KITAP retirement visa question

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
Hi
any of you know how much will cost to have unlimited Kitap
next yer i will have to do it unless i want to start from the beginning once again.
I have been quoted 70.000.000 including the first 2 years MERP
Seems a lot
i did found another agent and i was quoted 45.000.000, big difference, but i don't think it's possible to change agent unless you
to start again with kita, one year at the time

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi
next yer i will have to do it unless i want to start from the beginning once again.
Seems a lot
i did found another agent and i was quoted 45.000.000, big difference, but i don't think it's possible to change agent unless you

On the face of it it's up to the individual to do the math.
If young enough, when the occasion to decide demands, it's probably viable to pay Rp70,000 and not be bothered for many years to come.... but for the more seniors, like myself (81), the cost is ridiculous.
So starting over is the best option although a pain in the butt.
Any actuary could work out the benefits but a simple calculator and buying your grandkid an ice cream, to work the math, will be cheaper.

Off the top of my head, and no ice cream or calculator, it would appear the youngest an applicant for the unlimited Kitap would be 63 so it would be beneficial to apply for that Kitap...as one gets older the returns diminish....obviously!

Reactions: lumumba

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
On the face of it it's up to the individual to do the math.
If young enough, when the occasion to decide demands, it's probably viable to pay Rp70,000 and not be bothered for many years to come.... but for the more seniors, like myself (81), the cost is ridiculous.
So starting over is the best option although a pain in the butt.
Any actuary could work out the benefits but a simple calculator and buying your grandkid an ice cream, to work the math, will be cheaper.

Off the top of my head, and no ice cream or calculator, it would appear the youngest an applicant for the unlimited Kitap would be 63 so it would be beneficial to apply for that Kitap...as one gets older the returns diminish....obviously!

yes make sense, Thanks

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
last week the agency told me that it looks like if they will charge an administration fee of 5.000.000 every 5 years
i knew it would happen not enough 70.000.000 which i think is outrageous because after the first 2 years you still have to pay for MERP if you want to go out of Indonesia....if foreigner stop coming here will be bye bye Bali.... this what happen after the Bali bombs. :mad::mad:

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
last week the agency told me that it looks like if they will charge an administration fee of 5.000.000 every 5 years
i knew it would happen not enough 70.000.000 which i think is outrageous because after the first 2 years you still have to pay for MERP if you want to go out of Indonesia....if foreigner stop coming here will be bye bye Bali.... this what happen after the Bali bombs. :mad::mad:

I thought they would not do the 5 year reporting for free , hmm .

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Currently, the unlimited Kitap officially costs around Rp 10 juta (the rest of the outlandish sums being quoted are agent fees), and according to the law, there is no fee for the five year reporting. See the following official English translation of Article 59 of UU 6/2011:

Article 59
(1) Permanent Stay Permit shall be provided for the
period of 5 (five) years and can be renewed for
indefinite period to the extent that his/her permit
is not cancelled.
(2) Holder of Permanent Stay Permit for indefinite
period as contemplated in paragraph (1) must report
to the Immigration Office every 5 (five) years and
free of charge.

So, if the agent is charging a fee for reporting, it is all going directly into their pockets. Note also that the law provides in Article 64 for a maximum two year MERP only, so for those of us hoping that this would be extended to the length of the KITAP, we will have to keep waiting until Parliament changes the law...

Not sure about the situation/requirements for retirees, but for those with a WNI spouse, my advice is to stay the hell away from agents.

Last edited:
Reactions: tel522

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
The mixed married kitap is fairly straight forward and does not require an agents assistance , jimbaran immigration office is professional and helpful not like the old days at the airport .
Unfortunately the retirement kitap is in the hands of authorized agents who will charge what they can get away with .

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
Currently, the unlimited Kitap officially costs around Rp 10 juta (the rest of the outlandish sums being quoted are agent fees), and according to the law, there is no fee for the five year reporting. See the following official English translation of Article 59 of UU 6/2011:

Article 59
(1) Permanent Stay Permit shall be provided for the
period of 5 (five) years and can be renewed for
indefinite period to the extent that his/her permit
is not cancelled.
(2) Holder of Permanent Stay Permit for indefinite
period as contemplated in paragraph (1) must report
to the Immigration Office every 5 (five) years and
free of charge.

