Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
As I get off the plane and step into the airport Bali hits me in the face. The architecture. the sound of the gamelan music immediately lets me know where I am. The taxi on the way to my first night in a hotel and the arrival at the front desk always makes me feel good.

Many things are wrong and many things can be improved but nowhere just gives me that feeling of just being happy :D What about you?

bolli

Nov 28, 2005
Australia
I love it Jimbo.
As soon as I land I smile.
I want a cigarette.
I want a cold wet towel.
I want to hear my name called.
I want to smell the airport fumes, the cloves, the frangipani.
I chat to my driver, only half listening and look at all the familiars sights, never tiring of looking.
I can't wait. :lol:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Hi Jimbo,
I totally agree...although it has been a while since i landed at the airport.
But every morning when I wake up and realise where I am..I smile.
Sitting in the Bale..drinking some coffee while smoking a kretek..enjoying the weather and the views..I cant imagine a better place to be then here in Bali.

Yeah..there are many things wrong and many things could be improved...but somehow those things also add to the charme of the island I fell in love with.

By the way..that plane that dropped me of on this Island,that was a little over 2 years ago.
I came for a month's vacation looking to buy or rent a house for my mother(she wanted to move back to Indonesia after living in the Netherlands for a long time), but somehow this Island hypnotized me..I think,hahaha. So in that month I decided to migrate to this Island..bought some land in Panji and went back to NL for a couple of weeks.then returned here to Bali and haven't left here since :D.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Alexandre said:
yes, it's called a police officer and his job is to make your life miserable and very expensive to live and to leave
I thought it said "no negatives allowed" at the origin of this post?
And in my humble opinion...what ur saying doesnt make sense at all.
Okidoki, thats all for now.
friendly greetings, Gilbert.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Markit

No still coming over in Feb. It was a retorical statement :D

Alexandre

You appear to have a very negative attitude in your posts. Is there anything I can do to help you with your problem.

Someone once said that if you cannot say anything nice about someone or in this case some country, better to say nothing at all . Perhaps you could apply this maxim

Alexandre

Nov 21, 2005
London, UK
so Jimbo, no sense of humor, I guess I should be censored so that only good vibes permeate this website. Apologies if I polluted a thread of pure bliss and adoration of Bali. I wish you a good retirement in paradise. Delusion brought about by an extremely cold environment is quite common. It is important that the affected subject immediately starts fighting the early signs of depression. Early signs of depression can be found in the adoration of a mythical far away land, veneration of past impressions. It is important the subject stops living in the past and/or in the future.
So many people have no present. Don't be one of them. :shock:

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Alexandre there are plenty of other places to voice your negative opinions on this forum, however this branch was created to discuss the best about Bali and if you read the line at the top of the thread and branch it reads

How did Bali influence your life (today) in a positive way? Share your story, tell why Bali is such a special place. No negatives allowed.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Every time I come to Bali, it's a long (now with the new "security" b.s., about 35 hrs total, from door to door) but exciting trip, but I must confess that the glamour of the flight, for the most part, has disappeared. Except starting from the moment when the Captain announces that we are about to descend for the final approach to Ngurah Rai. Then, I take a trip back in time: the feelings of excitement and anticipation are the same as they were 10, 15, 25 years ago. Even though I should be tired, as I step out of the plane, I've never been so awake in my life. The smell of frangipani, kretek, and wood fires (and some jet fumes) hits my nostrils, and now I am "flying" for sure. I walk the long corridors (It seems they are never the same) to imigrasi and customs (now really a breeze). As I step outside the terminal, I see my friends waiting for me: although Bali has never been my home, I honestly feel I am now really back HOME.

