Electricity costs

CraftyCol

Apr 17, 2006
Bahrain/Pecatu
I'm in the process of having a villa built in the Bukit. My architect has advised that in February 2006 the PLN intorduced a new charging structure for the supply of electricity. It was not fully clear to him, and thus to me, what the new regime was but it looked like I could be facing monthly bills in excess of Rp 8 million. Naturally, I was somewhat stunned!! It is substantially more than I had been lead to believe when I was looking into moving to Bali.
Currently (no pun intended!), I had planned a 33kva supply but this may have to be reviewed in light of the new charges.
My questions are:
>can anyone direct me to a source of information explaining the charges in English,
>can anyone advise what sort of bills they are recieving for a villa of similar 33kva installation. (Villa has 4 airconditioned bedrooms, 1 airconditioned study, largish pool, water heaters, etc).
>can anyone verify the sketchy information I have been given: for a 33kva supply, the monthly fixed rate is Rp 5,185,000 for which you get 6.1 "somethings!?!" (perhaps, 6.1 kwh??) and any use above that is charged at Rp 850 per 1 "something else!?!" (perhaps, 1wh??)
Advice much appreciated.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Something is not right.

I pay for 5500 watts about 1.5 million per month.

I know people that have 7700 watt who pay about the same.

Including monthly fixed rate.

CraftyCol

Apr 17, 2006
Bahrain/Pecatu
The amount you have noted is around what we had expected, hence my scepticism of the figures given to me.

My architect had put the point forward that because we were asking for a large supply (33kva) this was considered to be a commercial rate. Could that be a possibility?

And, the rate that you are paying - is that for a large supply too?

Our Architect has been sent back to re-check with the PLN about the charges, particularly about the fixed rate bands as we may be able to have a lower supply (say 22kva if it is available) at a lower rate. Hopefully!!

Thanks for your advice so far, Bert.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
I think so (considered commercial)

Why do you need 33.000 watt??

Best is to start with 7700 watt (or maybe 10.000). This is not considered a "commercial value". If needed take a second one of 7700 watt, I think this is possible....

And enough for 2 AC's that are switched on, including pool pump and one waterheater.

My guess is that you don't use 5 ac's and two waterheaters at the same time...

Davo

Jan 4, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
my goodness, i had no idea juice cost that much in Bali.

the figures you pay Bert are what i pay per 3 months.

you are paying equivalent AUD $200/month. or is my math up the cracker?

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
I don't understand why it should be considered as commercial just because you want a large supply of elec?!! :shock:

What if you had a large house with a large family who at the same time use AC, computers, etc? People tend to be at home at the same time, especially after school & work in the early evening. Why should you be penalised for this? :?

CraftyCol, When we move there we will need enough supply for at least 3AC & 2 computers at the same time. Hope the charges won't be as much as what you have been informed!! People of Bali..... please put our minds at rest......

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
We have 10,600 watts in our house in Sumbawa. We pay about 900,000 per month for that including the fixed monthly cost. Generally we run only two airconditioners from 6pm-6am, plus all the lights inside and out, two hotwater heaters. Our house in Bali has 4,500, if I'm not wrong. We pay substantially less for that.

CraftyCol

Apr 17, 2006
Bahrain/Pecatu
Interesting reading - at least your experiences are making things look more positive.

The big supply size was worked out on the anticipated peak need: full house, getting ready for a dinner in the house - thus all a/c's running; showers on, thus water heaters & pressure pump; dinner being prepared, thus ovens running; lights; pool pump; music; fridges; computer. Obviously, these are not all constantly running throughout the day but the intent was that a peak surge would not trip the power supply.

This is being reviewed at the moment - perhaps we don't need quite so high a figure, but this will depend on what the next 'rating band' down is available.

Also being reviewed is the 'commercial' v 'domestic' supply to see if that is why the charges are (potentially) so high.

I'll post the results in due course.

Meanwhile, on the PLN web site there seems to be some sort of bill calculator but the Indonesian is beyond me. Has anyone used this with any success?

Cheers
C

CraftyCol

Apr 17, 2006
Bahrain/Pecatu
Incidentally, presumably your fixed rates are charged on the supply rating from the PLN. This will presumably be something like 7.7kva or (around) 7700 Watts (say).

But there will also be an additional charge for usage, which will be billed in something like kilowatt-hours or watt-hours.

And it may be that the fixed rate gives you a certain amount of kilowatt-hours use before an hourly rate kicks in.

Is this presumption correct?

Cheers,
C

sander

Dec 29, 2004
Almere - The Netherlands
www.hamel.it
Everybody is using a lot of electricity then here. Bert you are saying you have 5500 watt which is about 25A (220V). I remember that in holland standard houses where equiped with 16A (3520W) and in indonesia most houses have less.

