Bali sex ban

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Quite an amazing reaction in the Australian media (again) this week. It would be nice to think no one is taking this seriously but I did see some posts on Facebook where people were having second thoughts to visit Bali.

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
It’s all over the media here including travel agents saying they are getting cancellations. When it comes to Bali bashing the Australian media is No 1. They omit to state that this is only PROPOSED legislation and is yet to be voted on. I dare say the Governor of Bali might have a bit to say about it.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Apart from being the most annoying person in the southern hemisphere (she can't decide which language she wants to use, thereby confusing most everyone and with more ticks than a Bali dog) the issue has been blocked by Jokowi yesterday. As has been reported otherwhere (my word) this "law" is simply a re-statement of custom anyway and HAS BEEN BLOCKED.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
She's lived in Bali for how long? And she really believes this is going to happen? Haha. I have NEVER been asked for a marriage certificate and I have been coming here for 15 years. She is talking absolute BS.
My take on it anyway. And she is not the most annoying person in the southern hemisphere. She is tbe most annoying person in the cosmos.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Mark IT can you please explain what you mean the issue has been "blocked"? I can just find articles that say the day for parliament to discuss it has been delayed.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Bali and Balinese are very open. I remember traveling with my wife in Sumatra before we were married and weren't allowed to stay at a hotel. It was a hotel recommended in Lonely Planet. It only happened one time. I don't agree with Sacha about the Four Seasons. If this was law, wouldn't they feel more obliged to follow the laws of the country, than a budget hotel?

Unless there were some kinds of strict fines or something, no hotel at least in Bali, is going to follow this law. As others have written these regulations already exist to a certain degree. I thought adultery was already a crime.

This was posted in 2016: https://balipod.com/forum/threads/the-family-love-alliance-is-coming-to-get-you.11705/

From 2013: https://balipod.com/forum/threads/unmarried-couples-caught-having-sex-could-face-jail-time.8925/

Australian woman arrested for adultery in Bali (2011): https://balipod.com/forum/threads/australian-and-balinese-arrested-for-adultery.6589/

I am 99% sure this would never be enforced for tourists. If a foreigner lives with a local then they could be asked to get married. I have heard of foreigners being pressured to marry by family/village.

Like most people, I hate governments interfering in our lives. The main issue I had with this, was the way it has been blown up by the Australian media.

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
As far as I know, this has pretty much been a custom already in place in Indonesia for many years right? Bali has always just been more open about everything so it has not been enforced. Anyway, I'm sure nothing will really change but frankly, I wish it did so these tourism numbers would keep dropping ;)

Reactions: tel522