Matthew Timor

Feb 13, 2012
sydney
www.pozible.com
Hello all in cyberBaliworld.

I joined the forum as I am taking my family up to West Timor for 8 months this year. Hence my username.

I just wanted to say hi to the community here even though it`s a Bali minded one, I hope you will all accept me. We will often be going through Bali for little holiday stints to and from Kupang over the next 8 months if that`s any validation to my membership here.

So, apa kabar orang bunyak. (I am trying to string my Bahasa Indo together so forgive me if it`s backwards etc) masi belajar.

Cheers

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Hello Matthew

Welcome to to the forum!

You don't need to actually live in Bali to post here. I think many of the Balipod regulars don't live in Bali but come here quite often like you probably.

What are you doing in West Timor?

Matthew Timor

Feb 13, 2012
sydney
www.pozible.com
What doing?

Hey balibule,

I didn`t think that was the case.
Depending on the fundraising results, I am going to Rote Island for 6-8 months to help project manage a community development meets tourism project.
Success in raising funds means the project kicks off.
No success means we go on an 8 month holiday, and time to do an in depth social impact analysis.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Hi Matt,

Cathcing a few waves in the process? Rote's a great place with a pretty good bunch of expats hanging out there (minus one who you cant avoid bumping into)

Mostly Christian so a few pigs running around, but one of the cleaner islands i've hung out in in Indo.

Were getting back there this year oursleves.

Im trying to find somewhere on the island that fills scuba tanks (we have all our own gear except compressor).

Keep an ear open in your travels and give us a bell if you hear of anyone that may have a dive compressor on the Island.

Make sure you scuttle a few people smuggling boats during your visit there. Some of the fishermen have pretty intesting stories of
their times in Australian prisons / detention centres, and nealry all of them either know someone or have been on a boat ferrying human traffic towards Oz.

Enjoy your time there....may bump into you sometime later in the year.

matf

Dec 14, 2011
kerobokan
welcome matt,

im a frequent traveler to rote in the rite season,
have you been there many times before?

welcome and hope we can help.

and maybe you can help any travelers ever going to rote/kupang with info cheers

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
If your wife's into diving, your only a flight away from Alor (kupang - Alor), which i consider to be the best diving in all of Indo (I havent been to Raja Empat yet though either).

Theres a homestay style diving place there (alor), any more laid back and everyone would be naked running round picking daffodils and mushrooms.

Its a great little trip, and cheap compared to other dive places. No TVs, no distractions, pure diving and relaxing and nothing else. (except fishing if you have your own gear).

Theres also an Aussie guy and his son in Kupang who co-authored the Periplus "Diving Bali" book. They do dives around Kupang itself etc. They know quite literally everything about diving in that part of the world.

I was in Nemberala resort 2 years ago and despite being the best place to stay there, they had no dive equipment / compressors.

I just checked there website and still no mention of it.

It would be the tipping point in convincing my other half in getting back there this year for a holiday (if there was a dive compressor there or even anywhere on the island). Doesnt really bother me as I surf and fish anyway.

Youre in a great part of the world there anyway, i'm projectile vomiting in envy.

Wish I had have grabbed some land there 10 years ago......

Matthew Timor

Feb 13, 2012
sydney
www.pozible.com
welcome matt,

im a frequent traveler to rote in the rite season,
have you been there many times before?

welcome and hope we can help.

and maybe you can help any travelers ever going to rote/kupang with info cheers

Thanks matf,
I have only been 3 times before. Where do you stay while there?
And, sure I would be only too pleased to help with info once I`m there.

Matthew Timor

Feb 13, 2012
sydney
www.pozible.com
It would be the tipping point in convincing my other half in getting back there this year for a holiday (if there was a dive compressor there or even anywhere on the island). QUOTE]

Where would you dive if there was something available? I`m thinking Do`o.

Hopefully I will be able to get my wife up to Alor while we are in the area. I think she`d love it. She`s been spoilt having a dive shop in Fiji, nothin` compares to that in Sydney. Even Menjangan Island off Bali didn`t impress her. Although Lembongan did.

There`s gotta be something in Rote that`s worth diving on hey?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you will be doing something very interesting and challenging. I wish I had more opportunity to travel around Indonesia. The pictures of Rote Island like nice, would love hearing more about your adventures there.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
You mean Do'a the surf spot......i dont think so. To many fishermen have access to that place and it gets to much swell.

I really dont know where in Rote.....we did a dive trip to Alor then when surfing in Rote on the way back. Wanted to dive in Rote but didnt have tanks at the time, and no one we talked to had a compressor for re-fills on the island (2 years ago).

Greame and Donovan Whitford in Kupang are the people to talk to for info. We went and saw them in Kupang on our way to Rote.

Google their names and you'll get a stack of info.

Be careful doing exploration dives in Indo on your own in unchartered territory, theres some pretty funky currents that can take you places you dont want to go. Tides turn into raging underwater rivers when they get funnelled between islands.

Better dive with people who have dived those spots before, and know the currents and tides.

The people i mentioned above know some spots in Rote, you might have to organise a few dives with them at the spots closet to where you are going to be staying, then continue doing them on your own after that (providing you can get gear, re-fills etc). We never dived with them, just went and picked their brains for a while, they're good people.

