Markit

I would be grateful to hear if anyone has first-hand knowledge of what actually happens to someone from the west that has been caught working here on Bali.

I've heard plenty of second-hand horror stories but have yet to get any personal reports.

So if someone you know got caught working or doing a job on Bali by the authorities illegally I would love to hear what actually happened to this unlucky soul and how they got out (if they did) of their predicament.

Thanks in advance.
Markit

The only first hand knowledge I have is of a person being deported (no prison) and never allowed back into Indonesia......

Kayo can you perhaps be a little more informative? What happened, how did they get caught, what were they doing (work wise), etc.

As far as I remember it was that these people were tipped off..... I guess jealousy was the reason.....
It was a Hotel/Homestay & Restaurant - what these people were working is unclear to me but any form of working without a permit is against the law.
It was the police and immigrations that turned up on the hotel's doorstep and caught the unlucky few red handed.

The only person of that group that I had actually met was apparently working in the office - sales and promotion. The only reason I know of this persons crime was because I wondered what had happened to her.

Basically in the East and maybe the North of Bali too there is not much control, but if you anger another person the chances that you will be reported are great. And immigrations will follow up on reports made to them.

Kayo can you perhaps be a little more informative? What happened, how did they get caught, what were they doing (work wise), etc.

I got caught with doing something else than the title on my workvisa said. I got reprimanded and needed to fly to Jakarta for interrogation at Depnaker. I got of with a donation and needed to change my title which involved a trip to Singapore.

I personally know someone who was 'working' on a multi entry business visa as a self employed dive and culture guide to visiting westerners that he attracted with his web site. All monies and fees being paid overseas he got busted after being followed by immigration officers who saw him take money from a client as a 'donation' for fuel. They charged him with illegal operation of a Taxi!!!! He was told 50juta or Hotel Kerebokan, he paid the fine. No receipt and a verbal warning.

Back