An Interesting Blog on how Aussies don't know much about Indonesia

ronb

It starts with
You'd never know it, but just above Darwin and sort of to the left, around Bali, there are 17,000 islands floating in the Indian Ocean with roughly 240 million people living on them. Grouped together, this rising economic powerhouse and cultural kaleidoscope is called 'Indonesia', and it's the fourth largest country in the world. In fact, Bali is part of this 'Indonesia' place.
and it is a fairly long article, but interesting. The full article is
Invisible Indonesia - Eureka Street

Interesting but when you think about it, but what other countries does the average Aussie know well? I wonder if you did a survey how many people could correctly guess the capital of New Zealand or even name their PM? You could argue that the only country Australia has good relations with politically is the US.

I enjoy studying other languages and I think it is a great way to learn about other countries and cultures, but the only time it really helped me career wise, was finding a job in that foreign country. It's not something that employers in Australia seem to care about, from my experience.

Last edited:
The Ozzies are a paragon of knowledge in Geography compare to the Americans :icon_razz::icon_razz:

Most of us Americans are too busy dodging stray bullets and the amorous advances of crazed and inbred southerners to worry about geography.

Hell, 70% don't even own passports and are so scared by the BS they hear about the rest of the world on their TVs while being constantly pumped with the "God Bless America" theology they wouldn't dare even think about travelling anywhere that doesn't have Choke or McBarfs.

Unfortunately for the rest of the world the area covered by McBarfs and Choke are growing daily.

Your only chance lies in the fact that consumers of these 2 delights tend to be so fecking fat they can hardly move.

I think the Ozzys are doing their best to catch up to this high standard.

Most of us Americans are too busy dodging stray bullets and the amorous advances of crazed and inbred southerners to worry about geography.

Hell, 70% don't even own passports and are so scared by the BS they hear about the rest of the world on their TVs while being constantly pumped with the "God Bless America" theology they wouldn't dare even think about travelling anywhere that doesn't have Choke or McBarfs.

Unfortunately for the rest of the world the area covered by McBarfs and Choke are growing daily.

Your only chance lies in the fact that consumers of these 2 delights tend to be so fecking fat they can hardly move.

I think the Ozzys are doing their best to catch up to this high standard.
Have you watched any YouTube lately? The advertizing is so childish, it's comical! A bunch of young girls, dressed in school uniforms, with bleached skin bouncing around like Rabbits, or two guys excited that disposable razors have a flexible head! Oh and the ad promoting gooey sticky, sugary, Kecap
Manis, makes food look like an instant way to get Diabetes!
Where are these crazed, and amorous Southerners? I would like to meet some!

Have you watched any YouTube lately? The advertizing is so childish, it's comical! A bunch of young girls, dressed in school uniforms, with bleached skin bouncing around like Rabbits, or two guys excited that disposable razors have a flexible head! Oh and the ad promoting gooey sticky, sugary, Kecap
Manis, makes food look like an instant way to get Diabetes!
Where are these crazed, and amorous Southerners? I would like to meet some!
waaaaayyyy back in the mists of history 14 years ago where the thread came from. I'm a consistently erudite fecker aint I?

Sadly, @ronb passed away last month.
Oh dear! didn't hear about it here in the far east. Know why?

I mean he was as old as dirt so it won't have been a surprise - years ago I went to his 70th bd and offended pretty much everyone there within the first hour. It was a raging success.

RIP Ron.

Just out of curiosity what do the rest of you do with your friends list(s) when they begin to look more like a mortuary than a list of acquaintances?

Seems kind of harsh to delete good friends that are no more but pretty macabre to see all them ex-people...

Oh dear! didn't hear about it here in the far east. Know why?

I mean he was as old as dirt so it won't have been a surprise - years ago I went to his 70th bd and offended pretty much everyone there within the first hour. It was a raging success.

RIP Ron.

Just out of curiosity what do the rest of you do with your friends list(s) when they begin to look more like a mortuary than a list of acquaintances?

Seems kind of harsh to delete good friends that are no more but pretty macabre to see all them ex-people

Last edited:
Back