Marriage protestant/ catholic

sander

Dec 29, 2004
Almere - The Netherlands
www.hamel.it
I'm surprised to hear this, BaliLife, I would have thought that Catholic priests were not at liberty to marry a mixed couple. Could it have been maybe that the marriage was held in a Catholic church building but by a non Catholic priest?

Actually the Catholic church officially allows mixed marriages but discourage them because of the dificulties it brings such as raising children, funerals etc.

There is a old dutch saying which says "Twee geloven op een kussen, daar slaapt de duivel tussen" which means if 2 religions sleep on 1 pillow, the devil sleep between them.

The Church tolerates mixed marriages on three conditions:

* Both parties must promise that their children shall be brought up as Catholics;
* The Catholic must promise to endeavour to bring the non-Catholic to the knowledge of the truth;
* The non-Catholic must promise to allow the Catholic liberty for the free exercise of his or her religion. Without these three conditions the Church will not sanction a mixed marriage

Regards,

Sander

JAMIE

Apr 20, 2005
BERGEN COUNTY NJ USA
Im not sure of how the diosese works in Perth , but here in the US ( and most elsewhere) non catholics cant be married in the catholic church . I have been to services in the US where a "rent a priest" is used , they follow the Catholic laws but not in the church , a hall or something like that . That being said we do something here in the US the is not condoned by the vatican , we allow girls to be altar boys ( altar servers is what they now called ) and Rome says the US is breaking Catholic tradition ? so maybe things are differant in other parts of the world . :?:

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
THanks everybody for the concerns, thanks very much. I will sure look into it deeper when I come to Bali in 5 weeks. There I hope to get all the information needed to arrange everything, and hope to get good contacts in order to plan a future life in there. Thanks again.

Theo

rakini

Oct 11, 2006
Perth, Western Australia
Re: RE: Marriage protestant/ catholic

JAMIE said:
Im not sure of how the diosese works in Perth , but here in the US ( and most elsewhere) non catholics cant be married in the catholic church . I have been to services in the US where a "rent a priest" is used , they follow the Catholic laws but not in the church , a hall or something like that . That being said we do something here in the US the is not condoned by the vatican , we allow girls to be altar boys ( altar servers is what they now called ) and Rome says the US is breaking Catholic tradition ? so maybe things are differant in other parts of the world . :?:

Hi Jamie

My parents married in Perth in the late 1950's. My father is Catholic and my mother was Anglican. She decided not to convert (actually they didn't want her as she asked "too many questions"!). However my parents were married in the Catholic church, in fact in the main Cathedral in Perth.

And when it came to religion in the family - my brother and I were Anglican , along with my mother, and my dad remained a "non-practising" Catholic.

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
My brother married an Australian/Italian Catholic (practicing), he is not Catholic, and they got married in a Catholic church, by a Catholic priest, and there were no promises made regarding the faith of the children. The kids have attended a non-denominational Christian school, and it's up to them if they chose a particular sect of the Christian faith.

I think the rules set by the Catholics varies from country to country.

However the mixed marriage question is not just one of faith in Indonesia, actual law exists which restricts marriage between people of different religions. The tolerance of mixed marriages varies in different regions, and seems to be less toerated today than it was in past years.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
yeh i find this hillarious.. i, an athiest, myself christened as an anglican had a fun time telling my mother in law that i saw all non-catholic christians as fake christians (anglicans obviously leading that charge).. i mean, if you don't like it the way it was originally written, then just give it up all together.. trying to manipulate and re-interpret seems futile.. this didn't go down so well given they're all presb's.. that said, i admire the anglican church far more than the catholic church for it's progressive views on safe sex.. (though i don't think non catholic indonesian christians are any more progressive than catholics collectively)..

ct

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
A quick update on the marriage of my lovely girl and me, the date is almost set, on 17th of december, in the catholic church in Kuta... :D :D :D

Right now working on the paper stuff etc.. Legalizing the goodies yadayada..

There is however one thing that is a bit of a hassle, and that is my birth certificate. I am born in Indonesia, but never handed a certificate of birth. This turns out to be quite a pickle.. So for those of you also adopted, just a heads up..

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
Thanks guys,

Jamie, as of right now I do not have to convert. The most important things is that we are both baptised, and I have to vow that I will take up and study the rules of catholicism. My fiancee says that many people before her also did this, so the church in there or the romo is very open minded. This week she will again talk with the romo so then I can make sure.

Ofcourse I will take pictures and post them! I am VERY excited! :D

JAMIE

Apr 20, 2005
BERGEN COUNTY NJ USA
THEO , Its nice to see someone whos excited to get married . You should print your last post and stuff it into your wallet . 10 or 20 years from now , when your at your whits end , the kids are pulling u in three differant directions , your boss is hammering u and the wife have no time to just sit a be the couple who u r now , pull out you wallet and read your post , It'll remind u why your married . I wish I had soemthing to remind me what our marriage ment to me years ago , I ; only being a mortal man , get lost and have to remind myself now and a again whats real and whats not . The last post was very real . great luck in the future !

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
Haha Jamie, yes, I know that.

Well, as far as arranging things with the birth certificate, I just got confirmation from the consulate in Bali that the agency in Jakarta found my birth certificate! :D

So with that it completes all the necessary documents. Yay!

Anyhoo, the big day is 17th of december

Theo said:
I have been surfing the web a bit, but couldn't really find a clear cut answer as to how to go about a marriage between a protestant (me) and a catholic (her). I know which forms etc are needed, but would I need to convert to catholicism? We will surely find out soon though, since I will be getting engaged in december, :D I just thought maybe someone is in the know-how over here..

Thanks,

Theo

Indonesian law is clear about it. If you marry in Indonesia, you must have to have the same faith. You or her will have to convert first. It would be different for eg if you would be Kristen Protestan and if she would be Kristen Pantekosta. It is still legally considered the same religion. However catholicism and protestantism are considered two very distinct religion.
However you can find some comprehensive priests if you look around.