balinews

Feb 14, 2010
A draft of a criminal code (KUHP) revision proposed by the government for debate earlier this month punishes unmarried people caught having sex, a report said on Thursday.

“It [singles engaging in premarital sex] is liable for up to five years in jail,” Wahiduddin Adams, the director general for legislation at the Justice and Human Rights Ministry, said, as quoted by Tempo Interaktif online.

In the current penal code, only adultery is punishable under article 284.

Wahiduddin said that the government included non-married individuals in the proposed revision because it reflected the prevailing norms in the society.

“Our society is not like in the old penal code, that allows this,” he said, according to Tempo Interaktif.

However he said that the law could only be used if a report against an individual was filed by others who deemed they have been put at a disadvantage because of the action.

“Therefore, it cannot [be used] in a sweeping operation in the field,” he said, referring to the raids often conducted by police and officials on hotels and inns to look for unmarried couples sharing a room.

Wahiduddin said that the draft penal code revision also threatened unmarried couples living together with up to one year in jail.

Singles Caught Having Sex Face Jail Time Under Proposed Law in Indonesia | The Jakarta Globe

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Ridiculous - they can't arrest all the teens who got caught, there are not enough jails in Indonesia; so they will just arrest & torture the unlucky few who got caught and have no money to bribe the police :((

sunnycoast

Jun 4, 2010
It's too crazy for words.
They better start to make work to get a hold on the corruption. That's a much bigger and important issue.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Why would they get to work on addressing corruption? People spend their whole working careers in Indonesia (in bigger firms and in govt anyway) trying to get high enough up the chain to be able to partake in the game. They get paid paltry salries which barely get them by day to day paying for food and rent. No hope of ever buying or owning a home or any real assetts on these salaries.

The law is a joke, but we need to remember we are living in the biggest muslim country on earth, and lawmakers and politicians appease the poor with religion and by passing muslim related laws.

Corruption in this country is not changing for the better, its endemic and progressively becoming more acceptable. I know i'll have my fair share of knockers for this comment, but until you've worked for a large company in Indonesia run by people who have seats in the Indonesian parliamanet - you're only seeing news clippings in (government sanctioned) newpapers which are full of tales of people being prosecuted for graft. Kind of makes you think that there is a war on corruption and they are trying to change things eh?

Proposed laws like this one originally posted ensure lawmakers / pollies keep the (miserabley poor and highly religious because they have nothing else) voting population happy to win their vote so they can continue to stay in power and keep their hands in the honey pot.

clear as mud.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
People spend their whole working careers in Indonesia (in bigger firms and in govt anyway) trying to get high enough up the chain to be able to partake in the game. They get paid paltry salries which barely get them by day to day paying for food and rent. No hope of ever buying or owning a home or any real assetts on these salaries.

Unfortunately this is also true of most western countries.

English kids have no chance of every owning their own homes with their astronomic prices - ditto US and Germany. These are some examples that I personally know about.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Why would they get to work on addressing corruption? People spend their whole working careers in Indonesia (in bigger firms and in govt anyway) trying to get high enough up the chain to be able to partake in the game. They get paid paltry salries which barely get them by day to day paying for food and rent. No hope of ever buying or owning a home or any real assetts on these salaries.

The law is a joke, but we need to remember we are living in the biggest muslim country on earth, and lawmakers and politicians appease the poor with religion and by passing muslim related laws.

Corruption in this country is not changing for the better, its endemic and progressively becoming more acceptable. I know i'll have my fair share of knockers for this comment, but until you've worked for a large company in Indonesia run by people who have seats in the Indonesian parliamanet - you're only seeing news clippings in (government sanctioned) newpapers which are full of tales of people being prosecuted for graft. Kind of makes you think that there is a war on corruption and they are trying to change things eh?

Proposed laws like this one originally posted ensure lawmakers / pollies keep the (miserabley poor and highly religious because they have nothing else) voting population happy to win their vote so they can continue to stay in power and keep their hands in the honey pot.

clear as mud.

After a while i get tired.... bloody tired... of hearing about how bad and how corrupt Indonesia is compared to.... what? USA and their massive financial bank fraud?, Europe is little better with it's libor rate scam, Australia?, China? Japan? Singapore maybe?... knowingly accepting billions of US$ of corruption money from Indonesia? Corruption is a human disease, not an Indonesian one. Hinakos (the name is greek?) can you honestly tell me that you have never used the facilities provided by this endemically corrupt Indonesian system? Or can any of the long staying foreign residents in Indonesia say they have never availed themselves of these "short cuts"? Yes, I have worked for for more than one large company whose owner sat in the DPR. What does that prove? That you and I made fat salaries from someone who we knew was corrupt. Why didn't you mengundurkan diri in protest? If Indonesia offends you so much the solution is simple. Go home. Whether we like it or not, we are guests in another mans cave, and he owns the biggest club in the house, so he makes the rules to suit his own purposes. (No offence intended hinakos or others here, but we all live in Indonesia for the benefits we get from the country.) Indonesia as a free democratic nation is only 15 years old. Give it a chance mate!

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
After a while i get tired.... bloody tired... of hearing about how bad and how corrupt Indonesia is compared to.... what? USA and their massive financial bank fraud?,
Try this experiment, travel to the US, then for an easy comparison ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Get pulled over by any law enforcement person, and offer them the equivalent of 50000rp bribe and see how fast your ass get thrown in the slammer. Get back to me on that.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
After a while i get tired.... bloody tired... of hearing about how bad and how corrupt Indonesia is compared to.... what? USA and their massive financial bank fraud?, Europe is little better with it's libor rate scam, Australia?, China? Japan? Singapore maybe?... knowingly accepting billions of US$ of corruption money from Indonesia? Corruption is a human disease, not an Indonesian one. Hinakos (the name is greek?) can you honestly tell me that you have never used the facilities provided by this endemically corrupt Indonesian system? Or can any of the long staying foreign residents in Indonesia say they have never availed themselves of these "short cuts"? Yes, I have worked for for more than one large company whose owner sat in the DPR. What does that prove? That you and I made fat salaries from someone who we knew was corrupt. Why didn't you mengundurkan diri in protest? If Indonesia offends you so much the solution is simple. Go home. Whether we like it or not, we are guests in another mans cave, and he owns the biggest club in the house, so he makes the rules to suit his own purposes. (No offence intended hinakos or others here, but we all live in Indonesia for the benefits we get from the country.) Indonesia as a free democratic nation is only 15 years old. Give it a chance mate!

The corruption here is endemic, rooted in every company and every government institution.

You cannot compare it to Australia or the US.

Hinakos is a small island off the coast of Sumatra.

Have i used the facilites provided by this endemically corruopt system? Yes - when pulled over for junk charges (motorbike headlight being on in the daytime?? "pay or come with me to police station!" ; pay cash to get an electricity meter connected or wait for 1 year ; pay to have my building documents looked at and stamped next month instead of next year).

Fat salaries?? I lost a 140K a year job in Kalimantan for refusing to sign off on shonky engineering reports that the (Indonesian goverment based) Company I worked for wanted me to sign. 2 choices: sign the papers and endanger people working on this equipment (and open myself up for criminal conequences when it inevitably failed), or refuse on the basis that my qulaified engineering principles would be respected and changes made . Result - an email "your services are no longer required". They found someone more "compliant"

I worked in engineering in several different countries, and its not the same as Indonesia.

You can compare Indonesia to Vietnam, Phillipines, China etc etc.....but you cant put it in the same bag as the US amd Australia.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
I never said Indonesia offends me ......where did you get that from?

I'm just saying it like it is. OP posted in reference to this crazy new law being passed, I offered my opinion on why such laws are made, and by whom these laws are made and for what purpose.

You're the one who seems to have taken offence - aplogies if my post hit a raw nerve with you. 10 to 1 odds you have an "Indonesia Merdeka" sticker on your bumper.

I'm not going home, Indonesia is my home. At least until my child is of schooling age and I need to put her into a real education system (Australia)

I dont expect to win any popularity prizes, but I kinda take pride in saying it like it is.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
when pulled over for junk charges (motorbike headlight being on in the daytime?? "pay or come with me to police station!

Out of topic but curious: don't they change the rules here a year ago to you must have the motorbike headlight ON during the day?

Rambutmerah

Jul 30, 2006
Sukumabali
yes, you'r right about the headlights having to be ON during the day. The rules changed quite a long time ago. 2007 or 2008.