Article About Bali Dogs

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
And how many healthy dogs have been culled???

Let's hope not many.

So then, Bali remains rabies free. That should be front page news in The Bali Post tomorrow. As Mimpi says, let's hope that news gets out pronto!

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Thinking a minute beyond the present Bali "emergency" regarding the possible presence of rabies among the Bali dog population, just consider the gut reaction of the supreme leader, the Governor of Bali, who is alleged to have said,

“in capturing street dogs, the public must help the teams working in the field. Pastika said: "The people can directly take steps to kill street dogs. If this is only done by government team, clearly we'll be late in handling the problem.

Is this the reaction one would hope for from a Governor, shooting from the hip? Granted the Governor, an expert criminologist, is not required to also be a biological expert, but he has advisors who could direct him to experts in that field. So, what about consulting with them before issuing such a ridiculous and dangerous directive?

So, just think what would happen if suddenly the bird flue virus was able to be transmitted between humans. How would the so-called leaders react? Scary, to say the least. The truth of the matter is that it's actually the blind leading the blinds. :evil: :evil:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Daniel, that specific quote was taken from the Jawa Post article but it was not picked up by The Bali Post. The accuracy of the quote is questionable, and also in question is whether or not Governor Pastika ever ordered the culling of all stray street dogs in all of Bali.

Our Bali Post for today should be delivered within the hour, and hopefully there will be something more on these recent “events.” Cheers!

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing it seems:

In response to what is feared to be a rabies outbreak in Bali, several authorities and health organizations expressed their readiness Monday to carry out several measures designed to curb the spread of the disease.

Their willingness was declared at a coordination meeting held at the Bali Health Agency chaired by Tjandra Yoga Aditama, the director general of disease control and environmental health at the Health Ministry.

The meeting was attended by officials from regency animal husbandry agencies, the Bali Health Agency, police, tourism offices, community health centers, state-run Sanglah Hospital and other related institutions.

The Bali provincial administration has declared a condition of extraordinary occurrence following the confirmation that a brain sample from a dog in Kedonganan, South Kuta, tested positive to rabies.

"This is an extraordinary occurrence or an emergency situation. We have to quickly work to restore Bali as a rabies-free area," said Dewa Ketut Oka, head of the Bali Health Agency.

However, one only one brain sample of one dog tested positive, Oka said. The results of laboratory tests on the four people who died in Ungasan village, Uluwatu, recently after being bitten by stray dogs were not available yet.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
And confirmation that Pastika needs his head read, and perhaps should think before he speaks.

"The residents can just go ahead by taking the initiative to kill stray dogs. If the mass dog culling relied only on administration officers, it would take too long to get rid of," said Pastika at an open house session with the Balinese people.

The existence of stray dogs along the streets, he said, had sped up the spread of the deadly rabies virus.

Laboratory tests showed the four -- two elderly and two children -- died because of dog bites, but it was still unclear whether they died because of rabies.

"But there is an indication, the four died because of bites by rabies-infected dogs. So we have to respond to it as quickly as possible to curb its spread," Pastika said, adding rabies could only be controlled by killing the stray dogs.

In other words: we don't know for sure but lets raise the panic level. George Bush should've hired the man.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
It’s amazing how much disparate information is going around about this! In other words, is their rabies on Bali, or isn’t there…has this culling been ordered on a wide scale, a limited scale, or at all, and to what extent?

In the meantime, one wonders just how many dogs out there are needlessly being put down?

Eri took our Bali Post to with her when driving the boys to school, so I don’t know what, if anything has been reported there.

Simon, I guess we can continue to count on you to post whatever you are hearing...reading, or seeing for yourself...BUT, Bert, what's going on North...or anyone else...what's going on in your neck of the woods?

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Roy,

I agree with your wait-and-see attitude, and this is precicely why I wrote

(Governor Pastika)...is alleged to have said...

allowing for the fact that the Governor may have never suggested such a thing, although I proceeded with my point as if he had done so. (Wouldn't you call this "lawgistics?").

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Roy said:
BUT, Bert, what's going on North...or anyone else...what's going on in your neck of the woods?

Haven't heard or seen anything in the North.

Was in Jimbaran however, and heard how they killed a few dogs there on the beach, by a knock on the head, and injection to complete the job.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Bert, that is good news...the "up North" news that is.

Daniel, In a way, regardless of whether or not he actually said this, and assuming that his office is aware of the confusion, one would think (rightfully so) that his office would jump on getting this lack of clarity made clear and pronto! Personally, I am finding that most frustrating of all.

Good grief! Does Bali have rabies now or not?? Putting the dogs aside for a quick second, the need for this to be definitively answered is obvious!

BTW, I meant to compliment you earlier on your excellent job explaining canine rabies in such an understandable and clear method. That was really well done, and sorely needed too! Cheers!

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
So to sum it up, we have one group, fairly reliable, I'd say, saying that the tests are negative. Another saying:

The Bali provincial administration has declared a condition of extraordinary occurrence following the confirmation that a brain sample from a dog in Kedonganan, South Kuta, tested positive to rabies.

When the first group, who are the ones doing the testing, are saying:

With regard to their deaths officials of the hospital refused rabies infection. Head of Emergency Unit of Sanglah General Hospital, dr. Kuning Atmadjaya, Sp.B. said that they are suspected for rabies at first considering their background. “However blood tests have proven that there were no rabies infection,” said Kuning

And elsewhere, Dr Dharma, who just happens to own a vet clinic which, at a price, will inoculate dogs, confirming it.

