belleh

Feb 19, 2011
Hi Everyone
Newbie here, so firstly wanted to say Hi and congratulations on an amazing and informative forum.
Have found so much great information so far lingering in the shadows :icon_biggrin:

I am returning to Bali in August for 6 months.At the moment i am not looking at being an "expat" just engaging in some extended holiday time over the next few years on/off and see how things go.

Just wondering if you could possibly clarify a few things for me in relation to motorbike/car licences if you have had any previous experience with it.
I am getting very mixed reports about some aspects of Licences and these are mainly
on "travel" forums as opposed to an "expat" one like this which i think may have a little more life experience in relation to same.

1: If i have an Australian International Drivers Licence can I hire a car in a bali to self drive or would i need a Balinese licence?

2:I havent had the time to get my motorcycle licence here in Australia so would like to get it from the tourist police station.As i will be getting a licence valid in "relevant" country and actually taking a test, will i be covered for insurance purposes?

3: Is it true that you can get your motorcycle licence from the tourist police station at Petitinget now? as opposed to going into Denpasar?

Thanks

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
For (1) the answer is yes, an international license is OK, for (2) and (3) - I don't know.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
will i be covered for insurance purposes?

This is something you really need to check the fine print on your policy, or even better asking your insurance company directly.

belleh

Feb 19, 2011
This is something you really need to check the fine print on your policy, or even better asking your insurance company directly.

thanks spicyayam......yes i have already, rung 3 in fact and always get the same ambiguous answer unfortunately.
They never go in to any great detail, just tell me they can send me PDS and have a read though as to the exclusions/inclusions blah blah blah.

The fine print on the 3 i have looked at simply states "must have motorcyle licence valid in "relevant" country".
When i have inquired on forums i always get conflicting answers :( was hoping somewhere out there someone may have had an experience with having to claim.

thanks again

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
thanks spicyayam......yes i have already, rung 3 in fact and always get the same ambiguous answer unfortunately.
They never go in to any great detail, just tell me they can send me PDS and have a read though as to the exclusions/inclusions blah blah blah.

The fine print on the 3 i have looked at simply states "must have motorcyle licence valid in "relevant" country".
When i have inquired on forums i always get conflicting answers :( was hoping somewhere out there someone may have had an experience with having to claim.

thanks again

Insurance companies rarely answer any direct questions and always seem to refer you to an incredibly complex document that if you could actually be bothered to read...would leave you with the distinct impression that insurance is a waste of money. Particularly in developing countries as they provide cover but under 1st world conditions - they have an out for pretty much everything.

If it's any help. A friend of mine in Cambodia made a claim on a Mondial policy for his bike - it wasn't covered by his legal Cambodian motorbike licence which is a drivers/car licence that includes motorbikes up to 250cc. They claimed it was a license to drive a car and not a motor bike, as he did not have a motorbike license in his home country. D/L's are obtained in Cambodia by providing your home country D/L. He could have fought it but it involved translation and other fees that that made it not worth his bother.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
when dealin with insurance companies, they are always vague...especially when talking to some helpdesk line or online help..
trust me insurance company's will turn every rock to find an excuse for not paying out on a claim...but I am probably telling you something you already know.
for example if the rented bike is not properly registered, bike of questionable condition at time of rent, crash helmet without SNI stamp/DOT Stamp, etcetc...

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
2:I havent had the time to get my motorcycle licence here in Australia so would like to get it from the tourist police station.As i will be getting a licence valid in "relevant" country and actually taking a test, will i be covered for insurance purposes?
This depends on the travel insurance company. Some policies require a valid licence for the relevant country and some require a valid licence in your home country. You really do have to read the fine print.

I use 1Cover travel insurance and under their General Exclusions it reads:

"We will not pay under any circumstances if:
9. Your claim arises from being in control of a Motorcycle without a current Australian motorcycle licence or you are a passenger travelling on a Motorcycle that is in the control of a person who does not hold a current motorcycle licence valid for the country you are travelling in.

10. "Your claim arises from being in control of a Moped or Scooter without a current Australian motorcycle licence or you are a passenger travelling on a Moped or Scooter that is in the control of a person who does not hold a current motorcycle licence valid for the country you are travelling in."

I do have an Australian motorcycle licence, however I haven't had to make a claim as yet (touch wood).

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Most company's say License must be held in your home country & not over 200cc. Just ride slowly & keep your eyes open, best to get local license encase of police handouts. :icon_mrgreen:

Rainbird

Feb 25, 2011
I just took out travel insurance with iTrek which says you are excluded from coverage if:

You operating a Motor Cycle without You holding a valid licence for the country the Motor Cycle is being operated in or You are a passenger travelling on a Motor Cycle that is operated by a person that does not hold a current Motor Cycle licence for the country the Motor Cycle is being operated in.
I got my SIM C motor cycle licence from the Poltab in Kerobokan. But I have a KITAS. Sorry I can't tell you what the location/procedure is for people who are on tourist visas.

(however, they also add deliberate exposure to exceptional danger unless in an attempt to preserve life, Your own or others. which might include some Balinese roads!)

In relation to the Mondial story mentioned in #6, the exclusions probably said that he was not covered to ride a motor bike without an Australian motor bike licence.. I found Mondial gave very poor service when I cancelled a policy I'd taken out -within the cooling off period- having realised that I wouldn't be covered by them. Took them 2 months and about 8 phone calls to refund my money.. they had no record of the first two times I called and I had to tell THEM when I'd phoned, based on my Skype account!

Last edited: