FattyBoomstix

Jan 30, 2011
We are an Aussie family and would love to relocate to Bali. Just wondering how to go about finding Employers that offer work sponsorship? Are there any tricks to being sponsored?
Would appreciate any information about applying for working visas and whether there are agents we should be working with?
Are there any strange laws about number of dependents allowed (Cayman islands requires no more than 2 dependents and we have 3 kids).
Thanks!!
FattyBoomstix

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I think the short answer is "no".

Some threads on this forum discuss teaching English as one job where employers (the schools) will sponsor.

But the system is designed to protect jobs for Indonesians, and since Indonesians are good at many jobs, there are not many opportunities for getting sponsored.

FattyBoomstix

Jan 30, 2011
Thanks for the response! What about professional-type roles? Hubby is a software developer and I'm HR Manager? Do they have a shortage of professionals? Our experience living in Hawaii was that a lot of professionals were 'imported' because they could not find locals with enough experience/ qualifications. Just wondering if things are similar there?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Do they have a shortage of professionals? Our experience living in Hawaii was that a lot of professionals were 'imported' because they could not find locals with enough experience/ qualifications. Just wondering if things are similar there?

The short answer is no and no. You really need to create your own job in Bali, whether it is starting your own business, freelancing or doing a lot of networking to find a job. Check out baliadvertiser.biz they sometimes have some jobs for foreigners on the site, but most are for locals.

FattyBoomstix

Jan 30, 2011
Thanks. I'll check out the baliadvertiser. SO disappointed! We were really excited about the thought of living there..

Last edited:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
So are many but without setting up your own business, retirement or possibly teaching it is almost impossible.

There is much in the archives here with many similar questions to yours. Have you previously been to Bali for any length of time. If not why did you decide on Bali?

Try researching and you will get many answers although I doubt the ones you want. Good luck in your dream.

FattyBoomstix

Jan 30, 2011
Thanks for the response Jimbo. Hubby has been to Bali and loved it. From what I've seen and heard, I'm sure I'd love it too.
It seems like teaching roles pay very low over there, it's hard to imagine surviving on such low salaries (??). I'd be prepared for a career change into teaching, but not sure we'd make ends meet.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
.... Hubby is a software developer and I'm HR Manager?

HR Managers are employed by large companies, organisations etc - they are mostly in Jakarta. Software Engineers would maybe also do better in Jakarta. There are plenty of local software engineers, so it would only be sometimes that an employer would consider the additional costs for an expat would be worth it.

FattyBoomstix

Jan 30, 2011
Thanks RonB. Hubby lived/ worked in Jakarta for a while. We have our hearts set on Bali...Guess we'll have to give it some more thought.