balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Report from Jakarta Globe:

Four Blue Bird taxis were attacked and vandalized by an angry mob of rival taxi operators in Kuta, Bali, on Monday.

The incident is the latest violence targeted at the Jakarta-based Blue Bird group in Bali. The company having a reputation for safety and using taxi meters, a far from standard operating procedure for most taxi companies.

Teguh Wijayanto, a spokesman for PT Praja Bali Transportasi, which holds the operating licence for Blue Bird, said the violence began when dozens of people, allegedly from the Bali Tourism Service Association (PJWB), a union of taxi drivers, began throwing rocks at a number of Blue Bird taxis on Jalan Sunset in Kuta.

“We received information that four taxis were damaged. We have reported it to Kuta Police,” Teguh told Detik.com.

The crowd also raided Blue Bird taxis passing along the road and forced the passengers to exit the vehicles.

The tension between Blue Bird and other taxi operators in Bali started early this year when the provincial administration’s Transportation, Information and Communication Department sent a letter to the company questioning the legal standing of the Bali taxi operation. The letter, dated Feb. 1, 2010, questioned the use of the Blue Bird brand on taxis operating under permits issued to Praja Bali.

In March, hundreds of taxi drivers rallied to demand the provincial government revoke a license allowing Blue Bird to add another 250 vehicles to its current fleet of 750.

The demonstration started with a convoy from Sunset Road in Kuta to the Provincial Legislative Council (DPRD) building and the governor’s office, causing a massive traffic jam. Along the road, protesters waved posters and banners saying things like “Kick the Blue Bird out of Bali” and “Blue Bird = Killing Balinese people.”

Local taxi operators have previously tried to oust Blue Bird, which is often preferred by tourists and locals, from the province by accusing them of operating under a false license, a claim that Blue Bird has denied.

Budi Santoso, a worker who frequently commutes between Denpasar and Malang, said he chooses Blue Bird because of the high cost of a local taxi. “I was surprised when I was asked to pay Rp 70,000 ($7.63) from the Ubung Bus Terminal to the Renon area. And if you take the Blue Bird it is only about Rp 30,000. My friends share this complaint,” he said.

C

CanonMan

Along the road, protesters waved posters and banners saying things like “Kick the Blue Bird out of Bali” and “Blue Bird = Killing Balinese people.”

Yeah right. Coming back in to Bali after a work stint abroad I had left the car at home, hence needed a taxi. I live between Kuta and Sanur, the 'quote' from a regular Bali Taxi was Rp150,000. I put it on the meter with a Blue Bird Taxi and it came to Rp42,000.

I think the only conceivable concept that Blue Bird are killing the Balinese people is by working with meters therefore taking away the potential for the Balinese Taxi drivers to make a killing from their customers, both Balinese and visitors.

SallyGeneration

Jun 8, 2010
Here are the facts as I know them based on hundreds of taxi rides this year, and regular conversations with drivers from all companies:

Blue Bird is legally allowed 500 taxis to be in Bali. However, 750 are currently on island, and the company plans to send another 250 this year. By the end of this year, Blue Bird plans to have 500 illegal taxis on island which: 1) do not pay local taxes, 2) take business away from local taxi drivers. Due to these tensions, at least demonstrations (clogging the streets) have been held by local taxi drivers with no result. Tensions are now mounting and Blue Bird taxis are starting to exhibit road rage bordering on dangerous. I take taxis daily, and I have frequently seen Blue Bird taxis swerve directly into my lane to try to hit local taxis.

FARES: All taxis on Bali are required to use meters. . If you're not savvy enough to insist on them using it, then I can't help you- you're on your own. But just so you know- the fares are the same in all companies I have used during the past 18 months. Komotra and Ngura Rai cost the same as Blue Bird per km in my experience, and in the long FOR ME LOCAL TAXIS ARE MUCH CHEAPER because the drivers are FROM Bali, and know traffic patterns and short cuts better.

INCENTIVES for TAXI DRIVERS TO CHEAT: For all companies, drivers who do not own their car have to pay a daily car-use fee and take home a portion of the remainder. For Komotra this is about 200,000/day. For Blue Bird this fee is very high (I think 350,000, because vehicle maintenance is more expensive with their new fleet), so it's hard for them to reach this base fee with fares alone. While many drivers are honest, some do what they can to run up the fare so they can take some home at the end of the day. Blue Bird or not, this situation is common in Bali, - please put into perspective the root of this behavior (hunger) if it happens to you. With more and more [unregistered Blue Bird] taxis on island, most drivers to not make enough money to feed their families, so the incentive to cheat and go keliling is growing- and the result will be poorer service for us

THE DEMOS: For this reason, this is the 8th local protest against the company of Blue Bird Taxi by local taxi drivers in Bali. After each demo the government says they will rid Bali of the illegal taxis, but as yet this has not happened. This is the first time demonstrations have lead to violence.

