holly7

Aug 19, 2011
Hi all.. After a couple of holidays to Bali, my partner and I have made a decision to move to Bali.. Were still young and figured we should do it while we don't have commitments!
It would be for a minimum of 6 months, up to however long we can afford it. were not being hasty or Naive about it, but I'd like to know from expats how much it roughly cost for us to make the move?
We plan on saving quite a decent sum between us, to be able to live comfortably for as long as possible..
Any tips/advice/words of guidance in regards to making the move ie regarding accommodation/expenses/eating and social?

Cheers!!

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia

Hi all.. After a couple of holidays to Bali, my partner and I have made a decision to move to Bali.. Were still young and figured we should do it while we don't have commitments!
It would be for a minimum of 6 months, up to however long we can afford it. were not being hasty or Naive about it, but I'd like to know from expats how much it roughly cost for us to make the move?
We plan on saving quite a decent sum between us, to be able to live comfortably for as long as possible..
Any tips/advice/words of guidance in regards to making the move ie regarding accommodation/expenses/eating and social?

Cheers!!

I took $12,000 AUD and honestly wouldn’t go with any less of an amount. Im not saying you will spend this amount but it’s always nice to not be held back from anything you want to do. I travelled such a huge amount, went onto have some fantastic experiences and never had to worry. I came home with alot of money also..

- Factor in 1.2 million a month into your budget for each months visa renewal as you may end up just using an agent being a first timer on the visa and finding it hard to navigate the system of immigration – also this covers you for any screw ups you may have on your visa during the renewal
- Get the top travel insurance you can that includes pregnancy. Whilst you may not be trying for a baby if this happens you want to be able to seek the best medical treatment for you and bubs and if something awful ie. Ectopic pregnancy is to happen you don’t have to worry when going to the hospital
- Invest in a helmet from home for your motorbikes. Indonesian helmets generally are very pretty however do not keep your face looking pretty should you have an accident
- Get International Drivers Licenses before you go
- Dont waste money on a pool in your accommodation or an aircon. Electricity is expensive without AC’s and you adjust so fast you sometimes have to turn your fans off. Your western, your young you can go to the best pools in bali (except Ayana) for free and have a good old day.

Accomodation can go from 1 million a month (western fully furnished Kos) and upto as much as you want to pay. Eating you can do for pittance and have the best food but pack your bag with lots of western treats (pasta sauce, pasta, gravy power – western food is expensive, 3 years of tampons (so expensive in Bali) – overpack and you have quite a lucrative business with people wanting to purchase them, Sunblock,

Dont worry about medications – Indonesian meds are much better & stronger 

holly7

Aug 19, 2011
Excellent thanks so much that's really helpful..
How long were you in Bali for with that $12,000?
I wasn't planning on going with any less than $10,000...

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Food to bring!!

I would also include, if you are going to do some cooking, chicken, beef, vege stock cubes, the ones available here are full of msg...vegemite!!!! keens curry powder...thats personal, as i cant cope with the indonesian version, a good sharp knife, bottle/can opener....now i think about it, where was a post before, when lots of us listed things to bring with you, that you cant do without.. good luck and have a ball, great place to live :icon_biggrin:

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Vegemite is a must.. I never noticed the msgin stock cubes but its probably because everything had more msg than the stock cubes haha..

I went looking for vegemite 2 months in and the only place that stocked it (except for restaurants who have there vegemite under lock and key) was 110,000 forthe small one!!!

