ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Another of these stories - this one from the Age, a similar one in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning...
FOR holidaymakers planning a trip to Bali, there has been a tsunami of alarming news this week. Drug busts, bar room brawls, poisoned rice wine, earthquakes and the ninth anniversary of the terrorist attacks that killed 202 people.
But none of these pose the greatest threat to people travelling to the popular tourist destination.
The chief danger for those visiting Bali is the traffic and the astounding number of accidents that occur, many involving foreigners riding motorcycles.

Read more: Foreign Easy Riders Death

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Another of these stories - this one from the Age, a similar one in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning...

Read more: Foreign Easy Riders Death

There has been an influx of Australian reporters to Bali because of the arrest of the 14 year old. They also are here waiting for any Australian footballer to make a fool of himself during their end of season break.
All of these reporters want to be the first with the "scoop". Of course this means they submit stories about anything they see happening in Bali.
The local authorities have had enough of them. As of noon on Friday (14th) any reporter/cameraman going to places such as Kerobokan Prison or the Denpasar Police Station has been told to produce their work visa or they will be deported.
I have a feeling that the rush of reports may slow down.

alphonso

May 26, 2011
There has been an influx of Australian reporters to Bali because of the arrest of the 14 year old. They also are here waiting for any Australian footballer to make a fool of himself during their end of season break.
All of these reporters want to be the first with the "scoop". Of course this means they submit stories about anything they see happening in Bali.
The local authorities have had enough of them. As of noon on Friday (14th) any reporter/cameraman going to places such as Kerobokan Prison or the Denpasar Police Station has been told to produce their work visa or they will be deported.
I have a feeling that the rush of reports may slow down.

Well said, couldn't agree more about your take on what's going on and what the authorities are doing about it :icon_smile:

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
Actually l know the guy who took the photos. He has lived here for about 15 years, he is also one of the best surf photographers in the world. This story was given by the papers about 2 months ago. However they held it off , so they could run it during the Oz school holidays. Reason being sme if the Aussie bogans might take notice and go home in one piece...that's not a bad thing is it?

alphonso

May 26, 2011
This story was given by the papers about 2 months ago. However they held it off , so they could run it during the Oz school holidays. Reason being sme if the Aussie bogans might take notice and go home in one piece...that's not a bad thing is it?

The article is quite specific in referring to the ninth bombing anniversary "this week" as well as some other stuff that happened "last month", which it did (September). This includes info about Zena Friedman which i know happened only 2 weeks ago.

So, ummm, it can't have been written 2 months ago.

Just saying :icon_e_smile:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
So the suggestion from no.idea that there are journalists here at present with spare time on their hands makes sense. They are good at re-cycling older material and bringing it up to date.

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
No, what l meant was the article brief was given to my mate, the photographer about 2 months ago. He was to get pictures to run with an article, which was mooted back then.
I also knew the teacher that was/is in a coma, he was collected by a 14 year old girl.
Any article which highlights the pitfalls of driving motorbikes over here by tourists is cool by me.