hadodi

Nov 8, 2013
NE Bali
Great kids

Since the occasional visitor to Bali and those that live here have been heard to bitch about the plastic bag trash everywhere I thought it would be good to see what the younger generation are doing about it http://ted.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=07487d1456302a286cf9c4ccc&id=7d2ce81ea5&e=6b4350db24

I think they deserve our support. What do you think?

The problem is they are not realistic. The problem is THE BALINESE DO NOT WANT TO LEARN! If it is the crazy driving or pollution, or selling land for buying expensive cars or Harleys, they destroyed already their paradise. This, because the damage already done, is not revocable anymore. When the last river is down, the last environment destroyed we will see that we cannt eat money

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It took at least 1/4 century for Americans to get the whole environmental protection thing and many still don't pay attention to it. When I was a kid in the 70s we thought nothing of driving through the countryside after a visit to McBarf's just casually throwing all the garbage out the car windows - just like now in Bali. That all changed when the nasty-assed cops with big fecking guns would stop the cars and demand an immediate payment of fines (with receipt) for littering.

All change would need in Bali/Indonesia is for the cops to start doing their jobs and the politicians to back them up with appropriate legislation. The Balinese are notorious pussies when presented with a figure of authority so I'm sure they would do what they are told.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I agree with the other posters in that it takes enforcement to change years of bad attitude and the Bali police seem oblivious. They'd rather provide a convoy for Harley Bikers than enforce law in regard to littering or driving.

Just today we drove down Gatsu and a group of kids were on motor bikes, doing wheels-up, laughing and giggling as they crossed a busy intersection. A policeman saw the event and did nothing. Those kids were clearly underage for any licence and yet...the powers that reside in Jakarta are proposing 3 new types of Sim C for different sizes of motorbike engines. How ironic they allow kids to play in the middle of a busy street and do nothing while implementing laws which will never be enforced except at renewal time.....:icon_rolleyes: when getting an appropriate Sim C will be more expensive.

I'd suggest they should get those convicts out of the Kerobokan Hilton and go on garbage pick-up duties. Then take schoolchildren out to watch and hopefully get a message.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
All power to young people pushing for a War On Plastic. Probably should start at home and educate their parents that burning plastic and dumping it into rivers is bad.

"Just today we drove down Gatsu and a group of kids were on motor bikes, doing wheels-up, laughing and giggling as they crossed a busy intersection. A policeman saw the event and did nothing. Those kids were clearly underage for any licence..."

davita. I see this every day of the week. Few locals seem to care about it, or if they do, they don't want to confront the adults who give the children the motorbikes in the first place.
The police are complacent supposedly because they figure the kids wouldn't have enough money to pay them. (Too much work to impound the bikes and get the owners to front up to get them back. Either that, or they're just too lazy - bules are better pickings.)

About 15 years ago, I saw a young kid trying to drive a Daihatsu Feroza in Ubud. I couldn't figure out how he could.
The answer? There were two other kids down below pushing the pedals!

Haven't seen any babies driving cars lately - they've got motorbikes now.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm not convinced the Green School is any good for general education but it seem to be a world beater in ecological/sustainability subjects. Pity you can't earn a crust with those... yet?

At $20k/year with very little chance of the qualifications earned being recongnized by any other school in the world it seems a bit silly but there's all those tree-huggers sending little Sasha and Hermine there while they do Yoga and eat bean sprouts in Ubud.