If you had to do it again, what would you bring along?

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
In Asia and Latin America, two of the most populous parts of the world, only 3 percent of all women use tampons.

Tampons and other menstrual products continue to be controversial. The [London] Times Online ran a story on May 7, 2006 entitled "Celebrities Back Tampon Rebels of Zimbabwe," which tells of Thabitha Khumalo, who "has been arrested 22 times, tortured so badly that her front teeth were knocked into her nose and had an AK-47 thrust up her vagina until she bled."
Her crime? Protesting the critical shortage of tampons and pads in Zimbabwe.

When economic problems there caused tampon maker Johnson & Johnson to leave, the price of tampons skyrocketed. A box of twenty currently costs about $16 U.S. in a country where the minimum monthly wage is $32. The article's author, Christina Lamb, tells us:

So desperate is the situation that women are being forced to use rolled-up pieces of newspaper. Zimbabwe already has the world's lowest life expectancy for women--34--and Khumalo believes these unhygienic practices could make it drop to as low as 20 because infections will make them more vulnerable to HIV. "It's a time bomb," she said. The shortage is forcing schoolgirls to stay at home when they start menstruating

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
There is evidence of tampon use throughout history in a multitude of cultures. :D

The oldest printed medical document, papyrus ebers, refers to the use of soft papyrus tampons by Egyptian women in the fifteenth century B.C. Roman women used wool tampons.

Women in ancient Japan fashioned tampons out of paper, held them in place with a bandage, and changed them 10 to 12 times a day.

Traditional Hawaiian women used the furry part of a native fern called hapu'u; and grasses, mosses and other plants are still used by women in parts of Asia and Africa.

Apparently, as time passed, tampons went underground. By the 1930s, when commercial tampons became available, some women were already making their own "out of surgical cotton, cutting strips to size and rolling them tightly for insertion, or they bought natural sea sponges at cosmetics or art supply stores and trimmed them into reusable tampons.

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
g121ff said:
Ladies, save yourself the hassle or buying/tracking down/importing tampons, buy yourself a mooncup (http://www.mooncup.co.uk) costs about the price of 3 boxes of tampons and one lasts a lifetime.
I promise you, you won't look back. Some larger branches of Boots stock them or they're available mail order direct from the company, or get your relations to order and bring one out. :D
I've converted sooo many women to mooncup, I should have shares in the business!

Yes, converted a few myself over the years too. There are a couple of competitors around now, including an Australian brand, I haven't tried them cause my mooncup which is 5 years old is still going strong. I think it will outlast my need for it.

It really works well in Indonesia as the mandi always has a facility to wash right next to the loo. Not as convenient in western public loos back home, but fine for at home.

Sorry guys, I know you dont' want to know. But the other half of the readers might be interested. :mrgreen:

bali my home

Dec 29, 2008
balijohn said:
Hi Anicca,

Do you know..... all this practical advice about knives and stuff going on and all the esscence of Bali is buried here. What do you need to bring?

Bring the following:

1) A willingness to accept that no matter how long you stay here this will always be Bali and you will have been accepted as it's visitor, then guest and then - if you are really lucky - it's resident.
2) Humbleness and humanity
3) Love and compassion
4) An open mind and an open heart
5) Tolerance and a desire to learn

These essential items will always do.... for a start

PS: Quality knives easy in Bali :)

What a beautiful and honest reply.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
The title of this post caught my eye. And I've read every word going back about 5 years. I'm clear about knives and tampons but we're coming on a retirement visa so only half that subject is relevant to me.
I didn't see much written about furniture, computers, small electricals such as the espresso maker, toaster, etc. I'm also wondering about things like our bicycle, motor scooter, and Christmas decorations. I had thought we would pack up a lot of our stuff to move in a container but now I'm wondering if this would be a mistake.
We are making a reconnaissance trip next month so that should help answer some questions. But I'll eagerly listen to all the advice you guys have about the move and the reconnaissance trip

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I didn't see much written about furniture, computers, small electricals such as the espresso maker, toaster, etc. I'm also wondering about things like our bicycle, motor scooter, and Christmas decorations.

I am of the opinion that it is better to bring the least as possible. You can buy some really nice furniture here. Electrical goods are also reasonably priced. Plenty of Christmas decorations on sale around Christmas time.

Computers are also reasonable. Laptops are good and it has been years since I owned a desktop.

JUDY

May 11, 2007
seattle wa campuhan bali
Hi Pollyanna,
I agree with the guys on this one. Furniture is ultra-inexpensive and you can purchase great stuff. Back in l998, June to be exact, during the revolution, I bought $6500.00 worth of gorgeous stuff; enough for a mansion, at "Bali Gong" believe in Mas. Furniture manufactured in Java; therefore, in my humble opinion only ship items you are truly attached to for sentimental reasons. The cost to ship the stuff has to be factored in versus what it would cost to buy new in Bali. I do understand that the prices today are considerably higher than when I purchased all of my gorgeous stuff. At that time the dollar was worth double, plus the prices were extremely low, low, low. :oops: Even a wholesaler could not purchase today what I paid back in June of l998. Go to Bali, check out the prices of new things, then calculate whether shipping your sentimental objects would be worth the time, efforts, headaches, and expense. Good luck.

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
I think the thing I wouldn't go without is my notebook and pen because I usually forgot things that are important especially some ideas I could come up with every adventure I take.
Living in Bali would definitely fill my crave for adventures.