Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Having driven "real" motorcycles and now my NEW Yamaha NMax 150cc automatic. I choose the NMax every time. I look at this picture Mark and see brakes on handle bars and foot rest and presume there's a corresponding clutch lever on the other handle bar side to go along with the gear shift lever on the the other footrest. Let's not forget the throttle that you have to run occasionally too.

Betting there's a fecking kickstart there somewhere as well!

Mate that's a feckload of work you have to do just to get that damned thing moving in an orderly fashion down the road.

Me, I just climb on press the electrical starter and zoom away. Have a front wheel brake on one side and a rear wheal break on the other - I have no clue which is which :O).

I've actually seen some guy riding the damned thing in full lotus position (legs crossed for the non-yogas).

I mean while you are doing all that stuff to get down the road I'm watching the maniacal traffic that's trying to kill me - oh, and the countryside too.

Damned near forgot - mine also has ABS! cause it's all about stopping, not going.

Last edited:

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I mean while you are doing all that stuff to get down the road I'm watching the maniacal traffic that's trying to kill me . . .

Couldn't agree more. My first trip was on a manual Honda Tiger 250 because I thought I'd need the extra power to get up the hills. Turns out any old scooter will do pretty much anywhere in Bali (at least with no pillion passenger). Having to screw around with the gears while passing an overloaded truck (on the hardly existent, inside shoulder) is just cutting it too fine.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Sure, it's horses for courses. For me, the bigger tires provide more stability and maneuverability, the 250 cc more power, and the manual gears greater acceleration and engine braking (especially for going downhill). Once you get used to using the clutch and gear lever (which is not difficult), it's second nature and not a distraction. Happy to say no kickstart tho ;) Fyi, on your scooter, the rear brake is controlled by the left hand lever and the front brake on the right. Good to remember this...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Personally, I'd feel a lot more comfortable and safe with this 250cc Kawasaki Estrella, yours for only 65juta.View attachment 2678

As already stated I know very little about motorbikes or scooters but I'm not un-observant and will defy anyone to carry their family, a dog, a chicken or a stepladder while simultaneously texting on a smartphone and flicking fag-ash, whilst driving that Kawasaki Estrella....but I've seen same on a Honda Beat.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Fyi, on your scooter, the rear brake is controlled by the left hand lever and the front brake on the right. Good to remember this...

Again apologies for my ignorance on the subject but with ABS brakes, as the N400 has, is it not possible to just have one lever to operate both brakes?
Surely the ABS computer monitors both wheels and applies of releases the brake according to the spin of each wheel...in which case why have two levers when one suffices?

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
As already stated I know very little about motorbikes or scooters but I'm not un-observant and will defy anyone to carry their family, a dog, a chicken or a stepladder while simultaneously texting on a smartphone and flicking fag-ash, whilst driving that Kawasaki Estrella....but I've seen same on a Honda Beat.

Sure we've all seen that but how many of us actually emulate that feckless behavior? I can appreciate the scooter lovers out there (my wife is one of them) but much prefer to ride a motorcycle for the reasons stated.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Again apologies for my ignorance on the subject but with ABS brakes, as the N400 has, is it not possible to just have one lever to operate both brakes?
Surely the ABS computer monitors both wheels and applies of releases the brake according to the spin of each wheel...in which case why have two levers when one suffices?

Davita, as you note, the front and rear wheels do not necessarily rotate at the same speed, hence you need a brake for each wheel. In correct riding during dry conditions, braking should approximately be 60-70% using the front brake and 30-40% the rear to compensate for the weight transfer of the bike and rider towards the front of the bike as it slows. ABS monitors both brakes to ensure that neither locks up and causes a skid - it is not a brake actuation mechanism itself - that still needs to be done using the respective levers.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Sure, it's horses for courses. For me, the bigger tires provide more stability and maneuverability Think it's the width of the time you are talking about and they are pretty much the some on my Nmax and your bike, might even be a bit wider on mine.

, the 250 cc more power, and the manual gears greater acceleration and engine braking (especially for going downhill). Once you get used to using the clutch and gear lever (which is not difficult), it's second nature and not a distraction. Funnily enough I still had the necessary reflexes from driving motorcycles years ago - my foot was initially flipping gears and looking for braking and the clutch(brake) handle caused me some grief at the beginning too.

Happy to say no kickstart tho ;) Fyi, on your scooter, the rear brake is controlled by the left hand lever and the front brake on the right. Good to remember this...

Have found equal application works well too.

I think you will find on the ABS models the right brake handle operates both front and rear.

Front and rear what? ABS? Brakes?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Davita, as you note, the front and rear wheels do not necessarily rotate at the same speed, hence you need a brake for each wheel. In correct riding during dry conditions, braking should approximately be 60-70% using the front brake and 30-40% the rear to compensate for the weight transfer of the bike and rider towards the front of the bike as it slows. ABS monitors both brakes to ensure that neither locks up and causes a skid - it is not a brake actuation mechanism itself - that still needs to be done using the respective levers.

I'm familiar with ABS systems...previously called maxarets (manual) as they have been used in my working career on aircraft for many years, prior to any vehicle applications.
The selective manual application of front to rear brakes on a motorbike has been around since I fell of my Norton in 1956...surely technology has advanced since then.
It wouldn't take rocket-science to have a micro-processor normally determine which wheel has priority due to weight distribution etc and, when skidding, which wheel needs to be released...and this can be done in milli-seconds using one lever. Cars only have one brake pedal but the brake application front to back is adjusted and, when skidding, the ABS releases any one, or combination, of brakes, to permit control.

