Global Extreme

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I'd like to know from Jimbo, how do you get your internet connection being in Makassar/Toraja right now?

I use CDMA which is like a small USB modem. You can buy these easily for about $60. I then use Star One card from Indosat and top it up every few days. You get about an hour for Rp 5,000. It is fairly slow but lets me down load mail and some limited surfing and no contracts

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Yes, you can do this, milan:
...I take that this applies to Jakarta as well but is it possible to connect my laptop to a mobile phone and get internet connection from there in Indonesia without going through the hassles to get a modem...
The Telkom Speedy service is now available in more than 200 centres around Indonesia. However, the faster improved version is only available in about 61 of them, but growing all the time. I cannot imagine that the faster one is not available in Jakarta.

With the laptop/mobile phone combination, you can buy a special USB data cable for your mobile phone so you can plug it straight into the computer. I use a Nokia mobile and Nokia has a software programme called Nokia PC Suite which you can download from their website. This enables you to do all kinds of things with the phone, such as install your own pictures, mp3 music files and, connect to the internet. To do the latter, you can buy pre-paid SIM cards from various providers which you insert into your phone for internet access.

Open up the programme and configure the service provider you want to use (company, user name, pass-word), and make sure your phone is configured, too. That's about it.

Depending on your laptop's features, (most of them these days have built-in card readers hidden somewhere), you might be able to plug the SIM card directly into your laptop. (Most laptops have built-in wireless modems.)

One last thing. My experiences using mobile phones as modems in Bali are often far from satisfactory. Usually slow and lots of dropped connections. Ideally, your handphone should be able to make use of 3G/3.5G technology. CDMA, in my opinion, is to be avoided like the plague unless you have no other choice. (Way too slow and could drive you crazy.) There are lots of providers out there willing to take your money for their "services". Some are truly dreadful, bordering on the criminal, and others are "OK" (when they work).

:D

milan

Mar 20, 2008
I typed a reply already but it got lost.

Anyway, let me repeat again. Thanks, Jimbo, so at least I know this is another way of getting my Internet access.

And, thank you, Sanurian for clarifying all the muddled infos I've managed to gather by reading on some forums regarding Internet access in Indonesia.
I do feel relieved to know that I could have my laptop connected by a USB cable plugged to my mobile using the local SIM card.
But since I also read that there is a broadband service availabe as I'm sure it has, is it limited to only Hotels and Offices use because rarely I hear an individual have it in their home in Jakarta. Why? Expensive, complicated or too much waiting game? As I'd like to have it in my home if possible. That's one question of mine that until now hasn't been answered satisfactorily... :( :)

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
"Broadband" and "high speed internet connection", to my way of thinking, mean the same thing. Indonesian "broadband services" vary tremendously in what they offer, and more importantly, what they can actually deliver!
...But since I also read that there is a broadband service availabe as I'm sure it has, is it limited to only Hotels and Offices use because rarely I hear an individual have it in their home in Jakarta. Why? Expensive, complicated or too much waiting game? As I'd like to have it in my home if possible. That's one question of mine that until now hasn't been answered satisfactorily...
There are many "broadband" services on offer here. They are not limited to hotels, etc, although big hotels might have enough money to pay for the fastest available options.

There are small wireless USB modems available that cost about Rp1.2 juta. Once installed and configured properly, you can use any available services out there. For example, Indosat, Telkom, XL, Telkomsel, etc. You have a choice of either buying pre-paid SIM cards for a certain number of hours (time-based), or how much you want to download/upload (volume-based). Every company has different available speeds and different prices. OR - You can sign-up for a contract with a company, although my experience with TelkomselFlash was a total disaster.

If you have a telephone line in Jakarta, I would go the TelkomSpeedy way (ADSL). It took two days to get my service running here in Bali. And so far, it's still the most fuss-free option I've encountered. And pretty good, if you regard 1Mbs down/128Kbs up as "broadband". (I don't, but it works and is affordable.)

I just made a few Skype calls to the USA and Australia and at last, I didn't feel like I was talking 5 meters under water with heaps of strange echoes.

:D

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Hi Sanurian
Do you know if the ADSL option is available in most areas. As I understand, the exchange needs to be upgraded to do ADSL - obviously Sanur is covered, but what about other areas of Bali (Ubud? Singaraja? Seminyak? Cangguu? Djimbaran?)
Is there a link that can tell you what areas are covered by the ISP like you can see here in Oz?

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi, FreeoGirl
...Do you know if the ADSL option is available in most areas. As I understand, the exchange needs to be upgraded to do ADSL - obviously Sanur is covered, but what about other areas of Bali...
I'm not sure if all the Sanur area is covered, or not. It wasn't in the new area I moved to recently...then it was, after a month or so. I have no idea about Ubud, etc.

The TelkomSpeedy technicians told me they're expanding the availability all over Bali. Maybe it was wishful rhetoric on their part. Not sure about that.
...Is there a link that can tell you what areas are covered by the ISP...
Theoretically, yes. In practice, it's often the case that Indonesian websites are not properly updated. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

If the masochistic side of you is still working, (if you have one), have a look at:
http://www.telkomspeedy.com
Good luck, in advance!

8)

milan

Mar 20, 2008
If you have a telephone line in Jakarta, I would go the TelkomSpeedy way (ADSL). It took two days to get my service running here in Bali. And so far, it's still the most fuss-free option I've encountered. And pretty good, if you regard 1Mbs down/128Kbs up as "broadband". (I don't, but it works and is affordable.)

I just made a few Skype calls to the USA and Australia and at last, I didn't feel like I was talking 5 meters under water with heaps of strange echoes.

Fine. As long as I could get my Skype, checking my emails, lurking or participating in Balipod.com...and...last but not least, transfering money/checking on my account through the electronic Banking Service of my Bank here, then I'll be more than happy.
I think I'll opt for the above choice. I keep my fingers crossed that all will proceed smoothly.
Thanks again.