The damage that occurred yesterday involved: up to 21 taxis were damaged (windows broken).

The local taxi drivers made a point not to hurt any people. They consider the Blue Bird Taxi drivers just like them- people who have a hard time feeding their families. Local taxi drivers in Bali are only upset with the company and the lack of action by the government in enforcing the law.

For example- all Blue Bird taxis caught in the demonstration were targets. However local taxi drivers made a point not to hurt anyone (including a Blue Bird driver who got out and started throwing stones). I know of one which was carrying a tourist who was sick to the hospital. THE LOCAL TAXIS CLEARED THE WAY FOR THIS BLUE BIRD TAXI ALLOWING IT TO GO QUICKLY TO THE HOSPITAL. This act shows tremendous degree of empathy when they are fighting for their own survival.

THE BLUE BIRD SITUATION: I know people who want to support local businesses but are nervous about taking a local taxi simply because they are (incorrectly for Bali anyway) told that other companies are not safe for one reason or another. If you take one but are nervous about being "taken for a ride", SIMPLY SAY "I SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TAXI COMPANY" and they will be very happy, and treat you with respect as you have them. If there's such thing as an "open sesame" phrase on the island to get good taxi service right now, that's it!

COMPLAINTS: If you are unhappy with your driver, remember the taxi number and complain to the company. Blue Bird and Komotra have very harsh consequences for poor driver behavior, and people do get fired over this on a regular basis.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Here are the facts as I know them based on hundreds of taxi rides this year, and regular conversations with drivers from all companies:
<and a long post>...

Welcome to our forum SallyGeneration. We hope you stick around and give us your thoughts on other topics. And keep enjoying your taxi rides - with hundreds per year - few of could equal you.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Hi Sally,

thanks for your post - very interesting! Funny though i discussed all that recently with a balinese friend - for hours. The local government should not allow any more taxis in Bali, easy to say i know. The Taxis have a DK registration so it shouldn´t be too difficult to find out how many Taxis operating on the island.

I think this gonna happen:

1. Stop of new licences & expansion car fleet
2. Because of no actions against illegal taxis one of the big taxi companies bankrupt
3. Finally get rid of illegal taxis

Gonna take a while, one thing my friend believing in will not happen: Bluebird will not be forced to leave Bali just like that, if the government would do so = very bad impact on investors & free economy.

One point i disagree with you: "COMPLAINTS: If you are unhappy with your driver, remember the taxi number and complain to the company. Blue Bird and Komotra have very harsh consequences for poor driver behavior, and people do get fired over this on a regular basis." I once called one of those two companies and complained about a driver who slapped my wife in the face (not hard but it´s no behaviour so we went to the police and called the central office of the taxi company), both police and central weren´t interested at all, you could hear what they were thinking: an indonesian MAN slap an indonesian WOMAN in the face? Oh my gosh, next! Both did nothing at all, the taxidriver said a phony sorry and walked away smiling, that´s it! Still a macho world, so next time it might be better if i hit that guy, but it caused a traffic jam on the jalan legian and there were many other taxi drivers and i was the only bule, excuses excuses but I know one guy who was in a fight with a Kuta taxi driver and some days later he went home after party and they (the taxi guy and his friends) catched him....kick the s**t out of him.....

Last edited:

SallyGeneration

Jun 8, 2010
that's TERRIBLE! I guess it shows that ultimately it's not the company, it's the driver who determines your experience.

BaliChiro

Apr 28, 2010
Bali
Where do you get your facts Sally? "All taxis in Bali use the same fare basis"... Have you ever tried to take a taxi from within the airport? at the domestic arrival gate for example? The fares quoted there are insane! Nothing to do with reasonable and customary and their taxis are beat up with defective A/C for the most part... Also, how do you explain the differences in fares from one company to another? Why does a trip from kuta to sanur costs around 50,000 with Blue Bird and 80,000 with other companies? Using the same road..! "Ask politely to turn on the meter"... Been there, done that. I speak the language fluently but it made no difference. The meter never got turned on and not just on one occasion! Better to get out when it's like that rather than getting ripped off.
"Complain" to who? the phone number they give you..! Manned by their buddies. Doesn't work...
What about all those "pseudo" taxis that operate illegally? When do we inspect/get rid of them? Fair is fair, isn't it? If Blue Bird has operational licenses for 500 taxis and they want to increase their fleet, it's normal they apply for the proper permits but what about all those other companies and fake operators? Who controls them? What happens when the driver of those vehicles is not the same person as the one on the picture inside the vehicle? So many questions...So few answers!
For now at least, I'll stick with a professional service providing clean vehicles in good working order!

