Global Extreme

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I was on at about 11pm when it seemed to go down but didnt try again till this morning when it was fine.

As for the net thing being blown open, minimum contract on here is for a year so I hope that means Globals service will improve :eek:)

I have to say they havent let me down as bad as some other services in the last few weeks. Having paid the management company here a fee for the phone to be connected within a week nearly 3 weeks later it still hasnt been and they keep promising every day will be the day and on top of that a bank transfer from UK has gone missing in cyberspace. Uk bank says it was taken out 21st Dec Indonesian bank says they have no record of it! Im slowly going crazy trying to sort it all out!

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Mimpi we had something similar happen transferring money from Australia to BNI in Lombok. I tended to believe the Australian bank when they said they had sent the money. In the end I got Damsiah to phone their office in Jakarta and he said something like 'my money is finished, my children have no food, my kids are starving and you've lost my money'. He got really cross with them, which as you know is a real last resort. They magically found the transfer on someones desk and we had the money that afternoon. Maybe a phonecall from Made along similar lines would do the trick?

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
lol Freo funny you should say that. After this post it seems they found my transfer but it hadnt been credited to my account as the UK bank had not used my middle name (which they never have in the past and it hasnt been a problem) Having found it they said it was going to be another few days before they could credit it to my account & I did the I am here with a baby and no money for food & miraculouosly they credited my account immediately. As soon as they confirmed it I got ready to go to the ATM and go buy some supplies and hey ho the Digicom guy turned up to connect the phone too, so all finally sorted - phew.....

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
alls well that ends well but worrying whilst sorting it out. I did a transfer to my brother in law a year or more ago which also seem to disapear. I complained so much to my bank they did several traces and still no joy.

I complained even louder and they refunded me the money back. When I came to Bali last year I found out that my dozy brother in law had received it but did not know it had arrived.

I contacted my bank and told them but they said it was too difficult to debit the money back so I had a win win situation :)

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Re: RE: Global Extreme

Jimbo said:
I contacted my bank and told them but they said it was too difficult to debit the money back so I had a win win situation :)

Geez that would be a first - winning money from the bank - I doubt it would happen if it was an Australian bank. They would probably take the money back, plus interest for a year, plus a processing fee.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
These guys have really gone downhill. They seem unable to keep a connection live over the past few days for more than 5 minutes. And of course the only response from them is the monthly invoice

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Yes, I tried to get on last night and this morning and couldnt and couldnt get through on the phone today. I still have my old Indosat account though and although I cant pick up the signal on it, I can use the dial up so at least I can get online.

I havent had my first invoice yet :eek:)

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Re: RE: Global Extreme

mimpimanis said:
Yes, I tried to get on last night and this morning and couldnt and couldnt get through on the phone today. I still have my old Indosat account though and although I cant pick up the signal on it, I can use the dial up so at least I can get online.

I havent had my first invoice yet :eek:)

Don't worry you will, and then they cut you off the day after its due.

Its on again today..someone came over today whilst I was out and checked things. They said it was my hardware. Funny how others seem to be having the same problems with 'my hardware' :shock:

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
They called me a few days ago to ask if I was happy with the trial and if they could go ahead and invoice me for the installation by email. I said yes.....no email yet. Wonder if they are using the global extreme one they set up, I said not to cos I wont ever check it I have my own mimpimanis.com email and thats the only one I use. They better not cut off that quickly if they are prone to mistakes. I think I will call them in the morning.

Boo

Aug 11, 2006
Umalas, Bali
We found with our first invoice that it was for;

The part of the month that it got installed and the next full month.

EG: Your inslall is on 20 December. In January you get the invoice for
the install, the pro rata December use and January. They have not sent
out there January invoices as yet. The invoices usually come around the 12th of every month but are probably a bit late due to Xmas.

My experience has been that they do not cut you off too quick.
When we got installed, we were still deciding after 10 days whether to
give them the go ahead or not. We had the service for the 10 days.

Our December payment (paid by internet banking) was returned to our
bank 3 days after paying. That was on 15 December. I did not realise until receiving our bank statement yesterday. Phoned them up and they confirmed that the December account had not been paid. This was virtually one month late and they had not cut the service off so I dont think they are cut you off right away if the payment is late.

Cheers

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Thanks Boo, thats good to hear. Especially as SG had also mentioned the transfers for payment often fail. I used to go into Indosat to pay the bill each month but could end up waiting an hour to do so so will try to pay online or transfer through the ATM when the bill finally comes.

bali and panama

Jan 16, 2008
kerobokan, Bali
I've gone into their office to use their computers in the past and the internet there is VERY slow.
I have 2 different internet services in my house. One required an antenna to be erected and the connection fee is rp. 9,500 per hour. It is very fast and is through Indonsat. I use this for my skype and when I need fast service or have large files to send or receive.
The other service I have is a modem that Indosat gives you if you sign a 2 year contract for the service. The plan I chose is 1.2 gigs of data for approximately rp320,000. This service is usually slow and sometimes loses it's connection but since it's so inexpensive, I can use it to play online games or surfing the web. Both of these services seem to be faster than the computers in the Global Extremem building.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I dont know about the computers in the Global Extreme building but the service I have from them is definitely faster that the Indosat service I had previously. I have to say I have been pretty happy all in all, so far.

linnie

Jan 20, 2008
Bali
Hm...I'm not all to positive about GE. Right now I am using 3G from XL; it's perfect and super fast in the Kuta area. Our whole office is running on one machine. And it's fairly cheap; around 500,000 for 3 gig. That's a lot of data, you won't finish it that fast. :)

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
I've been using Global Xtreme in a wi-fi hotspot in Sanur.
I wouldn't rave about it but so far, it seems to work OK.
Not sure I'd rush out and buy a "contract". I'm using their pre-paid cards...4 hours for Rp 40,000.

:D

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
The best value I have seen as long as you are not downloading more than email and general internet with small files is the 3G network from Indosat.

Nice to see you posting Phil.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Im on their fastest connection though Phil which is the best I have had anywhere in Bali to be honest, inc net cafes & wifi spots. I'm really pleased so far. And at 1,100,000 per month works out cheaper than my old Indosat connection.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi mimpimanis
I know this is many months down the line regarding your GE connection. I hope you're happy with it, if you're still using it.

As I've said in some more recent posts, I believe the current best way to go is to use the new Telkom Speedy service. It's been upgraded to 1Mbs/128Kbs.

The requirements are:

1. Telephone line
2. ADSL modem (anywhere from Rp500,000 to Rp1,000,000)
3. Rp75,000 registration

What you get:

1. 1GB/month = Rp200,000
2. 3GB/month = Rp400,000
3. Unlimited bandwidth = Rp750,000
4. It actually works - much better than before

It's a lot cheaper than mucking around with wireless antennae and having to buy other equipment. And cheaper by the month, too.

And heaven forbid anybody considering Telkomsel's Flash "service". It's a joke and a complete rip-off. I know because I tried it and lasted one week before cancelling.

:D

milan

Mar 20, 2008
At first I thought this thread was about the environment.

Just the right info I need. I take that this applies to Jakarta as well but is it possible to connect my laptop to a mobile phone and get internet connection from there in Indonesia without going through the hassles to get a modem, etc., unless you need to use it separately. Anyone could give me an answer to that?

I'd like to know from Jimbo, how do you get your internet connection being in Makassar/Toraja right now?

Thanks!