Global Extreme

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Oh, not good SG. I asked them how often they had been down in the last month and they said 3 times and for a maximum of 3 hours. Seeing as I tend to use the net more at night when the UK are on no customer service isnt good. They are meant to come and fit the antenna on 29th December however I am going to check out XL first this week.

Thanks for all the feedback, very useful indeed. It hasnt put me off moving to the area just keeps me more wary about what Im signing up to!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Ohh till my post went on I didnt even see there were now two pages. so....

Hi Patajte
The website is finished the links are at the bottom, maybe you need to scroll down. I thnk on some screens you do.

Hi Freo

Seems SG has addressed the issue of the sharing of bandwidth. Also I asked Indosat how many I share with now on my current connection and they would just say many. So Im hoping that 16 will be an improvement. To be honest Indosat has been terrible the last few days.

Hi SG

The new house is in Jimbaran up by Dreamland and not very populated, the only two services I have been able to find for sure up there are Mentari - not fast enough and Global. I do also have an Indosat Dial up connection which I am assuming I can use from there if worse comes to worse.

I called XL and they asked me to come into the office. Busy finallising house stuff tomorow so will head there on Friday to see what they say.

Thanks everyone for your input its been a great help.

gemma

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Re: RE: Global Extreme

mimpimanis said:
they said 3 times and for a maximum of 3 hours.

Which means they are not telling the truth.....last time it was from about 9pm to 8am....maybe they mean Jam karet 3 hours!

Boo

Aug 11, 2006
Umalas, Bali
We are using Globalxtreme 512kbps. Same deal Rp 1,100,000 per month.

Our first choice would have been with the Indosat 3.5G system but they had no coverage here.

It is a shared system so it is not what you would expect from a 512kbps connection. A 512kbps connection should allow you to download at about
64kBps but the reality is that the download speed is between 10 - 25kBps.

I cant say there has been too much of a problem with outages though. We have only had a few for short periods in 3 months.

They also have a 384kbps connection for about Rp 700,000 per month.

It is a bit of an eye opener to our 24,000 kbps system we had in Australia.

Cheers,

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Thanks Boo. its good to know you havent had too many problems with outages. However Im not technical at all I just use the net so I dont really understand all the speeds etc. Just assume a higher kbps meeds faster net.

"It is a shared system so it is not what you would expect from a 512kbps connection. A 512kbps connection should allow you to download at about
64kBps but the reality is that the download speed is between 10 - 25kBps. "

Does that mean my new 512kbps connection is actually going to be slower than Indosats 230kbps service????? Indosat say I am sharing the connection too but not with how many.

Arrrgggh Im confused. Well I have committed to the house now and a global installation, though I have a free 3 day trial before they issue the invoice. Fingers crossed!

Boo

Aug 11, 2006
Umalas, Bali
Hi mimpimanis,

It seems very hard getting information out of the ISP's just how many other users one shares the connection with.

Mind you, it seems hard getting any definate information out of them at all.

Although the connection is shared, internet browsing etc seems quite reasonable and useable.

And as you said, you get the 3 day trial. In our case we didnt have to pay anything until the end of the trial so I guess you can have it installed and see what you think.

Although, our connection was much faster (about 40kbps) during the trial. Im not 100% sure but it is possible that they make the connection faster during the trial.

Cheers

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I need to do more than internet browsing, so this is a worry. I thought I was getting a much faster connection.

Global say the line will be shared with 16 people.

In Kuta Lombok the connection in the cafes is 28kbps its painfully slow and you can do only the most simple things. Forget about loading photos and stuff.

And although yes after the 3 day trial I can say no thanks - but then im in a new house with no net and no other decent provider it seems.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
I can do pretty much anything on my GE connection..downloading is fine. I just did a speed check and it was running at 112kbs

The nominated speed on a connection is the maximum. You will not get 512 but it will be fast enough for most things and way faster than 28kbs

Boo

Aug 11, 2006
Umalas, Bali
Hi mimpimanis,

We download photos etc and it is not too bad.

Perhaps there is some confusion between kbps and kBps

A 512kbps connection is 512 kilobits per second.
There is about 8 kb (kilobits) in a kB (kilobyte). Notice the capital B.

So the max download for a 512kbps connection is (512/8) 64 kBps.

An internet cafe running 28 kbps has a maximum download speed of 3.5 kBps. Provided the 28kbps is not shared.

Indosats 230kbps shared connection has a maximum download of 28kBps if you had the whole 230kbps to yourself. Even if 2 users were downloading this would be halved to 14kBps.

Cheers

Boo

Aug 11, 2006
Umalas, Bali
Dont know why the lina above is not coming out correct.
It is OK in the preview.

It is;

So the max download for a 512kbps connection is (512 divided by 8) 64 kBps.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Having just been positive about GE above, shortly afterwards it died. I rang..no technician till 8am!! It came on again 1 hour later. I then sent a very nasty email which I had no reply to (surprise surprise).

The young guys that work them are good but the management is either greedy or hopeless. A bit of both.

That said, currently downloading a 50mb file at 43KB/s

G

Dont' worry I know what you meant despite the boo boo boo. :lol:

G

BTW you can disable smilies using the checkbox on the reply page.

I don't know why the preview doesn't match the final post though.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Thanks SG & Boo

Well Im mixing up my kbps and understanding what it means :s

So it seems it is still going to be faster than indosat - as long as its not down!

I will still have access to Indosat through dial up when it is down, slow as it is its better than nothing.

I'm really excited about the move now.....

Home to Lombok on Saturday for Xmas and then back in a week to move house in Bali!

Im getting a bit settled here, the lack of daily powercuts and a constant water supply are really appealing, especially with in infant!

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
It died last night and was dead all night. At 9am today I rang. Sorry....Christmas..we are closed..please ring on 26th!

I yelled loud and long and it is on again.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Well they called me at 4pm on the 28th to say the 10am installation on the 29th was delayed because of a big problem they had over Xmas (that was when it was down I guess) Finally got it installed today and so far so good. Seems much faster than I was getting with Indosat! Just hope it doesnt go down to often!

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Actually its been pretty good for the last week or so but was down last night from 11 to about 7am for me.

Still i think the whole net thing is about to be blown open here in Bali in the next few months