Marriage protestant/ catholic

sander

Dec 29, 2004
Almere - The Netherlands
www.hamel.it
I got married in Indonesia about a year ago. I am catholic and my wife was muslim. She converted to catholic, however it wasn't that simple.

We went to St. Francis Xavier church in Kuta and she had to go there once a week for about 6 or 8 weeks total for study (learning all the prayers etc.) and after that had to be baptized.

However all went very well and everybody was very helpful.

Marcel

May 1, 2007
Malang
Beste Theo,
Maakt niet uit wat je doet maar maak een contract!!!!

ALTIJD DOEN!!!

Dan is het huwelijk in balans.
In iedergeval veel geluk toegewenst

grtz

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Re: RE: Marriage protestant/ catholic

Hee, we speak English here...

But a marriage contract is advised, also if you want to buy property later on your wifes name

Marcel said:
Beste Theo,
Maakt niet uit wat je doet maar maak een contract!!!!

ALTIJD DOEN!!!

Dan is het huwelijk in balans.
In iedergeval veel geluk toegewenst

grtz

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
I assume you mean a contract for 'gemeenschap van goederen'..

What does it mean exactly, if we married without contract, i can not buy property etc?

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
I mean "huwelijkse voorwaarden", and that is also how its called in Indonesian.. :)

If you you don't have "ownership separated" by contract, everything that is bought in marriage, is owned by both. But this creates a problem for land that is bought by your wife, since you have Dutch Nationality and cannot own property in Bali directly.

sander

Dec 29, 2004
Almere - The Netherlands
www.hamel.it
Right however, I believe its possible to make a contract at the notary about who owns what percentage of land/house property after your marriage as well but I am not 100 percent sure about it.

I had a (dutch) friend in bali who owned a house for 40 percent, his wife 40 percent and his brother 20 percent. After they devorced the house was sold and everybody got his share.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Right.

You can not "buy" it. You can only pay for it.

But, you can supply her with a loan for it, in some form.

Ok, its not romantic, but....

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless

sander said:
I had a (dutch) friend in bali who owned a house for 40 percent, his wife 40 percent and his brother 20 percent. After they divorced the house was sold and everybody got his share.

This cannot have been an official legal agreement.

Foreigners cannot directly own property, but something like Hak Pakai, can be solution if you want something on your own name.

[brl:28k8ixf3]http://www.bali-information.com/bali-news.php/story/17/hak-pakai[/brl:28k8ixf3]

SunFlower

Aug 24, 2007
Singapore - Bali

Bert said:
Right.

You can not "buy" it. You can only pay for it.

But, you can supply her with a loan for it, in some form.

Ok, its not romantic, but....

Theo with prenuptial agreement whatever property in your wife's name will remain hers, even though it's not really hers if you manage to make agreement with her in notary when you buy the land, using nomanee system that stated the land is in her name but you are the one that pay for it, with special loan form (as Bert wrote), the amount of loan usually the price of land + building price which you are going to build. Basically the land in her name but you 'own' it as you are the one that pay for it. In pre nup you can also arrage percentage of how much each other get if the marriage have to end in divorce. It is not romantic but it is good to protect both of you.. for more information about this subject i suggest you go to notary...

Congratulation for you and your love one........ :p

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
yes Sunflower - marriage contract is not romantic... and for indonesian people and family is like like to say them "i don´t trust you". I know a couple that canceled their marriage, than the family is contra pre nup contract.

I´m for pre nup ... and iám sure ...it´s good for both of you.

-Dyah

PS.
To buy property in Indonesia is marriage contract usefull... or your wife must have status "single" :lol:

Marcel

May 1, 2007
Malang
Sorry bert your right ingris sekarang,

Theo
Keep remember my words,always first this contract!!!!
Don´t go for a different status of you new wife KTP.
Only the contract is the way.
And never ever let you family inlaws arrange any of this.
Do it your self ,get thet info also by your self.
Even if the wedding is maybe sooner then you have al your information
Don´t forget this
The best of luck with the wedding.
Ps if you want you could call me if you in Indonesia.

Marcel

May 1, 2007
Malang
Theo I´m not try to atack your wife or family,
But the culture is so diiferent then in holland.
This is so needed for you so your life is in balance with you and your family.
Its a power balance wich will be not in balance if you don´t have a good contract.

grtz
Marcel

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Also keep in mind, although its not very likely she ever will (after all its Indonesia), that if a woman inherits property, and you don't have a contract, she cannot own her own heritage, legally.

But, in Bali the boys get all anyway, most of the time...

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada

Congratulations Theo and significant other! May you two live a blissful, health and happy life!
BaliLife said:
jamie not sure elsewhere but at xmas last yr we attended my sis in laws wedding.. they were set to get married in a pres church (she's indonesian - a presbetarian), but her fiance a catholic... both non-practicing but their families hold pretty strong beliefs... anyhow to make a long story short, the d***head indonesian presb priest (as in my experience most indonesian priests are, d***heads that is), went and started asking her innappropriate questions about their pre-marital sex life in public.. anyhow, they ditched him and got married in the catholic church out near murdoch (perth).. fantastic young priest who even went out of his way to say that all religions are welcome there, as it should be... i (an athiest) often look at man in disbelief of how stupid we are - we divide ourselves over fairytales, and to what avail? anyhow, touchy time for me on the subject as last week we had to confront my mother-in-law (who i love dearly), over her teaching my 3yr old son to pray.. it's not easy to ask your mother-in-law to respectfully not brainwash your children, but it's been done and no hard feelings (at least from my side)...

ct
I'm surprised to hear this, BaliLife, I would have thought that Catholic priests were not at liberty to marry a mixed couple. Could it have been maybe that the marriage was held in a Catholic church building but by a non Catholic priest?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
After reading all of this thread I would go for the "girl friend" option.

Sounds way too complicated for a simple human couple to fight their ways through.

Don't we make our own lives difficult though?