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
It´s a fact that there are not enough customers to satisfy all those thousands of taxis, it´s also a sad fact that BLUE BIRD is so far more professional than the others because they are able and willing to fulfill the customer´s wish - turn on the goddamn meter!

Difficult to explain all that in english, but there are 4 factors here, the drivers, the companies, the government and last but not least the clients, the following is my own opinion, i don´t claim that all of this is correct!

1. DRIVERS: there are of course good and bad driver in any of those companies, there are javanese drivers in local taxi union as well as Balinese who work for Bluebird, but there (in my opinion) are 2 different approaches, the bluebird driver is an employee, he gets higher salary but less "tips" or "bonus", he has much more clients every day than the others, the typical union driver is a freelance businessman who works for a taxi company he pays them very day /week to use their car and have to share his profit with them (maybe every day 250.000 - 350.000), his salary is LOW. He has less clients every day and just agrees to drive them if HE makes some profit because only with this profit or extra money he can survive and feeds his family
2. COMPANIES: Bluebird is a taxi company who (co)exist in many other places, they have a modern "western" approach, the client is king stuff etc, they pay more salary for their employees but make much more profit cause of an efficient system, I think all the owners of other taxi companies (some owned by government i heard) in the union know that this is the better system, so why they don´t change it? Because they would have to pay much more salary to satisfy their drivers (right now the drivers are kind of self-supplier) and because the drivers like the old system as it is (less clients but plenty of "extra money"), if you imagine yourself a shop which sells just red pillows and your neighbor sells pillows in all colours, red, blue green etc., and you see every day the clients want to have all kind of colours not just red so because of this your neighbor is very succesfull and you not, what mr. average gonna do? Right he expands his selection and also sell different colours. Back to the taxis, why the local taxi companies not just do that and instead organise demos and street rage? Because this is much more cheaper than changing the system (both the driver and the bosses lose couple of days money), what they actually really hope is that Pastika kick Bluebird out of Bali i don´t think this is gonna happen.
3. the GOVERNMENT: the government is happy so far about new companies and especially new cars, they get money & taxes so why bother? If this stays like that the day will come when you can buy a new car but be unable to actually drive it (other countries like china f.e. have regulations, you may have the money to buy a new car but you can´t and have to wait another year or two until you might get lucky), as i posted above I think that the government will try to mediate between bluebird and the union: no new licenses for taxi comp., but it will gonna take time until they actually remove those illegal or "additional" taxis, maybe to long for 1 or 2 of this taxi companies to survive this "war"
4. the CLIENTS: Bali and the tourism industry is getting more and more professional every year, in the old days you was happy if you find ANY cheese or a good milk, now you have the choise between plenty, and why the client shouldn´t take the best he can get for his money? Some balinese friends of mine complaining about bluebird they say "buy balinese" but they honestly admit that they also would choose the cheaper fare if they´ve to choose between a 40.000 and a 75.000 rupiah ride, so if the local taxi companies want to survive please change the system, the tourists (local and international) want to drive with METER so you should listen to what your clients want! If you just think about what is the best and the most convenient for yourself good luck! Because i see there no future for at least half of you.

Regards

Marc

Last edited:

SallyGeneration

Jun 8, 2010
"All taxis in Bali use the same fare basis"... Have you ever tried to take a taxi from within the airport? at the domestic arrival gate for example? "Ask politely to turn on the meter"... Been there, done that. I speak the language fluently but it made no difference. The meter never got turned on and not just on one occasion!
"Complain" to who? the phone number they give you..! Manned by their buddies. Doesn't work...

Yes- it's true taxis at the airport are part of a cooperative. They have set prices (the window to the right as you exit baggage claim) based on zones, which are higher than taxis roaming the streets. These prices are posted. Considering all the people coming into and out of Bali, on the whole this is probably a decent deal for most new tourists to Bali, since they are not then penalized for not knowing how to get to their hotels. It pays for the driver to take them to their hotel but the most direct route. I fly in and out of DPS to other islands about twice a month. What works for me is to talk with the driver who drops me off, and ask if he wants to pick me up at the end of my trip. Generally this works- you get the guy's Hp number, and then sms him your flight info, and he's there waiting when you arrive. This is a way to avoid the co-op prices. Sure- it involves him then knowing your number which you may not be comfortable with. For me it has not been a problem. If he's not there then you can just take the co-op guys.

