mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I had plans to try all sort of exotic fruit wines.

One of the worries I had was hygene, being able to properly sterlize all the equipment, the other was finding yeast, though I figured I could have tried it without. (I am talking about Lombok and 10 years ago - I thnk it would be easier to find now)

I would be interested to hear how you get on.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
I brought in a home beer-brewing kit from Darwin a few years ago, including the bottle-topper gadget, various packets of brews, beer thermometer and hundreds of uncrimped bottle tops.

Sure, the Customs' staff couldn't help but notice and I was asked what all that stuff for.

I told them something like "I've been living in Indonesia for quite a while and sometimes I get tired of drinking just Bintang ('good' as it is). I want to make my own beer, for a change..

I'm not sure they really understood what I was getting at but let me through with no problems. Didn't even ask me to pay 'duty'...

So it is possible - just be prepared for a little confusion and a few questions. Laughing a lot (politely) that there's anything out of the ordinary, should help as well.

:D

trinrick

May 1, 2008
Nusa Dua
baliholidayhouse.weebly.com
Thanks Mimpi and Sanurian
I will keep you up to date on my success or failure.
Apparently the mix is made with dehydrated Australian sauvignon grapes and it just a matter of mixing the ingredients and fermenting then decanting filtering and bottling.
Wait 3 months and walah.. chateau de Nusa Dua :lol:

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
If you ever get to the North, I know two people there who are involved with making wine and brewing.. and even have licenses to sell...

Fritz, in Kayuputih makes fruit wines, and Eugene makes "Black Sands", a sparkling clear variant of local brewed stuff.. tuak...

Chuck

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are going to be moving to Bali soon, my wife is Balinese and I am a westerner that likes to make homebrew. I have a pretty large home brew set up with some stainless steel kegs for fermentors brew kettles and the like. I was wondering if I had it all shipped in would it pass through customs?

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Hi Chuck, is your wife indonesian? If you move you put everything in a container (I believe this very container is even taxfree for indonesian family reunion), I have friends who brought washing machines, bicycles, tool boxes, etc (anything you can imagine), in the worst case have a little chat with the customs officer...knock it down, they will maybe open some boxes to make sure that there are no illegal objects inside. But homebrew is ok for private consumption.

summerwood

May 12, 2013
North Bal, i NE USA
Did you ever ship your brewing equipment? I've been brewing for a long time, just started to brew in Indo when I'm there. I 've been bring all the ingredients with me. Customs has stopped me, the extract looks like some sort of powered drugs. They get all excited, then slowly clam down when I explain it's just sugar " go ahead taste it " "cobat dulu". They never even bothered.

Cheers