Marriage protestant/ catholic

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
I have been surfing the web a bit, but couldn't really find a clear cut answer as to how to go about a marriage between a protestant (me) and a catholic (her). I know which forms etc are needed, but would I need to convert to catholicism? We will surely find out soon though, since I will be getting engaged in december, :D I just thought maybe someone is in the know-how over here..

Thanks,

Theo

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hell no - just marry the girl and enjoy your lives together. It's all the same God (Allah, Budda, The Big 3, Odin, etc.).

Got married to the best wife in the world, just the 2 of us, in a registry office in Florida so that she could get a work permit for the USA. Now after 30 years together I gotta say that it don't matter even a little bit what comes from outside - religion, big family wedding, money, lack of money, kids, etc. but what you 2 both have together and what kind of shit you're willing to weather through together.

Sorry, aint very romantic on Mondays
Mark :roll:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
If it is in Indonesia I believe that you must both be of the same religion allthough do not accept that as gospel (no pun intended) the has been similar requests for this info before so try a search here. If not google it and I am sure you will find the answer.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Whoops! Theo you were adding important information (to keep me from looking stupid) at the same time I was answering you....

Oh well, still holds true though - just marry her in Holland.

Mark

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
jamie not sure elsewhere but at xmas last yr we attended my sis in laws wedding.. they were set to get married in a pres church (she's indonesian - a presbetarian), but her fiance a catholic... both non-practicing but their families hold pretty strong beliefs... anyhow to make a long story short, the d***head indonesian presb priest (as in my experience most indonesian priests are, d***heads that is), went and started asking her innappropriate questions about their pre-marital sex life in public.. anyhow, they ditched him and got married in the catholic church out near murdoch (perth).. fantastic young priest who even went out of his way to say that all religions are welcome there, as it should be... i (an athiest) often look at man in disbelief of how stupid we are - we divide ourselves over fairytales, and to what avail? anyhow, touchy time for me on the subject as last week we had to confront my mother-in-law (who i love dearly), over her teaching my 3yr old son to pray.. it's not easy to ask your mother-in-law to respectfully not brainwash your children, but it's been done and no hard feelings (at least from my side)...

ct

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
Thanks guys. I actually found out that it would be best to be catholic as well. She couldn't really make it 100% clear, but as she sees it, and that is how I see it as well, we are both christian and believe in God. But since Ind is pretty strict in these matters, I'll find out exactly how and what when I visit her church and talk with the priest. Thnks,

Theo

rakini

Oct 11, 2006
Perth, Western Australia
Hi Theo

To be married in Indonesia both partners need to nominate the same religion out of the five recognised there (Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Catholicism and Protestant). In my case I converted to Islam on the same day as my wedding.

If your fiance is Catholic and you want to marry in her church, then you would need to nominate yourself as Catholic and/or convert.

Rakini

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
this is the problem with the developing world.. it's not just the economy that's under developed in these nations, it's also the minds of legislators..

ct

Cyn's

Jul 31, 2006
New Zealand......Bali soon
Hi all,

I don't often get involved in the conversations here but this one I thought I would contribut my 1000 Rp worth.

Though the laws in Indonesia dictate that couples must be the same religon to be recognised, in practice if you marry outside the country (Indo) then a blind eye is turned.

MY husband and I met in Jakarta 12years ago and married 10years ago (in New Zealand) He is Muslim I am ........................... of no religion but Catholic by default ( was baptisted one but don't follow the teachings and have found no other religion that I can get my head around) have lived all over Sth East Asia and NZ and have never had problems getting our marriage recognised. We are heading to Bali in Dec and have had no problems arrange all the documentation.

Tono's (my husband) family had problems with me not converting but once our daughter was born and they could see that this relationship was honest then the other stuff no longer mattered. Once they got to know me they have never treated me (or our daughter) any different than any of the other in laws.

The point of this is that, like it has been said as long as you two believe that you are meant to be together and that what you have together is "right" then the other wont matter and it will actually all fall into place.

Good luck with whatever choices you make enjoy each other and all those around you will understand your choices.

Cindy

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
Thanks people for your response.

Cindy, thanks for the open answer. Very true words spoken, and yes it will all fall in place as long as we keep our heads focussed on the long term. That's the thing with long distance relations, they should be called long term relations.. :D

She has been engaged before, and her fiancee at that time did do a small study/ course to convert to catholicism. So the matter is clear to me now.

Theo

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
Tintin, except the chance of being molested, what is more bothering to me is the fact that the Catholic Church doesn't approve the use of condoms..

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Show me in the bible where its states you have to stand before any clergy to be married? A marriage according to scripture (Bible)is a covenant between you two and God!! You can do that with a ceramony w/o a priest etc... Drove my pastor of my church crazy, he considered me/wife to be living in sin, his opinion... also why do they always have to be at a funerals??? guess thay have to make themselves more relavant than what they are.... I wouldnt care what the catholic church tells you, research your own questions and find a solution, just dont let the church guilt you into their ways..... They have 2 thousand years of experience in it.....Frog

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
tinti..

you're down-right hillarious.. that is gold and i'm glad it was put out there!!

ct

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Theo,

If you take the time to investigate the question of contraception, you will see that the world's religions are all over the place on it, from the Sikhs (no objections), to the Catholics (DAS IST STRENG VERBOTEN!). Why should you believe these old farts in these churches, who brainwash the minds of their gullible followers? They do not know anymore than you do about the subject, and just make it up as they go, to satisfy their power lusts. :evil: :evil:

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
Hmm, it's sometimes a little hard to follow what you guys are trying to say since I'm not that proficient in English.

Marriage ís a matter of just 3, her, me and God. But since bureaucratism demands that one should have the same religion, so be it. Fact of the matter still remains, it find it somewhat strange to say the least, to set aside principles just for the sake of getting married..