If you had to do it again, what would you bring along?

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Freo - That big American hardware store must be Ace, ya? Don't know where you were looking but they have a specialty counter there that sells many different Henkel knives, as well swiss army and some others - anything you may need. Also there's a good Kitchen supply store next to the nearby Bali Bakery. Cheers.

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
Freogirl posted:"One last thing - I'm sure you already know - tampons. A year's supply, flat packed in plastic resealable bags, easy to get into the suitcase that way, and not heavy. As I said, it's the little things ".

I agree! That post brought me back to the verry first time i came to bali and had 7 of my relatives all looking for tampons,each going a seperate direction.Only one found a small box. Now I know NOT TO FORGET to bring my own supply.These things you take for granted. And then again mostly my suitcase is empty when I arrive in Bali,you can get everything (besides tAmpons).
The opposite is for the trip back,Ending up with double the amount of suitcases,the funniest item I took was a carvedwood trim for a house,several meters in lenth. Cannot fit in my suitcase. Had them saw it into little pieces all 27 inches in lenth-filled that entire case. Yes I know A bit ridiculous! :lol:

alexdave

Mar 16, 2008
Jimbo
Ring Liz on 01709 549 147. She is a travel councillor who books all our flights and has done for the past 5 years. She gets us fantastic prices on flights. Just tell her Alex Foord gave you her number.
Hope this helps

Alex

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Jimbo
Ring Liz on 01709 549 147. She is a travel councillor who books all our flights and has done for the past 5 years. She gets us fantastic prices on flights. Just tell her Alex Foord gave you her number.
Hope this helps

Sorry not quite sure where you are coming from here :?:

balijohn

Apr 19, 2006
Denpasar
Hi Anicca,

Do you know..... all this practical advice about knives and stuff going on and all the esscence of Bali is buried here. What do you need to bring?

Bring the following:

1) A willingness to accept that no matter how long you stay here this will always be Bali and you will have been accepted as it's visitor, then guest and then - if you are really lucky - it's resident.
2) Humbleness and humanity
3) Love and compassion
4) An open mind and an open heart
5) Tolerance and a desire to learn

These essential items will always do.... for a start

PS: Quality knives easy in Bali :)

grastaman

Feb 14, 2005
singapore
since there is a bit of talk on this thread on knives....

doesnt Gourmet Garage in Jimbaran have decent (professional) kitchen quality knives? i thought so.

... and they have decent BBQ's also.

overall, i agree with the generality that most things can be found in Bali.... just keep in mind that you might have to scuttle about to find them. the more esoteric the stuff, the harder you'll have to look (eg spare windsurfing parts, quality fishing eqpt), etc and i hear mixed reports of how good the mail service is, should you decide to mail order from abroad.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Ace Hardware has a complete selection of all the top kitchen knives. There is a special counter for these located just inside the main entrance on the left.

Personally, we don’t bother with these, as the Balinese way is to simply sharpen local knives on a regular basis. Sharpening stones are much cheaper.

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Ace have a much better range now than they did in 2005 when I was looking. (this is quite an old post). At that time there really was not much there in the top of the line items. I checked with the manager and discussed what stock might be coming in, and took the contact details so I could follow up later from Lombok.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
They have a large display and assortment of JA Henkels knives, which IMHO is a huge waste of money. What’s the point of spending 1.5 million on one knife when that amount can keep you in a host of various local knives for a lifetime? :shock:

In our kitchen, we prefer to spend the money on top of the line refrigerators, ranges and ovens. In our view, that’s what can make a difference on what comes out of the kitchen. A sharp knife is just a sharp knife, regardless of what name is stamped on the blade.

The executive chef from Shangri-La in Surabaya, (who has twice cooked in our kitchen) couldn't agree more.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Tampons are available in the supermarkets and even in places like Circle K however they cost about 3 x what they do in the UK, so still worth bringing a years supply as they are light and dont take up much space.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
In case anyone is wondering why tampons have been historically difficult to find here, it’s simply that Indonesian women very rarely use them. That being “said” I will gladly differ all questions requiring expertise on this matter to the other gender. :p

grastaman

Feb 14, 2005
singapore
i got one...

bulk vitamins and Ibuprophen

btw, most OTC and prescription drugs are available at Kimia Apotek (Pharmacy) which are sprinkled all over. they are consistently reliable for non-expired and non-counterfeit medicine... but in Asia it seems that big bottles of Vitamins and Ibuprophen are not so easy to get. even in Singapore, Ibu is sold only in small blister packs.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
On that ilk and not to seem polyannish, we import a large quantity of pre-natal vitamins and calcium supplements for our village. We have been doing this for many years, and the average birth weight in our village is now up to over one half a kilo from ten years ago. That’s a full pound, and it is significant. Over the past three years in our village, there have been no invitro deaths, and no premies either.

The women curse my name during birth, but shortly after, they show up with coffee, sugar and beras to say “thanks” in their own special way. For the Balinese, “matur suksma” is best conveyed by the eyes and face. Eri and I neither look or listen for either.

mileage

Mar 13, 2007
Perth, West Oz
balijohn said:
1) A willingness to accept that no matter how long you stay here this will always be Bali and you will have been accepted as it's visitor, then guest and then - if you are really lucky - it's resident.
2) Humbleness and humanity
3) Love and compassion
4) An open mind and an open heart
5) Tolerance and a desire to learn

Spot on Bali John!

If you don't bring these, you probably won't last long enough to need the rest.... :)

g121ff

Dec 4, 2008
Ladies, save yourself the hassle or buying/tracking down/importing tampons, buy yourself a mooncup (http://www.mooncup.co.uk) costs about the price of 3 boxes of tampons and one lasts a lifetime.
I promise you, you won't look back. Some larger branches of Boots stock them or they're available mail order direct from the company, or get your relations to order and bring one out. :D
I've converted sooo many women to mooncup, I should have shares in the business!