C

CanonMan

Notice three words in the title, not two.

Seen on Sanur Beach recently, fisherman coming in from his daily battle with the deep Oceans. Personally I don't like to see sharks fished but it's not against the law here.

Cheers,
Mark.
Shot with my iPhone, edited in Snapseed App.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hi Mark,

Any idea of the species? They certainly look an unusual species, my guess is Indonesian Houndsharks which are a relatively rare and newly described and completely harmless. I'm surprised there are any sharks left to be caught around Bali.

C

CanonMan

A deep water species for sure, larger iris. I will have to dig out my DeLoach Fish ID books tonight at the house. Will let you know.

Cheers.

kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
At least they are not just finning them and throwing them back, I assume they will be filleted and used (I hope!)

C

CanonMan

Yeah for sure, there are plenty of places in Indo where the finning issue is very apparent, that and sadly the emerging Manta Ray gill raker fishery.

I have no problem with sustenance fishermen fishing sharks. They tend to use the full animal so not just 5% of it as is in the finning issue.

Cheers,
Mark.

C

CanonMan

It's a long drawn out process. I'm currently in discussions with a presenter currently on Discovery Channel to be the 'face' as it were for the project. The complete treatment for the project has been sent to his agents and subsequently out to a network of around 20 potential production companies. I personally wanted to go out there with my own HD Cams and shoot it from the perspective of the local folk, through the eyes of the children, but sadly I've been told that doesn't sell. Whilst I won't accept any sensationalism of the shark theme I will wait to see what the suggestions are. It may well be if I can find the backing to do this privately that I do indeed head out there bushwhacker style.

Cheers,
Mark.

kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
Funding seems to be an issue on most fronts these days, we are back up in West Sumatra diving in August and then heading back to Bali will you be on the island around then?

C

CanonMan

Yep, the way of the global economy, not many pennies around anywhere at the moment, especially it seems for film / documentary production. We should be around in August although I'm planning a trip with the missus to check out a possible move location sometime between July and October so give a shout before you arrive.

pcfhawaii

May 28, 2013
Hmn thats lame!

Mark if you ever want to come see the Bali Shark Conservation nursery, give me a shout.

Paul

medysiregar

Jun 2, 2013
Its not common here in Indonesia, my guessing is.. they will just get the fins and sell the meat for cheap (just my guessing)

pcfhawaii

May 28, 2013
Yes fins to Hong Kong & meat ends up in Bakso Balls (didn't know what that mystery meat was, huh?)

soul_surfer

Jun 22, 2013
Ive worked an dived on oil fields all through Asia and australia.

Unfortunately you very rarely see sharks around the oil fields in asia. Fish life is rare while in Australia sharks are prolific.

Did you know shark finning isnt illegal in Australia. Yeah I didnt either but tuna fishermen ect are allowed to take a certain amount of shark fin and its worth alot of money.
I love sharks and love seeing them. Even fish are cool when you see them in there environment and have plenty of personality. If only they could scream they to would be protected. Apparently shooting a feral pig is cruel but hooking a fish in the mouth, draggin it back to the boat and letting it suffocate out of the water on the beach or in the bottom of the boat is fun for the whole family. :distant:

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
If only they could scream they to would be protected. Apparently shooting a feral pig is cruel but hooking a fish in the mouth, draggin it back to the boat and letting it suffocate out of the water on the beach or in the bottom of the boat is fun for the whole family. :distant:

Surely is one of the worlds greatest (if not THE greatest) sports and pastimes. Get hooked on fishing, not drugs.

Sorry mate but the rest of your post is tripe.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
"Get hooked on fishing not drugs" - the anitpodean Bubba Bush? "Just say NO, mate?!"

What's wrong with drugs? Personally I love em. Only thing wrong with recreational drugs is getting caught by some stupid law person trying his best to fulfill the US goal of international prohibition since the one back in the 30s with alchohol worked so well didn't it?

Fishing is ridiculous unless it's for food. Spend all day trying to catch the aquatic equivalent of a chicken, but with less brains - what's the point?

How did something like fishing ever get the monicker "sport" - the hardest thing in that sport is carrying all your stupid kit down to the water (poles - many, tent, cooler - full of beer, food - lots, grill - for food, sleeping bag, in case of beer/sport induced fainting spell, lures, tools, etc. etc.)

Adam stick to Biology at least nobody here knows when you're talking shite.

Last edited:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
photo.jpg

soul_surfer

Jun 22, 2013
Surely is one of the worlds greatest (if not THE greatest) sports and pastimes. Get hooked on fishing, not drugs.

Sorry mate but the rest of your post is tripe.

I dont have a problem with fishing. I have a problem with people who say shooting is cruel then happily go fishing.