I went for 6 months and i went alone.. so that would be 24,000 for you but the insurance including pregnancy I have to say is a must!

holly7

Aug 19, 2011
Well obviously vegemite is a must then.. Lol
In regards to accommodation, did you stay in one place or move around?
I've been reading up alot on long term accommodation, but we definitely want to explore all around different places... What would you say is the average price a month for accommodation?
Sorry so many questions haha

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Well obviously vegemite is a must then.. Lol
In regards to accommodation, did you stay in one place or move around?
I've been reading up alot on long term accommodation, but we definitely want to explore all around different places... What would you say is the average price a month for accommodation?
Sorry so many questions haha

In the south you can rent a kos for 1,000,000 and its nice but it is just a room.. I prefer a house so I rented mine for pretty cheap it was under 2 million a month fully furnished form what i can remember.. That was on Padma Beach so it was a good location.. stay at the 1 place I think but it depends on you.. mmake 1 place home and that can be your base.. once you get out of Bali accomodation is increidbly cheap or if you speak bahasa you can just go into a village and crash the night relatively easy if you have photocopies of your passport..

dont book your accomo prior to going.. Id stay at Kumala Indah and look around fvor a few days but dont do it over the net its sooo overpriced and expensive..

holly7

Aug 19, 2011
Thankyou thankyou thankyou that's all so helpful.
I was definitely umming and ahhing abou whether to prebook or not..
Obviously going over and sussing it out first is the way to go!

Seli

Aug 13, 2011

- Invest in a helmet from home for your motorbikes. Indonesian helmets generally are very pretty however do not keep your face looking pretty should you have an accident

Is it that difficult to find a good helmet in Bali? I mean, a full helmet is not an easy item to carry on a plane. How much would a good helmet cost over there? Thanks

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
I would prebook at least the first couple of nights, and make sure that includes airport pickup. I think it can be pretty overhwhelming to arrive in a new country, trying to work out the money, etc and then go looking for somewhere to stay. My wife runs a small villa so I have firsthand experience on what people are like when they first arrive on the island! Many of them expect a sort of laidback paradise (which some of Bali is, but it's not what your first encounter) and are in shock at how chaotic and fast-paced it is. So my advice: book somewhere cheap for the first couple of nights while you get your bearings! (btw I'm not pushing my wife's villa here, it's way out of your price range!)

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Trust me, you’re going to face far bigger inconveniences living in Bali than carrying a helmet on the flight. Taking your body back on a flight is a lot more inconvenient also.. Personally I feel undergoing the inconvenience on a flight by carrying a helmet on a flight.. This can be your first introduction into learning Asian patience!! I think alot of people tend to lose sight of how dangerous motorbikes can be when they arrive in Bali.. I think you need to remember that there is no safety standards to be met by the producers of helmet.. This could mean they simply melt a few **** bottles, put some dye in plastic and get some foam out of a box and create your helmet Im not sure its THAT bad but im not sure its much better either.

In the end though just remember you did only ask for advice  You can make your own assessment and think if this is necessary or not. I personally think it is however others could completely disagree with me!

Lioness45

Aug 5, 2010

Cheers!!

I brought a scout knife with various attachments, coffee plunger, Italian coffee and vegemite - you buy both the latter items at Bali Bakery - vegemite expensive. You can always get friends to bring extra supplies when they come.
For books, try the Smile Shop and the Library in Ubud.

richardmw1

May 4, 2011
Motorcycle helmets

I'm alive and still able to think because of a helmet. Get the best brain box that you can afford. Snell approved, M2010. I lost some skin, but I walked (limped) away from the accident.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
oowww okey, so you wore no back-brace, no knee pads, no hip pads, no elbowpads no gloves...but shorts and a tshirt, oooh yeah a helmet is totally a lifesaver then :icon_biggrin:

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
Bring your own jumbo sunscreen pump pack, sunscreen is expensive here......Hey can you bring one over for me too ?????

We just moved into a villa we found for a year & are finding internet, power etc very cheap.

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
My husband picked up a dongle from bali galleria with an XL sim, it cost around 380,000 with 3 months for free and unlimited. just recharge for 99,000 a month and it remains unlimited. Speed is great, we do a lot of internet surfing, skyping and movie/ music downloads, works great for us.
It does depend on service in the area though, which is good around Sanur.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
OK, thanks I think I have found it at Bulanan
For sure, this plan is cheaper than anything I know of on offer in Australia, but with a quota of 1 GB and speed of 512K it is a bit restricted. It does not spell out what happens when you exceed your monthly quota, but presumably the speed is reduced.