We have a small office with 1 AC (1,5PK), 6 computers and some standard equipment (fridge, dispenser etc.) and we have 3500W and are paying about 800.000 - 900.000 per month.

Kind Regards,

Sander

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Well, I’m totally embarrassed. Operating a gallery, and two houses, one would think I would have a handle on this...but, I admit, I do not. If the charge was serious, like more than in the US, I would guess it would attract my attention.

Sorry, but I am forever comparing costs in Bali to costs from many years ago in New York City. So far, Bali has a long way to “catch up” with those costs.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
What do you consider average usage? I think that what we do is average, but I know a lot of folks who just can't stand not to have an airconditioned house - that is during the day. For me, that's an excessive use of electricity. Everything is relative Steve. But, as I noted above, we pay about 900,000 per month.

Canggu Steve

Apr 20, 2006
Australia
Thanks Bruce. I did note your earlier post and we would be using the power the same way as yourself. However, I was unsure if there was any difference in the pricing structure between Sumbawa and Bali.

Cheers,
Steve.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Good point, Steve. My wife thinks that there is, but she has no proof as we don't have any copies of our electric bills from Bali here. Just a side note, I find this extremely expensive so my guess is that our bills in Bali are less, but then we don't have ac in the Bali houses.

Tommy

May 11, 2005
hmm let me think here... i think we have around 3500watts at home. this is what we use at home.. of course not 24/7 or all of them at the same time...

4 televisions, 2 refridgerators, 1 ac, 1 water-heater, about 14 lamps (10 of them energy-saving), 2 floor-fans, 2 dvd's, 2 laptops, 1 printer, 2 taperecorders, 1 washingmachine.. and tons of gadgets with rechargeable batteries to charge (hp, camera, psp, ppc etc etc)

costs us about 3-400.000 / month.

CraftyCol

Apr 17, 2006
Bahrain/Pecatu
I see that the posting I started is generating (no pun, again) plenty of interest!

I have now received from my electrician the PLN rates for various levels of supply which I would like to post. Currently, they are in an Excel spreadsheet but when I tried to post them (by copying & pasting) the column formatting gets lost and makes the figures unintelligible. Can anyone suggest how I can post them on this forum in a meaningful manner?

The figures make interesting reading - especially when you try to correlate the actual bill figures in the various postings to the charges that are supposed to be levied.

C

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Tommy, I’m as embarrassed as a mule trying to get it on with a horse. Two houses, and a commercial gallery, and I frankly have no clue what I pay a month. I’ll check with the “boss” who is off practicing with our women’s gamelan, and hopefully remember to post again later. :oops:

CraftyCol

Apr 17, 2006
Bahrain/Pecatu
OK, edited the spreadsheet to take out the installation costs which leaves only the monthly charges. However, i still can't get it to post properly in columns. So, I have listed the headings split with []. You'll have to try to assess which figures go under which column. There are 6 columns but some only have a ' - ' in them.

There appear to be 3 types of service: A is the regular charge (don't yet know what constitutes 'regular' but it could mean Domestic), B seems to be a business rate, C is, I believe, a pre-paid card.

I am still trying to find out if there are more 'Regular' tarifs as the PLN web-site looks like it has some. Incidentally, has anyone checked the PLN web-site? My Indonesian isn't up to the explanations - maybe it will make sense to Bali residents who speak the lingo better. (web-site http://www.plnbali.co.id ).

Basically in the 'Bisnis" tarif section, for the fixed payment you get the wattage in the last column included. If you don't use what's given: tough, you can't carry it forward to the next month. Any use above the included wattage is charged at Rp 850 per Kwh. PLEASE NOTE THAT I THINK THE HEADINGS ARE WRONG HERE. I believe the extra charge is Rp 850 per WATT HOUR, not Kilowatt hour!!! and the last column should be WATT HOURS included not Kilowatt hours! Makes more than a slight difference!!

If someone could independently verify these tarifs it would be very useful.

Also, it would be great if anyone could see if their own actual circumstance fits in with the tarifs given.

No[]TARIF[]POWER (VA)[]FIX PAYMENT (Rp)[]PRICE/Kwh (Rp)[]Kwh INCLUDED (va)
A Regular (menyala)
1 R1M 450 4,950 650 -
2 R1M 900 18,000 720 -

B Bersinar (bisnis)
1 B1 10,600 1,062,500 850 1,250
2 B1 11,000 1,062,500 850 1,250
3 B1 13,200 1,062,500 850 1,250
4 B1 16,500 5,185,000 850 6,100
5 B1 23,000 5,185,000 850 6,100
6 B1 33,000 5,185,000 850 6,100
7 B1 41,500 5,185,000 850 6,100

C PLN card (pulsa)