Just read Fred2 and seems, according to him, my idea is already implemented on the ABS model......thanks for the info Fred2.
Seems I'm too late to get some money out of my ideas.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Hi Adam,

They do fish deep waters but at the moment I could not tell you how deep they go except a guest recently posted they were fishing 100-150m. Whether they go deeper or not I can check with Made when he gets back from Bali, where is attending a fishing tournament in Benoa tomorrow. :)

Of course Made can not guarantee a catch but I would say at least 80% of guests do and for the last few months you could make that 100%!

Hi Mimpi,

That is awesome information, thank you (and Made) so much for taking the time to reply to my questions that only another keen fisherman would understand. My past fishing experiences in Bali have been mediocre at best and looking at some of your photo's have got me super keen. A lot of the fish are the same as what we catch in the tropical waters here in WA and in fact and to be honest I'm blown away by some of the catches as I would have thought the waters there would have been heavily overfished and not produced some very quality specimens like those displayed. If I may ask one last parting question it seems like they are fishing some deep waters at times. Any idea what depths they are dropping in?

Mad keen myself now to come and visit and bother Made for a week or two on the high seas. Thanks again for the info and I shall be in touch.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
G'day Markit,

I'm hopping my way to your neck of the woods on Monday till Thurs', Jasri to be exact, primarily for surfing but if you have the time or inclination I wouldn't mind meeting you and discussing grand topics such as, Island hopping on scooters, merits of scooter types, 1937, beer and Trumping in the U.S.A.
I'm coming from Ubud so if you want anything delivered, you know like mung beans or a new yoga mat, just let me know.

Respond or disregard at your leisure. Can pm phone number. I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
That would be grand Steve I'd love to meet up - it's always good to put faces to fingers (typewriting) and ideas. Please PM your number and where you will be staying and we'll organize a meet up. Do you play pool? or like snorkeling? I've got a new snorkel place I've been looking for an excuse to try out in Amed that supposed to be the dog's wobblies or we can just trade lies over ice cold beers and pool.

Anyone else from the forum is also welcome to come along if you've a mind to?

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
G'day Markit,

I'm hopping my way to your neck of the woods on Monday till Thurs', Jasri to be exact, primarily for surfing but if you have the time or inclination I wouldn't mind meeting you and discussing grand topics such as, Island hopping on scooters, merits of scooter types, 1937, beer and Trumping in the U.S.A.
I'm coming from Ubud so if you want anything delivered, you know like mung beans or a new yoga mat, just let me know.

Respond or disregard at your leisure. Can pm phone number. I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :)

I suggest if you want to bring something a stray dog or cat would be a great idea.
Make sure he cooks his famous chicken curry for you with his pickle on the side.

modelt1826

Apr 25, 2010
Wilverhampton UK
last time i was in Lombok was about ten years ago and stopped at Senggigi beach hotel (i think that was the name) the owner come manager was the hash master for the local hash at that time. I have done some travelling through Java down the years even in Ubud you can get knocked off your bike and mugged. However thanks for the warning

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
However thanks for the warning

Not really a warning... more a way of life in a weird world.

I don't want it to sound like it's dangerous or that you shouldn't go but "caution is the mother of the porcelain shop". I just think that if you are seen as a walking ATM should just try and act a little like that too.

A bud and I were seriously talking about going again just to get some more of the Bintang on tap in Sengigi it was that good!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If anyone is interested I'm off on my next island hoping excursion this morning and of course it's pouring with rain - maybe nature is trying to tell me something?

Anyway first stretch is up towards Lovina and Permuteran in the west to see the famous white Starlings if there are any left. Last time saw none at the reserve but one in the wild flying around the pool in Lovina.

Then on to Bang You Wang Me (Banyuwangy) for the ferry crossing and up the left side (north?) of East Java towards the Red Beach and Jember then Malang.

Weather and traffic allowing we want to get all the way up to Jogjakarta within a week or so and fulfill the "cultural" part of the trip and then off to the fleshpots of Surabaya and possibly the Bull Races on Madura. (Can anyone confirm the story of Madura girls learning to pick up Bintang bottles without using their hands? If yes, where can this wonderful feat be seen/experienced?)

Good luck all and would love to meet anyone on the way.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re; post # 58

You might need a map as Banyuwangi (Java) is AFTER taking the ferry from Gillimanuk (Bali). Also, the left side of East Java going to Jember.....faces South.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
If anyone is interested I'm off on my next island hoping excursion this morning and of course it's pouring with rain - maybe nature is trying to tell me something?

Anyway first stretch is up towards Lovina and Permuteran in the west to see the famous white Starlings if there are any left. Last time saw none at the reserve but one in the wild flying around the pool in Lovina.

Then on to Bang You Wang Me (Banyuwangy) for the ferry crossing and up the left side (north?) of East Java towards the Red Beach and Jember then Malang.

Weather and traffic allowing we want to get all the way up to Jogjakarta within a week or so and fulfill the "cultural" part of the trip and then off to the fleshpots of Surabaya and possibly the Bull Races on Madura. (Can anyone confirm the story of Madura girls learning to pick up Bintang bottles without using their hands? If yes, where can this wonderful feat be seen/experienced?)

Good luck all and would love to meet anyone on the way.

When are you back?
Bit worried about your wife entertaining us dont really want to look at flowers and malnourished dogs.
Pics required of the Madura girls