My friends would have brought me a large Aqua and a pack of Gudang Garam "filterrrrr," and as we find our way to Sanur, we carry small talk about the families, the latest situation in Bali, etc. As my arrival is always in the early afternoon, everything is quiet (and hot). They drop me at the hotel, wait for me to settle down, and we then spend the rest of the day in the most enjoyable togetherness. But in the evening, I am alone. I walk through the dark and almost deserted Jl Danau Tamblingan, eventually stopping for a most relaxing dinner in a small restaurant. Returning to my room, I will spend several additional hours on the balcony, enjoying the heat, the smells, the noises of the night, and before I know it, my pack of Gudam Garam is gone: it's time to go to bed. This is genuine, unadulterated blithe, at least for to night…

PS. Well, I know that I am not a good writer, but I am sure most of you will know what I meant. :)

Alexandre

Nov 21, 2005
London, UK
mimpimanis said:
Alexandre there are plenty of other places to voice your negative opinions on this forum, however this branch was created to discuss the best about Bali and if you read the line at the top of the thread and branch it reads

How did Bali influence your life (today) in a positive way? Share your story, tell why Bali is such a special place. No negatives allowed.

sorry, didn't read the small print

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Tin Tin you expressed well wanted I wanted to convet.

Alexandre

I do not live in a dream world. I live in Indonesia and the UK and work in Kazakhstan. I have lived and worked in Indonesia from 1983 and been fron Sabang ke Merauke. It is not a dream it is a reality. Now approaching retirement I want to have my final home in Bali which is why I am a member of this forum.

I have a great sense of humor and get a good laugh out of your amusing an erudite posts. If I may gently advise you and that is to look before you leap, it will save you constant embarrasment and a chiding by Sweet dreams :D

JUDY

May 11, 2007
seattle wa campuhan bali
Tintin: hmmm I thought your description regarding arrival, first impressions, feelings, sights, smells, familiar sensations, were magically expressed. I could visualize myself just arriving, driving home to Campuhan, my face and hair blowing in the breeze, taking in the warm, moist, fragrant, exotic smells, plus the majestic views----mind blowing!!! Yet to hear the sound of the roosters, Bali Music everywhere, and experience the vibration only Bali exudes...A real relationship with Spirit, God, Cosmic Conscienceness.(I hope you all know what I mean) Sniff Sniff :( :( Currently, we have a new friend in my neighborhood who bursts out in Bali's number one song "Cock a doodle do" morning, noon and night. My heart cries out in pain; homesickness hits me in the head, invades my being and I honestly feel a sharp knife stabbing me in the heart. Yet I love that sweet little cock!!! :lol:

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Sitting outside at a hot new nightclub in Austin texas this weekend with tons of young girls, I'm chatting with my best friend, we bum 2 clove cig. from a kind passerby and set and talk about or time in bali as we take in the sweet clove smell. A young gal walks up for no reason at all and ask how old my friend is, he replies 40, she looks in disgust and tells him how stupid he looks for smoking a clove cg. and that its "so high school' he tells her how stupid she is for being an ass to someone holding a lit cig, as he flicks it at her............. LMAO.......

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hey Froggy, lets try and imagine how the story continued;

Burnt girl goes back to her group which includes large ex football player who then come over and, as they say in Texas, proceeds to "stomp a mudhole" in your friend that was smoking a clove cigarette for his health :lol:

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Good for me, we were with the large mudhole stomping group.... It did break out into a short lived brawl......... I just wish my 6' 1" 240 lb lesbian friend was there to lay her out, and I mean lay as in lie........

JUDY

May 11, 2007
seattle wa campuhan bali
Hey Jimbo:
Ain't it the truth how such innocent sounding words can be taken out of context. I guess my gut instincts were always right. My mouth would never have allowed me to become a politician. I can see the headlines now: "Judy Mohre says she really loves that little cock"! Impeach her now for such language.

Words are so confusing when combining languages. I recall watching soccer games in Campuhan and hearing the word "tie" mentioned consistently by the guys. I thought they were referring to the English definition of the word in reference to the score of the game. So I started to ask "is it a "tie now?" and everyone around me began looking at me very peculiarly. As the days progressed ever time I mentioned that word people began to whisper into each others ears. Mystery solved a couple of months later when I finally learned what the word tie meant "sh...t" :D :D :D Hopefully those who did not know me cut me some slack.lol

In America when I utter any profanity I simply say "TIE""! :lol: :lol: :lol: