Happy moodfood stories, tell us yours!

We have quite a few fishing ponds all around our village in Java, though none that I know of as regular fish restaurants. Every couple of weeks or so, usually on a sunday, fishing competitions are held that are sometimes attended by up to 200 anglers plus just as many bystanders. Your entry money is converted into x amount of kilo's of Lele which are then released into the pond and then it's on for young and old. When fishing slows down more Lele are added until the comp comes to a close, bags weighed in and winners walk of with their prize as well as a swag of fish. Despite being quite 'lame' as an angling experience, they sure are a lot of fun with the usual hype and madness that occurs at most Indo social gatherings without having to put up with screeching Dangdut vocals being distorted thru over-volumed speakers. I've had a go quite a few times and while being an almost unbeatable competitive angler here in Oz, I get completely blown away by the locals over there, some of them live and breathe for their Lele competitions I think :D .

Anyway, back to Bali moodfood. For me, personally, if I need to recharge the enthusiasm batteries I can't go past the Grilled Pork Knuckle, sauerkraut and fried potatoes at Mama's on Jl Legian in Kuta. Yes, I know, I know, far from Indo fare but sometimes I just gotta fill up on meat and this dish comes with the 2 most important food groups (meat and potatoes) plus a little veg for garnish, that doesn't taste like veg. An added bonus is draft beer to wash it down with. Quite possibly the best influence Europeans have had on Bali... :wink: :shock: :D (...ducking bullets now...).

Adam

Sorry for the delay in posting a pic of the fish :oops: ...

[attachment=0:30r3nau0]resized blue fishy.jpg[/attachment:30r3nau0]

I have to say this time it wasn't as good as before, it looked the same, way of preparing it was the same, costs the same so I have no clue why?
Anyway the company I had when eating this was great. :D .
friendly greeting...gilbert,

ps: anyone know the name of the fishy now? I know it isn't Nemo :lol: .

Attachments

• resized blue fishy.jpg
    resized blue fishy.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 57
gilbert de jong said:
Sorry for the delay in posting a pic of the fish :oops: ...

[attachment=0:hywgquat]resized blue fishy.jpg[/attachment:hywgquat]

I have to say this time it wasn't as good as before, it looked the same, way of preparing it was the same, costs the same so I have no clue why?
Anyway the company I had when eating this was great. :D .
friendly greeting...gilbert,

ps: anyone know the name of the fishy now? I know it isn't Nemo :lol: .

That's a wrasse.

ps: anyone know the name of the fishy now? I know it isn't Nemo
How do you know that? For instance, I've met a few Balinese who've used Nemo as a nick-name for themselves, believe it or not.

Your fish looks either dead to me or in a state of suspended animation. Did you only have one? Two might be called The Blues Brothers. :D

It could be a wrasse or parrot fish, as others have suggested. We'd need a better photo of it, preferably with its mouth open so we can see the teeth structure. Unlikely now since you've already eaten it.

I know very little about fish in any scientific sense. I know how to catch some of them, cook 'em up and eat them. Also to stay out of the way of some of the bigger ones (like sharks).

I'd rather eat a properly prepared fish than a plate of meat and potatoes in a faux German restaurant based in Bali. Then again, some of the (staff) mamas at "Mama's" are worth fishing for, maybe.

If you haven't been hooked already (and loving it).

:)

After having restaurant-food for 3 weeks non-stop it is a little bit difficult to surprise my tongue.
And somehow the menus are all the same here in Lovina. Today I ate Thai food (just like yesterday and the day before y'day... :D ) and although it was tasty, it is not exactly Thaifood, it's a taste-a-like.
But this ice cream...Normally I don't eat dessert, it's just too sweet, but today I had homemade vanilla icecream and it was so good, I had to laugh out loud! Haha... a full taste, no too sweet... just perfect.

Jasmine Kitchen, nice sit upstairs, mellow music. Small gang/Jalan Binaria (to Dolphine Statue)

my husband prepare my moodfood "salmon" without cooking, just to cure the salmon in mix of rough salt, rough sugar, pepper, juniper, allspice ...
by putting a layer of this spice-mix over salmon filet Sprinkle dill on top and rub it all over the salmon and place in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, gently press down with something weighty like mortar :) ...
Before serving you have to loose the salmon from spice-mix, enjoy with brown bread and exellent butter...

JohnnyCool said:
Your fish looks either dead to me or in a state of suspended animation. Did you only have one? Two might be called The Blues Brothers. :D

It could be a wrasse or parrot fish, as others have suggested. We'd need a better photo of it, preferably with its mouth open so we can see the teeth structure. Unlikely now since you've already eaten it.

I know very little about fish in any scientific sense. I know how to catch some of them, cook 'em up and eat them. Also to stay out of the way of some of the bigger ones (like sharks).