As for the meters- I don't know what makes one person a mark and not another, and can understand why you don't want to deal with this.

Last edited:

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
I spend a LOT of time on the roads in Bali in everything from the tourist areas and deep into Denpasar as well and I have not ever ONCE seen a Bluebird driver deliberately try to hit another taxi and I refuse to believe that.

Also the statement of the other taxi drivers taking a non-violent approach to the protest completely contradicts everything that I have heard and that other people have told me including first hand accounts. Protests were held at Makro as well and got quite out of hand.

I very rarely take taxi's as I have a motorbike, but when I have I always take Bluebird because of their reliability. I would never suggest to anyone who is not familiar with Bali to take a taxi from any other service. I admit I have taken a taxi from another service on just one occasion and it was not a bad experience, there was a meter and the driver was polite, although the trip was about rp 20,000 than it would have been with Bluebird. However it is very obvious that I live here and I speak the language so that cuts down my chances of being toyed around with.

PeteD

Oct 22, 2007
Indo
@SallyGeneration

You are really getting good value of posting your opinion in many forums about this recent attack on Blue Bird taxis. I'm a little suspicious of your affiliation! But, isn't it great we can discuss this topic and openly disagree with each other without resorting to violence. But if I did get violent, I'm glad you'd be understanding about it and know I'm just trying to survive in life.

There is so much evidence that Blue Bird are by far a more honest company with good quality service, with clean taxis, functioning AC, and polite drivers. There are so many points you make that have no true facts behind them. I feel most readers of this forum who have experienced taxi usage in Bali are intelligent enough to weed out your facts from fiction and determine for themselves which taxi company is better to use.

The biggest issue I have with your post is you stating the protesters didn't injure anyone and they showed "tremendous degree of empathy" by allowing one Blue Taxi to continue to the hospital with a sick passenger. The fact is the violent protesters did attack and injure 2 reporters during the protest. It makes no sense at all why the sentiment of your post is justifying the behavior of these vigilantes. It is not empathetic behavior to attack people or to vandalize other people's property.

Sally, can you please give me your address, I'd like to come around to your house and smash your windows, but I'll be sure to behave with empathy and not hurt any person. I will be making the journey to your house in the air conditioned comfort of a Blue Bird taxi, and pay the correct metered fare.

Also, please stop referring to non Blue Bird taxis as local taxis. Bali is part of Indonesia and every Indonesian has the right to live and work in Bali with peace and safety. It's true Blue Bird is a Jakarta based company, but so are many companies in Bali. This alone is no reason to target the company and try push them out of Bali. If there are issue with their permits, it's best the opposing people demonstrate in a more civilized manner and direct their complaints to the appropriate government authority, which I may add have already stated Blue Bird taxi's in Bali are operating legally with all permits in place!

Pete.

P.S. Following is a link to an interesting article which sums up the Taxi problem in Bali. Please read: Bali News: Who Speaks for the Public?

Last edited:

leandra

Feb 16, 2010
hi all

i really don't care about permit conversaions or who is killing who's job.

for me as a mum i simply need a safe and honest transportation with a driver who knows bali , spekas english- at least a lttle bt and a car in good condition.

two weeks ago i stopped a bali taxi in the road. i told the driver i wanted to go to the bimc HOSPITAL, WHEN HE ASKED ME WHERE BMIC IS, i told him to stop and went out of this taxi with my son.

the next bali taxi i have stopped was in very bad condition, the leather on the seats had big wholes, the car obviousely smelled from smoking and i could not open any window as they were broken too. The aircon was not on before( to save petrol ) and the car was terribly hot. the driver could not speak english at all and wanted to take the way through oberroi street ( from batu belig....!) to get to BIMC. as i am living in bali since 2 years , i knew he tries to cheat me, not by taximeter but with the way....

i went out of this taxi with my son again and waited, concentrating looking out for a BLUE BIRD TAXI.
we got a friendly english speaking driver, a cool and nice car and directly to BIMC with no extra ways.

ist not about bali people or not, about bali or jakarta business or not- its just the fact that the company who provded the best service gets the most customer and most sucess.
its an international fact i think and bali taxi drivers which dont work for bluebird should wake up and learn, the cant beat or threating this fact away.

have a good day
leandra

cabaicabai

May 19, 2010
The sooner the average person has a political voice in Indonesia the better then maybe they won't have to resort to mob violence.

Gotta say I always use BlueBird, got them on speed dial and I let them know where I am staying and then whenever I call I just say xxx here pick me up at home, they're pretty good that way.