JUST HEARD...TELKOM SPEEDY is now in SINGARAJA!

SoonerInBali

Apr 18, 2007
Singaraja
Just heard this great great news...no Telkom isn't the greatest or the fastest or the cheapest, but they're somewhat reliable.

Installing it right now! Bali here I come (again!)

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
...Just heard this great great news...no Telkom isn't the greatest or the fastest or the cheapest, but they're somewhat reliable...
You're right on all counts. However, if the service you get up there is anything like what I'm getting down South, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Just a few points from my current experience:

1. Don't bother downloading their Speedy Alert thing. It doesn't work in Bali (so far).
2. Checking your "usage" on baliusage.plasa.com doesn't work either.
3. Checking your "usage" on Telkom's website will give you super-inflated figures (they're wrong).
4. Regarding the latter, I know because I kept seeing my "usage" there going up at an astronomical rate. I went to Telkom's office for an explanation and eventually got to speak with a "supervisor". I asked for a comprehensive report of my usage to date. It took them a couple of hours to find it. When they did, they sent it to me via email.
5. I noticed that the technician's email to me had a message on the bottom saying that the free version of AVG (anti virus program) was out of date.
6. The complete usage report I got was in bits. I had to convert the information to Bytes, KB, MB, etc. And do a lot of adding up in the process.
7. Telkom technicians appear to regard a "Kilo" of computer data as 1,000 when it should be 1,024. That's obviously to their advantage. We're being ripped-off there.
8. The antivirus program they're offering as a free download, ("Protector"), is an on-line scanning service as far as I can tell. About as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, tits on a bull, etc. I wouldn't bother about it...there are many much more powerful and free alternatives available.

All the above might be symptoms of teething problems. I like the current service and regard it as a huge improvement on the past.

I'd be interested to know how it works for you...

:D

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Hey Philip,

You've already heard my sad stories about the slow connection that I have with my "broadband" company. So, a few weeks ago Telkom gave me a call about the Speedy thing and told me if I came over right away, I would get the modem for free. Hmm...good deal. So I jumped up and ran over to the office and signed up. Well,today after several weeks of waiting and being told besok, besok. They showed up today just after I had paid for another months broadband. Such is life. Unfortunately I was out of the house when they arrived so they left the modem for me to set up figuring once they saw that I had a Mac they wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. So after a bit of messing about, I got it installed and tested it. Works pretty well. It's 15:30 now and my broadband is usually running about around 2kpbs, if at all around now, and I have a connection that ranges from 40kbps to 110kbps.

So, not bad so far. I'll check tonight to see if it works any faster. Now I just need to be able to keep track of the usage. I'd like to keep within my 3GB per month.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Made was practically given a Mac by one of our regular guests - who let him have it for 1 juta. He thnks its the greatest thing since sliced bread - seeing as how it is his but I find it really hard to get to grips with :roll:

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Well Mimpi, I've been using Macs since the first one so I happen to be partial to them, but I've also used the other kind as well and my kids do so they're all right. Easier to buy software for here. What kind of Mac did he get?

Freo, Yes it goes up and down as I understand it. There are a variety of plans. I have the 400,000 rupiahs per month for 3 GB. There is another cheaper one and several more expensive ones.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
What kind of Mac did he get?

A white one :wink:

I just called him its an Mac OSX. And he also just told me he managed to delete all the photos we uploaded to it at the weekend :roll: He is even less technical than me. Infact he isnt allowed to touch my laptop because he managed to delete the operating system in my last one.

Just to show how untechnical he is - he went into the Apple shop at Carrefour's when he was here at the weekend and asked for Apple software - well they dont sell sw but if they had it would have been funny because he didnt even know what he wanted software for infact he doesnt really understand what software is :lol: :lol: :lol:

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Oh yeah, the white one! I have one of those too.posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=21178#

I hear that there is software for the Mac somewhere down in the kuta area. I found a few programs at Rimo, but not much. It's a drawback, but if you have a good connection you can download a lot of stuff. There is a lot of open source software for the Mac which is what I have started using.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
We have no internet at home in Lombok yet - still really bad offerings, though Made is hoping to get hooked up now :D

Mostly he is using it for playing chess at the moment! And he wont be doing that for long unless he buys a power stabilizer!

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
The three main Speedy plans are:

Rp 200,000/month for 1GB
Rp 400,000/month for 3GB
Rp 750,000/month "unlimited"
(Plus tax)

Exceeding the monthly quota costs Rp 500 per MB (0.5Rp/KB). One Megabyte, according to them, is 1,000KB - I thought it was 1,024). And like all ISPs I know in Indonesia, they charge for both downloads and uploads.

One odd thing is that I just received my first bill using the new Speedy service and I was charged Rp 335,000. It should have been Rp 400,000. Maybe I got a discount because I grilled them unmercifully about not being able to check my usage from their website, (which is still the case, by the way). I've heard that they do do this if you have complaints.

The other funny thing is that my normally accurate DUMeter reported that my usage was far more than the "official" TelkomSpeedy figures I eventually coaxed out of them. Mystery.

TelkomSpeedy is obviously having difficulties getting on top of some aspects of their new service. Their band-width meter doesn't work for me any more. And as for the Speedy Alert programme, which warns you when you're approaching your monthly quota limit - it doesn't work for Bali, yet.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Hey Philip,

I've been trying to figure out (beyond my own counter) what sort of bandwidth I've been using. My calls are always dealt with in a Huh? sort of manner. so far I've been given three numbers to contact and none of them seem to know what is going on. Just talked to a computer shop owner here though we agreed and said they were in a test period up here and so not to expect too much.

Be interested in seeing what my bill is next month.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Yes, drbruce
I know the feeling.
...Be interested in seeing what my bill is next month.
Maybe you should "complain" and get a discount.

The usual phone number for them is 147 and then wait. Unless things have changed very rapidly, you won't get any sense out of them. Or, it'll be something like:
You can go to the main office in Denpasar for more information.

Should you be so inclined as to try that, especially if you're coming from North Bali, I would (try) to insist upon talking with a "Supervisor/Manager". Good luck!

I managed to do that, but it wasn't easy. I guess I look like a Bule Terrorist.
I was well prepared with all my usage print-outs so the pooh-bah was somewhat surprised. I've still got her e-mail address, somewhere. You never know - maybe you'll get a discount, too.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
I think that I'll drop by the office where I signed up and see what they have to say there. At the very least we always have a nice conversation. Interestingly enough, after I signed up for Speedy but before I had it installed I had someone calling me every day asking how I liked it. Now that I'm using it no one calls me anymore. One more of Bali's many mysteries.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Good luck at the office. I'm interested in what they tell you.
...after I signed up for Speedy but before I had it installed I had someone calling me every day asking how I liked it...
Same thing happened to us.

Maybe that's why they call it "Speedy".

lucadg

Jan 18, 2009
balangan
www.tripluca.com
Hey drbruce ,
I just got speedy today and as you said they had no idea what to do with a mac.
So I let them configure my wife's Xp and it works.
But now I am stuck as it seems the Mac does not like this modem
I got a Star Net...maybe you have something similar and could help me with the configuration?
I would just need the
TCP/IP
and
PPPo3
screens....
Thanks if you can!

lucadg

Jan 18, 2009
balangan
www.tripluca.com
Hi Bert,
thanks!
Not solved yet, but I opened a specific thread here for future reference

would be great if you could have a look!

Last edited by a moderator:

hans121

Feb 16, 2010
Hi.

I just wanted to share my experience about Speedy near Singaraja.

I'm about 8 km from the Telkom central in Singaraja. When I went there (about 6 months ago), they showed me their packages (3gb - 400.000 RP/month and the "unlimited" package for 750.000/month + 10% taxes + about 30.000 RP connection charges) all packages @ 1mbps speed.
I ordered the unlimited package, technicians came after TWO (!!!) days and made a new phone line to my home, and the next day they sent somebody to test the line, which worked as it should. Unfortunately they didn't give me my username nor password to connect. I called them the next day and they said that the technicians should have given me some papers with my login data....
So, I had to go there, fetch my stuff (including the FREE modem, which they also forgot to give me) and go home to try my new line.
SURPRISE - it worked like a charm.

So far I haven't had any problems during the last 6 months. The speed is most of the time almost at the maximum (mostly between 105 - 116 KB/s) which is surprising.
The good thing is: I hardly ever had a down-time.

Although the product does what it promises, the support is just scaring me with their complete lack of basic knowledge about the internet and their own products. not even the technicians have any idea what they are doing. I'm lucky I could set it up my self. If you don't know how, it might take weeks to get it up and running with the technicians help ;-)

...and the price ( ~ 860.000 RP/month ) is just ridiculous...

greetings Hans