At the moment, tidal power is being tested to power these desalination plants, making use of the natural resouses of the ocean twice.
I understand the indo govt is reluctant to allow foreign practice....a bit strange realy, as it would solve their problem of water.

Tidal power is great in theory, but usually requires the generation point be set up at a tidal bottleneck or rivermouth etc where max flow and velocity can be sourced. No such river in Bali I dont think. Turbines would get clogged with all the plastic and trash that gets thrown into the waterways too.
This rainy season was a pretty dry one rain wise here....a few more like it and Bali could be in real trouble with water.

Desal uses a stack of energy/fuel in the conversion process (a lot of high pressure pumps squeezing water through membranes). Bali's already short on electricity.

I think you hit the nail on the head hinakos. PDAM has different rates for different classes of users, but villagers pay Rp800 per cubic meter here. On a blog at Large scale desalination: is there enough energy to do it? lightbucket -- they suggest it requires 5 kilowatt hours of power to get 1 cubic metre de-salinated. I have seen somewhere that the "un-subsidused" price from PLN is about Rp1,500 per Kwh - so this would put the cost of a cubic metre of desal water at about Rp7,500 - almost a 10-fold increase.

So I think it's not viable.

Another disadvantage is that there is a lot of waist water for every so many gallons of potable water, unless you are able to re-direct the “no good water” for other use. :icon_wink:

I hadnt considered the plastics clogging the system, however, i am sure if done properly, a filter could be used.
You are right Lumumba, there is a fair amount of "reject water" as we call it, but is just sent back to the ocean, as the desal plants are located right near the coast. It may even be able to be used for irrigation.
I sense a fair bit of negativity towards desalination plants in Bali. However, unless you can come up with a rain dance that works, or you all start showering in beer, i dont see any alternatives and the island is in big trouble.

On doing some research on power and water for Bali, I came across www.solarpowerindonesia.com . Some very good information here, and products available in Bali. No prices but interesting this is available in Bali. The office is in Nusa Dua. The water filtration systems come from Australia as i guess the solar power systems. For someone looking to invest longterm in a house in Bali, well worth a look.

On doing some research on power and water for Bali, I came across www.solarpowerindonesia.com . Some very good information here, and products available in Bali. No prices but interesting this is available in Bali. The office is in Nusa Dua. The water filtration systems come from Australia as i guess the solar power systems. For someone looking to invest longterm in a house in Bali, well worth a look.

Until now I guess it has been 20 years since we didn't heat water with solar power everywhere we've lived. But we left Solar Power Indonesia stunned at the price of solar hot water. I guess we've become spoiled in Australia where solar hot water is government subsidized. We've decided to go with gas powered instant hot water instead.

We also checked on solar power systems for electricity and that also was too expensive to contemplate.

Yea, cost is always going to be a factor in solar power in any form. However, in the long term, solar is free from the sun and the initial cost of setting it up will be recuped over the years. It is a long term investment. Solar panels can be made by oneself and am investigating that now.
Small reverse osmosis systems for water purification are also long term investments.

Home made solar panels will not last in this weather because of humidity, they'll need to be factory sealed or you're just wasting your time and money, what ever you do don't buy those ebooks on how to make you're own, all the information can be found on google and youtube and the claims they make are straight up lies. If you really want to make your own check out Solar Energy Forum | Solar Panel Questions | Solar Help Desk and also this thread Personal DIY Solar Websites Showing Successful Projects

Home made solar panels will not last in this weather because of humidity, they'll need to be factory sealed or you're just wasting your time and money, what ever you do don't buy those ebooks on how to make you're own, all the information can be found on google and youtube and the claims they make are straight up lies. If you really want to make your own check out Solar Energy Forum | Solar Panel Questions | Solar Help Desk and also this thread Personal DIY Solar Websites Showing Successful Projects
Thanks BKT, will check this out. :icon_e_smile:

Back