought from the mainland your build costs will be significantly higher than there. Usual average costs for a well appointed, western style villa are expected to be between 4 and 6 million IDR/per sq. mtr. Be ready to pay well above that for your island home. Best place to check might be worth a trip to the Gigi's where you'll find quite a few western builders/owners willing to chat.

Geoffd

Mar 7, 2023
Hey Mark, that's good to know. Thank you. Can you tell me what/where the Gigi's are. Sorry for the questions and really appreciate your answers.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Since everything, even the sand for cement must be brought from the mainland your build costs will be significantly higher than there. Usual average costs for a well appointed, western style villa are expected to be between 4 and 6 million IDR/per sq. mtr. Be ready to pay well above that for your island home. Best place to check might be worth a trip to the Gigi's where you'll find quite a few western builders/owners willing to chat.
sorry but these days are over "well appointed western style villa" for 4-6 million Rupiah / m2"
Of course it makes a difference if you do all by yourself or hire people. But honestly who of us will build with his own hands?
To find somebody GOOD who WANTS to build for you BECAUSE it's profitable for HIM is more important. Good contractor find a job everywhere and who wants to have a house from a bad or incapable builder? I don't...count 10 million / m2. I plan on 1000 € / m2
oh and that's Bali prices. I almost once bought a complex on Nusa Lembongan "Playground". didn't happen because of some shady nominee.
As Markt said everything is coming by boat from Bali.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geoffd and tel522

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I'd like to update/correct my previous post. Building on Nusa Penida is about 40% higher than Bali. Building on Nusa Lembongan is even higher than that. For example, if one truckload of sand costs X in Bali, it could be as much as 5X delivered to a building site in Nusa Lembongan.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I once watched a sand delivery on Gili Trawangan - small fishing outrigger boat loaded to the rim with small (5kg?) bags of sand. All hand work - filling, carrying, loading and then unloading. 5x seems like a conservative estimate.

FYI you can't use local sand as it all has salt in it and won't harden correctly because of that.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
plus: if everybody uses local sands for building the once beautiful island will be fecked quickly

I had this once in Pekutatan (West Coast); everybody was stealing sand on the beach with motorbikes (!) and trucks. Everybody said: "Just a little bit"

Glyn

May 11, 2023
Dream Beach Lembongan
Could anybody give me an idea of building costs for a villa and pool on Nusa Lembongan. Thanks G.
Hi Geoff,
Land is not cheap on Lembongan , cov there is not a lot of it.
I have a villa and land at Dream Beach , and i do not regret choosing Lembongan one bit. Yes it is more expensive but it does not fuss me coz the style and vibe of the island suits me down to the ground. One thing to remember is Aussie banks will not lend for building in Bali so cash is king.
Happy to help anytime.
Cheers
Glyn

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
I live in a two year old villa "west" Sanur inside a complex. The builder is well reputed Sanur based Balinese.

The villa is enclosed concept with 4 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms, total 150m2 over two levels. Building is attached to full garage (25m2) and lower standard maid quarter (60m2). Good quality wood windows and doors. Roof extended via wood framing to provide shade. Large western style kitchen. Ground floor is elevated well above ground level to prevent water ingress and no mold seen so far. With pool and bale.

I was told total cost 1.5 Milyar all in -- around 6.5 juta per m2 including garage and maid quarter. The villa is fully furnished which I assume is extra.

Geoffd

Mar 7, 2023
Hi Geoff,
Land is not cheap on Lembongan , cov there is not a lot of it.
I have a villa and land at Dream Beach , and i do not regret choosing Lembongan one bit. Yes it is more expensive but it does not fuss me coz the style and vibe of the island suits me down to the ground. One thing to remember is Aussie banks will not lend for building in Bali so cash is king.
Happy to help anytime.
Cheers
Glyn
Hey Glyn, best way to get in touch with you. If you don’t mind having a quick chat.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
This is a funny conversation. 6.5 juta for a square meter. You might as well be in New York, London, Or Paris for these kind of prices. The concept of buying land is an illusion. If you don't pay your taxes the government takes it back. So basically you are just renting. I remember in the States the native people said to the white man when he came and wanted to buy Seattle. Chief Seattle said, how can we sell the land? We don't own it. We are just caretakers. How do you buy the land, the wind, the sunshine. The fish, water, streams.. this is just a concept is brought over from Europe. Life is short, just be thankful to be here for a short while. And don't get attached to possessions. All things will pass. And the new will come. It's the cycle of the universe. Peace

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
This is a funny conversation. 6.5 juta for a square meter. You might as well be in New York, London, Or Paris for these kind of prices. The concept of buying land is an illusion. If you don't pay your taxes the government takes it back. So basically you are just renting. I remember in the States the native people said to the white man when he came and wanted to buy Seattle. Chief Seattle said, how can we sell the land? We don't own it. We are just caretakers. How do you buy the land, the wind, the sunshine. The fish, water, streams.. this is just a concept is brought over from Europe. Life is short, just be thankful to be here for a short while. And don't get attached to possessions. All things will pass. And the new will come. It's the cycle of the universe. Peace
How Much Land Does a Man Need? Six feet according to Leo Tolstoy in his short story with the same title.

"Pahom goes to buy as much of their land for as low a price as he can negotiate. Their offer is very unusual: for a sum of one thousand rubles, Pahom can walk around as large an area as he wants, starting at daybreak, marking his route with a spade along the way. If he returns to his starting point by sunset that day, all the land his route encloses will be his, but if he does not reach his starting point, he will lose his money and receive no land. He is delighted, as he believes that he can cover a great distance and has chanced upon the bargain of a lifetime. That night, Pahom experiences a surreal dream in which he sees himself lying dead by the feet of the Devil, who is laughing.

He stays out as late as possible, marking out land until just before the sun sets. Toward the end, he realizes he is far from the starting point and runs back as fast as he can to the waiting Bashkirs. He finally arrives at the starting point just as the sun sets. The Bashkirs cheer his good fortune, but exhausted from the run, Pahom drops dead. His servant buries him in an ordinary grave only six feet long, thus answering the question posed in the title of the story."

Glyn

May 11, 2023
Dream Beach Lembongan
I live in a two year old villa "west" Sanur inside a complex. The builder is well reputed Sanur based Balinese.

The villa is enclosed concept with 4 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms, total 150m2 over two levels. Building is attached to full garage (25m2) and lower standard maid quarter (60m2). Good quality wood windows and doors. Roof extended via wood framing to provide shade. Large western style kitchen. Ground floor is elevated well above ground level to prevent water ingress and no mold seen so far. With pool and bale.

I was told total cost 1.5 Milyar all in -- around 6.5 juta per m2 including garage and maid quarter. The villa is fully furnished which I assume is extra.
Hello AuroraB
Wow sounds nice pad and a honest price for what you are getting, well done.
Cheers
Glyn