So, if the agent is charging a fee for reporting, it is all going directly into their pockets. Note also that the law provides in Article 64 for a maximum two year MERP only, so for those of us hoping that this would be extended to the length of the KITAP, we will have to keep waiting until Parliament changes the law...

Not sure about the situation/requirements for retirees, but for those with a WNI spouse, my advice is to stay the hell away from agents.
thanks

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
The mixed married kitap is fairly straight forward and does not require an agents assistance , jimbaran immigration office is professional and helpful not like the old days at the airport .
Unfortunately the retirement kitap is in the hands of authorized agents who will charge what they can get away with .
thanks

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
As a follow up, my advice for those on a retirement Kitap is to try to do the five year reporting to immigration yourself since it does not involve renewal of the underlying permit. If you're concerned about whether or not this is possible, then just pop down to immigration yourself to ask the question - don't bother with your agent who has a self-serving reason to tell you otherwise. I've been dealing with Denpasar immigration in Renon and they have been incredibly helpful and professional. While you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to ask if you can process a DIY MERP renewal as well.

Reactions: lumumba and tel522

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
As a follow up, my advice for those on a retirement Kitap is to try to do the five year reporting to immigration yourself since it does not involve renewal of the underlying permit. If you're concerned about whether or not this is possible, then just pop down to immigration yourself to ask the question - don't bother with your agent who has a self-serving reason to tell you otherwise. I've been dealing with Denpasar immigration in Renon and they have been incredibly helpful and professional. While you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to ask if you can process a DIY MERP renewal as well.

great idea

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Hi
Seems a lot
SEND ME YOUR WHATSAPP ADDRESS AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE SAME FOR AN EXCELLENT AGENT, ONE WHO WILL HELP YOU SORT OUT ALL YOUR VISA PROBLEMS ALREADY TRIED AND TESTED.

Reactions: Momoney

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm wondering, much like happens in Europe and America, if it might not be cheaper to simply marry a local girl? Pay her say 5 million a year and live under the married Kitas? Possible a stupid question as I don't know how much it costs for a married Kitas... any ideas?

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I'm wondering, much like happens in Europe and America, if it might not be cheaper to simply marry a local girl? Pay her say 5 million a year and live under the married Kitas? Possible a stupid question as I don't know how much it costs for a married Kitas... any ideas?
A one year spouse sponsored Kitas (with one year MERP) costs Rp. 2,055,000. A five year spouse sponsored Kitap (with two year MERP) costs Rp. 5,305,000, which can be renewed for an indefinite period (still have to renew the MERP every two years) for Rp. 10,200,000. The fly in the ointment, however, is the interview. For a Kitas processed in Renon, it is in the immigration office, where one possibly could get away with blagging a 'marriage of convenience', but the Kitap interview is at your home and is pretty intense (neighbors are also interviewed). And, if one managed to skate past the Kitas interview but ever got caught or more likely ratted out, the fraudulent application would certainly result in deportation and black listing for the foreigner, plus a huge fine and potential jail term for the complicit local.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Mark many thanks for your clear and complete explanation and I do take your warnings to heart. If I were to attempt the same thing in Europe or the USA (which many do, successfully) I would be worried that your prognosis of the pitfalls would happen but when I take a realistic view of the situation in Indonesia, in terms of the state watching over it's sheep, I suspect it would be much easier than it initially appears. For instance what if you live somewhere with no neighbors? Whom would they ask? The "normal" living situations of many Indonesians are often very on-again, off again. I think of the weddings perpetrated in more Moslem parts between Arab visitors and local lovelies to conform to Islamic law that last for all of 3 weeks, for example. There are many ways to get around "laws" here and that's one of the things many of us love (and fear). If I am charged 70 milli for a stupid visa I may seriously consider marriage as an alternative. Helps that I'm keen on the locals anyway :)

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
If you want a retirement visa you see a agent, pay the money , you get the visa. Paper work/documents are like Indonesian blinkers they look good but you don't use them.
Immigration said I need photo's of were we live, we took some photo's went back to the office And was told that there must be Immigration officers in the photo's.:mad:
We had two officers follow us to the house, we asked the owners if it was OK for the officers to come in and look around and take photo's.
After some time the officers said you don't live here:p I said we were building a new house, no problem they said and we took some photo's together. No interviews No problems 5 year finished in a month, happy days (Rp2mil)

Reactions: JudyG