mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Realizing that this subject will touch on controversy; I will take that risk.
I live in West Bali and have for nine years after leaving Mas-Ubud. Having seen everything else on the island I wouldn't trade here for any other location in Bali. We all have our preferences (ok, idiosyncrasies), but the climate is cool and breezy bringing both languid pleasure and a hell of a lot of corrosion. This means going through all kinds of electronics fast. Sometimes a computer lasts not much over a year, and they are certainly tucked away after use and hidden in the safest air tight part of the house.
After that preface my question is does anyone have any concrete knowledge as to the lasting qualities of a Mac in this kind of environment?
My Ipods and Ipad have held up well (oops here comes the curse!). After expensive Toshibas, Sonys my resort has been the cheapest crap that will function initially before they crash. Macs are expensive, simple to operate etc., but will they resist the perils of this climate any longer than the others?
Some guy advertises repairs on Macs in the Bali Advertiser, but I can't reach him by phone or email even if he wouldn't lie.
All replies appreciated.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
A Danish writer/author friend of mine sits his entire existence here on Bali 4 meters away from crashing waves with his Mac computer. He has no computer knowledge other than how to use it but in the 6 years I've known him he's gone through 2 and the last one is still going strong(ish) with only minor DVD player problems.

He swears by his computer guy(Mr. Apple) from DPS that visits him in Candi Dasa as needs be. I'll get you contact details if needed.

Where all of our PCs seem to wear the most is the USB slots corrode quickly - I've found that if you keep something sticking in them then they continue to work. Much like the wife...

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Thanks Mark. You hit it exactly with USB ports. Mac owners seem to be a dedicated lot, and knowing about your friend provides the confidence I need to replace the current dog. I wonder if a hard plastic or nylon device the exact dimensions of the port would work. All the metal inserts rust as well as the ports. Its worth a look see.