balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Three bouncers from a Bali bar have been arrested over an attack on former North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley and his family.

A police officer at the Kuta Police Station, who identified himself as Mr Dalto, said three security guards from the Bounty Discotheque had been in custody for three days.

He said the security guards had given a different version of events.

"They make police report too about hit. The first story they have, the suspect story when it happened, the security went in to stop fighting," Mr Dalto said.

He said a meeting was held today between police, the Bounty Discotheque, the family and the Australian consulate to "try to get a solution for this case".

"Three days ago we got them (security) and they stay in jail. The police still continue to take investigation to them," he said.

Laidley required stitches after being hit in the head with a bottle, his son’s jaw was broken and other family members including women were also injured in the attack.

Speaking on radio this morning, Laidley said police had told him the vicious attack may have been a set-up.

Laidley was glassed with a beer bottle and his son Cane suffered a broken jaw and suspected broken nose in the stoush with security guards at the club, one of Kuta’s most popular nightspots.

The godfather of Laidley’s youngest daughter was also pushed into a pond outside the club and held underwater, almost drowning him, Laidley claimed.

Laidley said he had reported the assault on Friday night to Indonesian police.

"What the police are telling us so far is that things like this happen all the time," Laidley told SEN radio.

"Not to this degree. We had taken family snaps of the night .. and they’ve taken all those and from what they can gather they reckon it’s from a police set-up."

Footage of Mr Laidley’s son and other injured and bloodied family members waiting to receive treatment at the Bali International Medical Centre was aired on Today Tonight last night.

They were treated for head trauma and glass cuts sustained in the brawl, Channel Seven reported.

A doctor at the centre said one family member had an open wound to the forehead after being hit with a beer bottle.

During the footage, which Laidley claims he asked not to be aired, one woman in the group said a group of men were waiting to pounce at the club.

"‘He grabbed him by the T-shirt, ripped him down, started kicking him, pounding into him," she says.

"They had people waiting, three people for each person."

Laidley had travelled to Bali with his family to celebrate the wedding of his daughter Brooke on Tuesday, and the extended family was celebrating one of its last nights together on Friday.

They had gone out to dinner when some of the younger members decided to kick on at another venue, and their parents joined them.

Laidley said he had "Bali belly" and was not drinking alcohol on the night, and labelled the attack "completely unprovoked and out of the blue".

‘‘Everyone was just dancing and having a good time and then all of a sudden, bang, whatever happened happened,’’ he told SEN.

Mr Laidley and his injured son flew home late on Saturday, however some of the group, including Laidley’s wife and daughter, are still in Indonesia.

He said walking his daughter down the aisle was ‘‘one of the best days of my life’’, and it was devastating that the family trip had degenerated into such violence.

Read more: Dean Laidley Bashed on Bali Wedding Holiday

Tiggy

May 6, 2011
Lombok
Strange story.
'Speaking on radio this morning, Laidley said police had told him the vicious attack may have been a set-up."

ok excuse my noobishness here, but set up for what?? I cannot think of a motive to set them up unless they really pissed some people off.

Oh and yay :icon_rolleyes: (heavy sarcasm here) on it being on today tonight.... Fine journalistic program that.. Perhaps it will scare the bogans away though :D

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Set up my ass, they must have pissed off the Security Guards/Laskar Bali Gang Members who work there. They should count them selves lucky they're not dead like the Kiwi who was bottled there last year.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
(heavy sarcasm here) on it being on today tonight.... Fine journalistic program that.. Perhaps it will scare the bogans away though

Shame on the Age also for doing nothing by basing their article on a Today Tonight story without doing any kind of investigation of their own. It seems like trying to present two sides of a story is a thing of the past.

How can they claim this was all a setup? And why would he ask the footage not to be aired? It can only mean that that the footage doesn't support their case.

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia

Speaking on radio this morning, Laidley said police had told him the vicious attack may have been a set-up.

The godfather of Laidley’s youngest daughter was also pushed into a pond outside the club and held underwater, almost drowning him, Laidley claimed.

"Not to this degree. We had taken family snaps of the night .. and they’ve taken all those and from what they can gather they reckon it’s from a police set-up."

Laidley said he had "Bali belly" and was not drinking alcohol on the night, and labelled the attack "completely unprovoked and out of the blue".

Read more: Dean Laidley Bashed on Bali Wedding Holiday

ehh what a crock of sh!t.. The bounty security - Laskar or not are nut cases. Laskar have quite alot of security in alot of clubs and bounty just seems to be nuts but from my experiences of going there the sh!t from indo & the sh!t from aus meet up and have a free for all in groping expeditions and fights. Certainly not my bar of choice.

I have never seen this pool/pond behind, infront or inside Bounty??

He had Bali belly yet he was able to leave his hotel room??

This guy sounds like a twat that got too drunk, too mouthy and got put back in his place..

kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
Don't you think it's strange how this happens right at the time when the boot is being put into Bali because some little dickhead got nabbed for buying some pot?
Setup my a---e

rab

Sep 20, 2011
So, looking at the big picture, as a future expat would I be safe there in Bali? You hear about these things quite often. It makes me wonder if Westerners are welcomed.

RhysG

Oct 3, 2011
seminyak
www.lokalliving.com
bali is so safe and when you go out there just one rule dont piss off the lokal, dont be cheeky with them and don't talk shit to them.
i hang at the seminyak club a lot with the security and there hardly ever any fight in seminyak because you dont have drunk aussie drick head now when i go into im the one getting in to fight because some drunk either pissing me off, being cheeky or talking shit.

The lokal are really getting tired of these aussie coming here getting drunk causing shit and starting fight so now the have zero tolerance for stupid behavior by the aussie. the problems not bali the problem is the aussie that come here, not saying all aussie act like that but a high majority of aussie that come here act like that. It a shame relay for other tourist that just want to have a fun night out and then come a long a bunch of aussie tourist drunk off there face and then they start shit.

oh some sid they never seen a pond in bounty it on the side as you are walking up the stairs to go to the main dance floor.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
So, looking at the big picture, as a future expat would I be safe there in Bali? You hear about these things quite often. It makes me wonder if Westerners are welcomed.
Thats why I'm shocked your thinking of coming here, you have no idea of Indonesia & you live in the America were its 100 times worse then here. Indonesia is a lot safer than most countries in the world.

leandra

Feb 16, 2010
bali is so safe and when you go out there just one rule dont piss off the lokal, dont be cheeky with them and don't talk shit to them.
i hang at the seminyak club a lot with the security and there hardly ever any fight in seminyak because you dont have drunk aussie drick head now when i go into im the one getting in to fight because some drunk either pissing me off, being cheeky or talking shit.

The lokal are really getting tired of these aussie coming here getting drunk causing shit and starting fight so now the have zero tolerance for stupid behavior by the aussie. the problems not bali the problem is the aussie that come here, not saying all aussie act like that but a high majority of aussie that come here act like that. It a shame relay for other tourist that just want to have a fun night out and then come a long a bunch of aussie tourist drunk off there face and then they start shit.

oh some sid they never seen a pond in bounty it on the side as you are walking up the stairs to go to the main dance floor.

SORRY????are you joking yes. Clubs like Bounty live since ages from this DRUNKEN AUSSIES...

so please come to the nightclib, get the cheap 1 liter drinks...but dont get drunk, and dont dare talking shit( even if you are drunk...).

i see it like this:

every club making money with drunken guests is supposed to have professional security in place, people trained and skilles in de- escalation, staff you cannot provocate by just looking at them...staff who is able to end fightings ( and not join or start them)

click>

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I'm the one getting in to fight because some drunk either pissing me off, being cheeky or talking shit
As I said before RhysG you need to stop going to gay bars, I think they should stop all Aussie from going to Bali.

Hang on they did stopping when some dumb ass put a boom in Kuta, as I remember everyone was up in arms because the Aussie tourist stopped coming.
Lots of hotel staff were put on 1/2 wages, lot of business went broke, The Indonesia Government put ads on Aussie TV to come back Bali was safe.
The hotel I was in went from 650 guest to 15 guest, so I can see were you are coming from RhysG, that would get a lot more room in the clubs.:icon_e_sad:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Yes Fred, staff went to half wages, but room prices doubled.

I remember asking why the price was so high, even though the hotel I usually stayed in was empty. Their answer, "only half tourists, but we still have to make the same money". :icon_rolleyes:

I found a place to stay elsewhere.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Yeah I think I paid 600aud for 30 days, there was a lot of people that done it really hard. I know a lot went back to the village to live as they didn't make enough to live on.
I was at flight center & they had lots of tickets that were changed from Bali to Fiji

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Travelling post terrorist attack generally is the safest time to fly and travel anyway. Now if you go everybody is lazy and complacent not looking for anything.. Post attack everyone everywhere is alert looking for the smallest sign of an attack. Every bag is searched, every car is searched. Now the car searching is looking in the backseat and a face mirror under the car..

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
They're also searching under the bonnet is some places as well

i see it like this:

every club making money with drunken guests is supposed to have professional security in place, people trained and skilles in de- escalation, staff you cannot provocate by just looking at them...staff who is able to end fightings ( and not join or start them)

click>

Not possible. Theres a reason they hire these people (LB Members). I'll give you an example. La Vida Loca a few years ago had security working at the door one night, they refused entry to a LB member who was drunk. The security and the LB member got into a fight in which the LB member lost. The LB member then called up all his other LB gang members and smashed every window in La Vida Loca. Establishments don't hire LB members to keep out trouble, they hire them to keep out other LB members. This is just one of the nicer stories. Maybe you heard about the New years eve massacre that happened a few years back in Kuta where a security guard was killed and dismembered with a samurai sword. Guess who?.

People just need to be aware that if you like your limbs attached to your body don't f*** with security here.