And the governor, who should know much better, without confirmation, inciting the public to kill stray dogs.

This is truly nuts and would be laughable if dogs were not dying, likely ('with a knock on the head') painfully without, right now, good reason.

Considering how important this is, there is a level of disfunctionality, in this, at government level, right to the top, which astounds me.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I agree 100% Simon…this is embarrassing (or should be) to the Provincial government…if only to establish the truth, once and for all, to the main question, that being, is Bali still rabies free, or not?

I know one very major tour operator who has cancelled all tours to Pura Ulu Watu. While that alone presents no economic calamity, the longer this issue remains unclear, the more doubt will be raised when the final answer is given. :cry:

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
These guys wanna know if it's safe to go the beach today?

3078177167_d4772c15b8.jpg

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I hadnt had a read of here yet this morning, so was still under the impression the rabies scare was a false alarm, after yesterday's reading. An hour ago I had a visit from a police freind from Nusa Dua and three new recruits, they also patrol the bukit from there. When I said I had read that it was a false alarm, they hadn't heard anything of the kind. As far as they have been told there is rabies up here. And they confirmed the culling in Dreamland & Puri Gading, where apparently dogs have been shot and given lethal injection.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
More here today:

Pan Buncing, 60, relies on his four dogs to protect his cattle.

He rarely feeds them, letting the dogs look for their own food in trash bins or other places. He simply gives them shelter out on his front yard.

"They always come back to my house though after feeding at wherever they go to feed," he said Tuesday.

The way Buncing treats his dogs is similar to many other Balinese, who rarely collar their dogs or put them on leashes. It is near impossible to identify pet from wild dog.

The public is doubting the effectiveness behind the provincial government's plan to cull the island's wild dogs after a rabid dog was recently found on this island, which has been rabies-free for the past several decades.

Buncing himself disagrees with the plan, not wanting to lose the dogs which he has relied on to safeguard his cattle for years.

Dog owners aren't the only people being troubled by the rabies scare. Semaraputra, a 69-year-old owner of a pet shop on Jl. Veteran, Denpasar, said the threat of rabies had made it harder for him to sell pet dogs.

Semaraputra, whose pet shop has become increasingly popular since he rented out his home to be used as a pet shop in 1982, said more and more customers were asking whether his dogs had been vaccinated against rabies.

The rabies vaccine is not available in Bali as, until now, it had never been needed.

There is a whole bunch more but the last line is more disinformation. Both our dogs are innoculated and have been for years. We checked with the vet, Dr Anom on the Bypass, who is very good and she confirmed it.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
This could be serious. So, why cann't Governor Pastika, who distinguished himself so brilliantly by capturing in a record time the Bali bombers, name a commission of experts to advise him, so he comes out with a timely plan to handle the "rabies" epidemic? If nothing else, it would clear up all the misinformation and contradictory pronouncements.

By the way, a question for old Bali hands. I first came to Bali in 1984, but I seem to remember reading on this forum that I was somewhat a late comer when compared to several forumites who were in Bali way before 1984 (I believe Sanurian is one of them). Anyway, what I clearly remember is that the dog population in those days was MUCH larger than it is now, maybe by one order of magnitude. Am I dreaming or do you agree?

In those days, after dark, for example on Jl Raya Ubud was taken over by packs of dogs numbering in the 40s, 50s or even more. They growled, barked, but never bit anyone that I know. It was rather scary running the gauntlet of these menacing dogs, and I thought that sooner or later, one of these guys is going to break the mold, bite someone and it will take a liking to it, and it will be down hill from then on... :(

macantidur

Dec 4, 2008
Hello . . . it is rabies.

Dogs have been tested, found positive, as have human victims. Four humans victims have died after dog bites. Numerous others have been bitten without provocation by dogs with erratic behaviour and are being treated as rabies exposures.

11 dogs have been found positive for rabies the Ungasan area and neighbouring areas.

Hello . . . what is it that you don't understand about that.

Rabies is a serious thing, not a sentimental issue. In a society like Bukit Jimbaran, serious aggressive steps are imperative.

Be real. Even Linda Buller says it's serious, and she is the softest of soft hearted Bali dog lovers. It must be aggressively addressed, and it is real. There is a serious rabies outbreak on Bukit Jimbaran. Do you want it to spread, to kill people and dogs and devastate the reputation of Bali as a relatively safe place to have a holiday?

With rapid and aggressive action this outbreak can be eradicated completely before it spreads to squirrels, bats, cats, and dogs outside of the Bukit Jimbaran area. This will prevent untold tragedy to people, dogs, cats, and wildlife.

Get real.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
macantidur ( nice name)

I live on the Bukit, in Dreamland and I have a young son and a dog, so I take it very seriously. However so far there seems to be conflicting information and statements as to whether it is rabies or not. (have you read all the links posted here?)

I agree if it is rabies culling is neccessary to stop its spread. But one day we read it is and the next it isnt.

You say that it is rabies - do you have any additional information you can share?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Welcome to the forum, (I think), but please, get a hold of yourself!

WHERE is it documented that four humans have died of rabies????

There is NO need to tell us to “get real” as in fact, most of us have had far more experience with rabies in our home countries.

The problem is that there is constantly conflicting reports in the media about what IS really going on, and quite frankly, your overly excited post is not very helpful.

Documented so far is that one dog that was tested positive for rabies. Maybe that is old information, but let’s not go nutty about this, or accusatory, when all we are asking for is solid and factual information!!!

If you have sources for what you say, then please cite them. That shouldn’t be too much to ask, should it?