kewdos

Hi..am looking for a homeschooling set up for my 12 year old son. Doesnt cope with mainstream class sizes.we are living in kerokoban.. either a tutor to come here, or a small school set up he could attend..Thanks!

This is the school we currently attend. Having done private, public, traditional Homeschooling, and this program. (we travel a lot) k12 is incredible. From flexibility, quality of the cirriculum, etc my (5) kids happiness and curiosity re education have exploded. We've been so pleased. Caveat, for us the cost is covered under our residency. The students come from all over the world, but its not free if you're not in the states attended charter virtual. If the expense is exorbitant, or this option isn't for you, let me know. I have more choices; just shared the ideal one :)

Okay. Am not allowed to post links on this blog, but there is more than one k12, not all equal :). Google "south Carolina virtual charter school". That is our charter school, which utilizes the 'k12' program. Get to scvcs then over to k12 proper to get more info. If that doesn't work we'll swap emails :)

I used the Laurel Springs curriculum for two years. Within those years my daughter learned to read and write English. She was in a German school (and is now again) before that and could not read at all (neither English nor German). I was very happy with this school as they did not enforce just writing but accommodated the fact that my daughter is more the drawing type and English was not her first language. We had an appointed teacher with whom we had direct email contact to help us along the way.

The only reason I had to put my daughter back into a traditional school system was because I travel a lot (am the sole bread winner) and we were getting behind on our curriculum. I would pick up home schooling anytime again.

How does someone who get's home, or via email or virtual schooling get an diploma?
can one continue further education, like get into a regular college/university?
Have no kids yet, but curious as to how this works...

Ar you not worried about the lack of social interaction? There are a few school with very small class sizes. If your son is 12 years old, he'd be in year 7 or 8? At Sunrise School, there are currently 4 kids in year 8 and 7 kids in year 7... The new term starts on October 17. He could do a trial day first.

I went on their website. There are no prices listed. I am doing preliminary research and am not interested in corresponding with the school. Is it possible you can post what the price would be for someone living in Indonesia?

We will move to lombok soon with two young boys. Currently there is only one international school there and it's an hour or more from our home. Looking for possible alternatives.

interested as well

Could you please post what cost are for the K12 as like Tom above, im looking to move to Bali, but have no schools near where we will be living, thanks in advance Tracy

These are the fees for Sunrise for 2011-2012. SW means Small World, which is 18 months old and rates vary for how long they are at school in a day for. KS stands for 'Key Stage' as it follows the British Curriculum.

Sunrise currently goes up to year 9, but if the demand was there, they would probably go right up to year 12.

Tuition Fees Only (per term) Level Annual Tuition Fee in US$ Annual Levy in US$
480 SW A 1920 310
585 SW B 2340 310
730 SW C 2920 310
730 Playgroup 2920 450
730 KS 1 (KG) 2920 605
1135 KS 1 (Year 1 & 2) 4540 605
1305 KS 2 (Year 3-6) 5220 1030
1340 KS 3 (Year 7-9) 5360 1135

Of the Sunrise students that I know that have completed year 9, most of them have gone onto other international schools and they have all done well. One student moved to a good school in Austria, where he ended up teaching English to his English teacher before winning a scholarship at a reputable arts school.
If students move to other countries, they usually just need to take their school reports with them. If they are going on to university, they may need to do a bridging course or some sort of test, but this would happen if anyone was going to school in another country.
Most of the international and national plus schools offer some sort or internationally recognised certificate.

And... there is always studying online as an option... but I think that is best done as an adult, not during childhood or adolescence. You need to learn social skills during your growing years. Degrees and diplomas are easily studied online. You just have to be self-disciplined. I did my masters degree online. It's hard without having direct instruction.

Back