You'll be on your own, everyone else is just there surfing and having perfect golden beers watching perfect golden sunsets.

We'd be interested in doing some dives with them too there if they need numbers to form a group, and i can convince the other half its all about the diving and not about the fishing / surfing.

Links - Dive Kupang Dive - Eastern Indonesia's Lost Paradise

Just an idea....

Last edited:

kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
Be careful doing exploration dives in Indo on your own in unchartered territory, theres some pretty funky currents that can take you places you dont want to go. Tides turn into raging underwater rivers when they get funnelled between islands.

Have to agree with hinakos on this point, when it turns it can be very quick (and scary) you need to make sure your with people who really know the dive sites.
Off to Sipadan Borneo end of March and back to Bali, taking our gear with us and can get extra allowance on all flights except leaving Bali back to Aussie.
Seems it's very profitable charging $15 per kilo excess baggage for the airlines, we are lucky that we can send stuff home via our business in Bali but for some divers it's costly taking your own gear.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
There is NO SURF at Rote

The waves at Rote are crap and not worth the effort of getting there ...... its also very inconsistant .

Its also way over- rated from foregners promoting the place for their own self interests/profit/surf camps. Now that there are crowds there , the locals dont benefit financially anymore than when they did , from when it used to be quiet and they got most of the business .

It used to be a good place to get away from crowds and chill out , but not anymore ..., Now the crowds go there , and have ruined what once was .

The older regulars there are really cool dudes , and used to enforce gentlemans rules , making it enjoyable and good for everyone.

- but now ; all the hoards of short term "package tour tourists " who go there have different ideas and have spawned on the place like a virus ..., and bring along with them - their dog eat dog , burn everyone , I dont care attitudes , with hassling and bad ettiquette being the norm .

If by any chance you do go there , only stay at local accomodation, thats owned by the locals. and ... chill out !

Last edited:

matf

Dec 14, 2011
kerobokan
The waves at Rote are crap and not worth the effort of getting there ...... its also very inconsistant . Its also way over- rated from foregners promoting the place for their own self interests/profit/surf camps.

It used to be a good place to get away from crowds and chill out , but not anymore ..., now the crowds go there .

If by any chance you do go there , only stay at local accomodation, thats owned by the locals.

nice positive review...ha

i reckon the place still is uncrowded and some fun waves
but with your negative thoughts it will be even more uncrowded

so i can surf the "crap" waves with even less people

not too mention that its "not worth the effort of getting there"

?

fun night in colorful kupang

followed by a nice boat ride

and a scenic drive in beautiful surrounds

...................sounds horrible

Matthew Timor

Feb 13, 2012
sydney
www.pozible.com
Yeah, horrible alright. I might just stay in Bali then and come down to the Bukit hey balidavo.
If I get up early enough to paddle out at Ulu`s in the dark I might just get a couple waves with only me and 7 or so other dawn raiders out. Can`t say I`ve witnessed alot of gentlemans rules down there.

I might even get to chill out after in the single fin bar hanging off Blue Point. The live music there is loud enough to relax and hear nobody talking to you. Tranquility at its best. Nice part of the world though, the Bukit.

So, in Rote, as long as the older regulars are still capable of enforcing ettiquette hopefully it will stay that way. The good thing is the effort you need to put in to get there will hopefully hold back more crowds going.

I will check into the Kupang divers, thanks hinakos. Oh yeah Do`o, the uninhabited one in the middle. Could be named Do`a to some as well. We have snorkelled there on a small day and it was nice, not a heap of fish though.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
Re - crowds , loose lips sink ships , or in the case of rote - the ship has already sunk , and has left a bitter taste for those who remember how it was ...,

So with more bules with big gobs spreading the word which aids to crowd out the spot further ......, im sure youll be a big hit there with all the regular older crew , who stay for months on end at local accomodation , and patiently wait for the odd good day. I can see them welcoming you with open arms :highly_amused: Im sure youll get your in depth social analysis

..., im sure they will love your attempted efforts your making which can only to add to the crowds , who these days , are not deterred at all by going there , as most are all wrapped up in cotton wool on an overpriced pre-paid package tour from bule owned surf camps, and met with a driver and delivered bubble wrapped to the break ( that hardly breaks ) ..., hell they even get motored out to the line up lol .

nothing sucks more than traveling the length of the achepeligo ..., only to find out that you may as well be surfing ulus ....,:livid:

matf

Dec 14, 2011
kerobokan
Yeah, horrible alright. I might just stay in Bali then and come down to the Bukit hey balidavo.
If I get up early enough to paddle out at Ulu`s in the dark I might just get a couple waves with only me and 7 or so other dawn raiders out. Can`t say I`ve witnessed alot of gentlemans rules down there.

I might even get to chill out after in the single fin bar hanging off Blue Point. The live music there is loud enough to relax and hear nobody talking to you. Tranquility at its best. Nice part of the world though, the Bukit.

So, in Rote, as long as the older regulars are still capable of enforcing ettiquette hopefully it will stay that way. The good thing is the effort you need to put in to get there will hopefully hold back more crowds going.

I will check into the Kupang divers, thanks hinakos. Oh yeah Do`o, the uninhabited one in the middle. Could be named Do`a to some as well. We have snorkelled there on a small day and it was nice, not a heap of fish though.
:highly_amused: