pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Hi - How do I get a local drivers license?

Thanks

You mayfind it easiest to go to NRMA for aninternational license for your first year. If you want to drive a motorbike in Bali make sure your license covers motorcycles.
Otherwise getting a license in Bali is just a matter of applying for it.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
I agree with Pollyanna. If you don't have Kitas, you will have to apply for a Tourist License and it must be renewed every month. Easier to get an International Driver's Permit.

Sep 20, 2011
Australia
Motorbike Licence in Bali..

How do you apply for a motor bike licence in Bali if you have a Kitas? And how often does it have to be renewed?

I am currently in negotiation for a job in Bali, and I am waiting on a contract. It will be legitimate employment with proper visas etc so I am not worried about that side of things but I am worried about riding a scooter as I do not have a motor bike licence in Australia (yet). I will look to buy a scooter in Bali, I am not interested in riding a motorbike, but believe that I will need a motorbike licence for scooters over 50cc and from what I have read most scooters are over 100cc's.

I am about to do the Driver Safe course in Adelaide (next weekend) to get my Learner's Permit. At this stage I am looking at moving to Bali in April next year so I dont think that I will leave enough time to get my P's - let alone a full licence - in Australia before I move to Bali. But I am going to get the process started (and also hopefully learn lots of priceless skills at the course) and I can then apply for my P's and then eventually a full licence when I fly back to Adelaide to visit..

I also dont have any details about the travel/health insurance provider or the policy fineprint yet that my future employer will pay for as the policy details will be included with my forthcoming contract.. I have used 1Cover in the past for holidays to Bali (havent actually driven a scooter in Bali, have only been a passenger) and the fine print reads that to be covered for insurance for scooters over 50cc you must either have a motorbike licence in your home country or in the country of travel. So without the travel/health insurance fineprint I am using 1Cover's policy as a guide.

As mentioned above, I dont think that I will have time to get my full licence in Australia before April (will ask more questions at the course next week about how long the process takes etc) so I am thinking that I will only be able to use the "licenced in the country of travel" option to be covered.

Thanks in advance for any comments. I understand the risks of travelling by scooter/motorbike in Bali - the statistics are bloody scary - but I will need to go by scooter to work each day so I am trying to find out as much info as possiible and do all of the right things to minimise any risks (and to make sure that I will be covered by insurance if anything - touchwood - bad should happen).

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I think it is probably worth your effort to to get yor license by next April if you possibly can, then get an International license based on that. This would have you fixed up for your first 12 months in Bali. If you are staying longer than that, then getting a Bali license may be a good idea, but you can jump that hurdle when you reach it.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
A license for a Kitas holder lasts for 1 year

I wouldn't waste your time and money getting your license in Australia when it will only cost you around RP 250,000 to get one here. I didn't even sit a test to get mine and even if they do make you take one all it requires you to do is drive around the block and back.

Sep 20, 2011
Australia
So my options are to try and fast track the Australian licence and get an International Licence (and renew it each year) OR if its not possible due to time constraints I can apply for a local licence for Rp250,000 (also to be renewed each year). Thanks - both answers are very helpful!

ronb, the employment contract would be for 2 years, possibly 3.

BKT, yes, it is expensive to get an Australian licence. The "Rider Safe"course, which in Adelaide is a mandatory 2 day course/lesson to get your Learner's Permit, has cost me AU$360. But... I am looking at it from the perspective that it is priceless training/advice for me as I only have a small amount of experience with scooters and have never ridden a motorbike (except as a passenger) so I feel that I need to do SOMETHING before I move to Bali..

Thanks again for your help. I have been reading this forum in the background for a few months now and have found it really useful. I have local friends in Bali that have been giving me advice but it is great to read from the perspective of expats. I am sure once I receive the employment contract I will (many) more questions..

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
...I only have a small amount of experience with scooters and have never ridden a motorbike (except as a passenger)...
Riding a scooter/motorbike or driving a car here, especially if you are inexperienced, is extremely dangerous.

I'm just mentioning this because there has recently been a spate of fatal accidents here, some involving westerners.
IMHO, Bali is not the place to test your newly-acquired skills (or lack of them).

I wish you all the very best.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Well I'm not sure what's involved in a "Riders Safe" course but I guess the only thing it will hurt is your wallet. If you don't feel confident then go for it.

I had never ridden a scooter or a bike before I came here either, I was a little nervous at first but after 5 minutes I was whizzing in and out of traffic and over taking cars with traffic coming the other way. I guess it all comes down to the individual

Natasha

Dec 1, 2010
Kerobokan
When I first moved to Bali I had a local friend teach me how to drive a scooter, every day for a few hours a day, for a week. We would go to quiet areas for me to practise. It helped a lot, not only to learn how to drive the scooter, but also to get used to the conditions of the road & other drivers and also to get familiar with the area and getting from place to place. By the end I felt much more confident driving and knew how to get around. I also got a tourist driver's licence every month, sometimes it's fast, sometimes you have to wait around for a while, but the process is pretty straight forward and efficient.

Sep 20, 2011
Australia
Natasha - Thankyou! Your post has made me feel so much better. My plan is to arrive in Bali a few weeks before I start work and so I think what you did would suit my situation too. I have already had offers from local friends who have said that they will teach me but I feel that the course in Australia is something that I should also do...

BKT - I have ridden a scooter a handful of times but not in Bali. Might take me a while before I am "whizzing in and out of traffic" but I get what you are saying.. Thanks again for your input.

Johnny - yep, I hear you. I want to be as prepared as I can be (if that is possible). Have heard about/read waaayyy too many stories about fatal accidents so I am not taking this lightly.

I will report back next week after I have completed the course.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Most company's that employs you, will get a license for you by using there agent. you will only need your photo & finger prints & the agent will do the rest. My friend had his license done this way & he was a new rider.
Riding is easy stay to the left & learn how to use the horn:icon_mrgreen:.
If you come to Bali early on a VOA you will need to leave Bali & come back in on your work visa.

Sep 20, 2011
Australia
Thanks Fred2, I'll add getting a license to my list of queries to ask them. Will still go ahead with the course here in Adelaide to get some tips and help with my confidence.

Hmm, I had a feeling that there might have been a problem with converting a VOA to a work visa from what I have read on here. Thanks for confirming. I still plan on arriving a few weeks early so I might get a cheap Air Asia flight to Darwin and then fly back to Bali..

Natasha

Dec 1, 2010
Kerobokan
The more practise you get, the better! So if you have time & money to do course in Australia, why not!! I don't know what area you'll be staying, but we used to go practising near airport, there are a few long streets with no hardly any cars, so it was a good place to get comfortable with the bike, practising turning, etc..

For myself it took some time to get used to, especially because I am from Canada and everyone drives on the opposite side of the road! I have to say there are areas in Bali that are quite dangerous to drive, so in those cases I feel more comfortable getting taxi or someone else to drive me- better to be safe than sorry and know your limits!

TomYum

Feb 10, 2012
Bali
I agree with Pollyanna. If you don't have Kitas, you will have to apply for a Tourist License and it must be renewed every month. Easier to get an International Driver's Permit.

Seems like it is cheaper to get an international license than a local one?? I asked about Indo licenses and you have to have 1 for car, 1 for bike and they cost Rp.400,000 each... per year??

TomYum

Feb 10, 2012
Bali
Sorry, that's with a KITAS I can get local license but pay over $100 a year to have car and bike. Tourist per month must cost more

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
nah...not that long tomyum...a little over 5 years now.
but in those years, I have made alot of friends, Indonesian friends..
and knowing a little about much, is better then to know much about a little :icon_biggrin:

tom

Sep 27, 2009
CA. USA
I will move to Lombok in a few months. I will eventually get a spouse sponsored visa I hope. I assume I won't be able to get a license until my visa is completed. I have an intl. license but it is not for a motor bike. Only a car. In order to get stamp on my intl license I need to be licensed for motorcycle operation here in the U.S. I don't have access to a bike here for the test and am really not too interested in going to all the trouble. So...my question is; Do you think the police are aware that the intl. license requires a stamp for motorbike operation? Think I can get away with the auto license only?