:)

I'd say: this is English humour... :)

To Dyah:
Wow Dyah, this sounds good... so you eat it raw after it's been marinated for a couple of days...
Mmm...I can imagine this very thin sliced...salmon carpaccio with fresh made pesto with parmesan or a very old cheese... Oeeff...yes please!

Lately I am dreaming of doing groceries in a huge supermarket, spending hours hunting for interesting stuff, and then go back to my kitchen asap to paint with flavours and colours.

Right now I am craving for...sushi and kimchi... sigh... :roll:

@Dyah, that recipe sounds delicious!

@Miso I like going to Kunti's in Kuta for a sushi fix. Prices are reasonable and comparable enough to what you can get in Japan. If you find out where you can buy Kimchi in Bali, let me know.

I've found Ryoshi to be more popular but Kunti to be much tastier and a better value. I see many more Japanese people eating at Kunti compared to Ryoshi as well.

i hope ... i can show you my picture
17138_221758108157_789888157_3047688_5692559_n.jpg

17138_221758123157_789888157_3047689_3583329_n.jpg

Dyah, thanks for the pics...it looks ...festive...and fishy.. :)
Talking about salmon...

Combination champaign- strawberry is popular, or with caviar, but I prefer champaign with smoked salmon. It was by coincedence we had this at home (around this time of year btw)
It's been about 9 centuries ago I drank alcohol, but I do remember the salty, fishy taste with the fresh, slightly sweet, sparkling starwater.
It is strange how I lately come up with things I once ate and drank... Naah.. I can't remember my mother's milk though...

@ Gil

Cheers for the photo mate. I can tell you with 100% certainty it's a Steephead Parrotfish. Got quite a few fillets of the stuff vac-packed in the freezer actually, they never take a line but we manage to spear quite a few (plus other Parrotfish species which number in the dozens) at some of the coral islands I work at. Very, very nice on the palate with nice, sweet, white meat, a bloody good choice! 8) Strangely, it's even on a good bed of ice!!!! Don't see that much in Indo....... :shock: :(

@ JC

I'd rather eat a properly prepared fish than a plate of meat and potatoes in a faux German restaurant based in Bali.

Fair enough, but I can eat properly prepared fish for breaky, lunch and dinner monday thru sunday 52 weeks a year if I want to, but with a muslim wife haunting the kitchen and corridors nowdays, pork is a rare luxury :( (actually, total disrespect for the pig is about the only 'muslim' thing about the girl, dammit. If Jim Beam was just as 'allergic' I'd be a lot richer man I feel :cry: :lol: . Thankfully she hasn't quite twigged that Italian Cacciatore sausage is actually made from pork, not beef like I insist :twisted: ). I'll trade you a meal at said tacky faux German resto for an imported west ozzie fish feast, when the opportunity arises, what do u say???? :wink: :D

Then again, some of the (staff) mamas at "Mama's" are worth fishing for, maybe.

If you haven't been hooked already (and loving it).

Damn straight, know exactly what you mean. :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) wowee!!!. Well and truly hooked, sigh :cry:, but sight fishing is still allowed, I think.

Happy new year buddy.
Adz

Ryoshi & Kunti's are noted. Thanks.

spicyayam said:
@Dyah, that recipe sounds delicious!

@Miso I like going to Kunti's in Kuta for a sushi fix. Prices are reasonable and comparable enough to what you can get in Japan. If you find out where you can buy Kimchi in Bali, let me know.

I will Spicy, but it is really easy to make it yourself. And you can make enough for a whole week. Hope I can find Kimchi pepper somewhere, if not you can use grinded red pepper.
Will make a tutorial when I am settled.

I'll trade you a meal at said tacky faux German resto for an imported west ozzie fish feast, when the opportunity arises, what do u say????
Sounds great to me, if I understand what you mean.

You'll bring fish from Western Australia and cook it in our home, and in return, I take you to Mama's? Mama's for "fishing"? Or what, precisely?

Any chance of throwing a leg of Ozzie lamb in your luggage and bringing that too? "Lamb" in Indonesia is a very sad joke. (A friend of a friend is bringing us one soon. My prime friend has done that before, from Perth, and assures me the temperature in the guts of the plane is cold enough for the leg of lamb to survive the journey.)

...sight fishing is still allowed, I think.
What's the "I think" part about? Looking and dreaming aren't illegal here yet, for either sex. I'm not sure about some places in North Sumatra (Aceh, for example).

I'm not sure that tricking your Muslim wife into believing that some pork-laden Italian sausages are "halal" is a very wise move. Unless she's not a very strong Muslim.

At least Indonesia is not quite like Chechnya, yet. Where "men" abduct girls off the street and force them to marry somebody.

:D

Back