Greetings

Forest Bather

Sep 17, 2016
Hi, let me first wish everyone a Happy New Year! I have been drawn to Bali since the 1980s and have made numerous visits since (maybe 70 times?). I first joined this forum over ten years ago in the name of Gazer. I am retired, actively studying mindfulness and a certified forest therapy guide. Having some thoughts about setting up a home in Munduk as I love the highlands. Any advice about building a home in Munduk welcomed. Thanks in advance. Selamat Tahun Bahru.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Good place to live if you don't mind a drive to Lovina for western supplies and few expats to drink with (as far as I know). Bear in mind you'll occasionally need "western" supplies and they have huge mozzies up there :)

Forest Bather

Sep 17, 2016
Thanks Markit. Mozzies will be a problem, let alone huge ones:eek: I wonder if there a way to keep mozzies away without using toxic chemicals or mozzie coils.

Reactions: tintin

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Thanks Markit. Mozzies will be a problem, let alone huge ones:eek: I wonder if there a way to keep mozzies away without using toxic chemicals or mozzie coils.

I don't think the mozzies around Munduk are any larger than those in any other place on the Island, but maybe they have grown a new species since I was there , some time ago. Having been in Bali some many times, you must be quite familiar with the area, since you picked it in the first place, based on your interest. That whole area is relatively wild, north and south, beautiful trekking through relative wild and beautiful terrain.

As for the mosquitoes, outside chemicals, you have beautiful and efficient mosquito nets around your bed (OK, you miss one or two of these beasts, from time to time).

Forest Bather

Sep 17, 2016
I don't think the mozzies around Munduk are any larger than those in any other place on the Island, but maybe they have grown a new species since I was there , some time ago. Having been in Bali some many times, you must be quite familiar with the area, since you picked it in the first place, based on your interest. That whole area is relatively wild, north and south, beautiful trekking through relative wild and beautiful terrain.

As for the mosquitoes, outside chemicals, you have beautiful and efficient mosquito nets around your bed (OK, you miss one or two of these beasts, from time to time).

I think you could be right Tintin. I have done a couple of treks in the Munduk/Gobleg area and stayed at homestays. Didn't have much problems with mozzies. It could be seasonal. Actually, it is my wife who is bothered with the nuisance. She attracts them like nobody I have seen, and the bites leave terrible blotches. This is a reason why we had not moved to Bali from years ago. But I am determined to find a way. Over time, and with age, I now prefer the highlands and the rural setting over the busier attractions like Ubud. And I do love the terrain and a bit of the wildness in the highlands, plus the cooler temperatures. Cost is also a consideration.

Reactions: tintin

Forest Bather

Sep 17, 2016
Good place to live if you don't mind a drive to Lovina for western supplies and few expats to drink with (as far as I know). Bear in mind you'll occasionally need "western" supplies and they have huge mozzies up there :)

I get your point about "western supplies" Markit. It will be OK to do the supply runs to and from Lovina or Ubud. Yes, our friends are mainly in Ubud and the south but we are OK to travel for the occasional get-together. Thanks for the heads-up though. Actually, medical attention may be more of a concern.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
T Tree oil or eucalyptus oil are good to stop the itching so you don't scratch yourself raw. T Tree oil is better but haven't seen it here. Eucalyptus oil is available in most Farma.

Forest Bather

Sep 17, 2016
T Tree oil or eucalyptus oil are good to stop the itching so you don't scratch yourself raw. T Tree oil is better but haven't seen it here. Eucalyptus oil is available in most Farma.
Thanks Harry. Citronella balm is also good to soothe itch. I wonder if having citronella plants around a house might help keep moxies away.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Where I live in the east about 150 meters from the ocean we are blessed with sea breezes daily with out fail BUT between 6 and 7 when the breezes turns from land to seaward we do get a few but nothing compared to the highlands. I get huge infected welts that weep for me. I'm like your missus, they love me. The only consistent help is to sit in front of a fan for an hour - no real problem.

Forest Bather

Sep 17, 2016
Where I live in the east about 150 meters from the ocean we are blessed with sea breezes daily with out fail BUT between 6 and 7 when the breezes turns from land to seaward we do get a few but nothing compared to the highlands. I get huge infected welts that weep for me. I'm like your missus, they love me. The only consistent help is to sit in front of a fan for an hour - no real problem.

that's so nice having a sea breeze through the day. that's an effective way to keep the pests at bay. do welts go away after a while? I hope they do for you.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
I bought land in Munduk, some years ago. Beautiful slope with two waterfalls and a place to swim. Theoretically as I would be shitscared to be suddenly a level down (need to build a metal mesh). I think that this is one of the best places on bali if you don't like mosquitoes. Which I don't. But I couldn't stand the remoteness. IF they ever build a proper 4 lane road I'm the first to build there!

Forest Bather

Sep 17, 2016
I bought land in Munduk, some years ago. Beautiful slope with two waterfalls and a place to swim. Theoretically as I would be shitscared to be suddenly a level down (need to build a metal mesh). I think that this is one of the best places on bali if you don't like mosquitoes. Which I don't. But I couldn't stand the remoteness. IF they ever build a proper 4 lane road I'm the first to build there!

Sounds like Shangrila in Bali! Waterfalls, views, treks. Love it! I don't mind the remoteness. So I think. I just got into Ubud tonight and planning to visit Munduk next Monday to Wed. This will be my fourth visit. Cheers

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
near Air Terjun Munduk - it could be a beauty one day. There are some buildings on the plot (we had like 10-15 milk sheeps on it; we paid the neighbor to take care of it but they disappeared over night :( a miracle !!!) but even after months it's a JUNGLE again so we just leave it there for now

Forest Bather

Sep 17, 2016
near Air Terjun Munduk - it could be a beauty one day. There are some buildings on the plot (we had like 10-15 milk sheeps on it; we paid the neighbor to take care of it but they disappeared over night :( a miracle !!!) but even after months it's a JUNGLE again so we just leave it there for now

Nice. Any idea what prices land with view is fetching there currently?