A short story: Follow your happiness

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
-Follow your happiness: Ketut (“Ktoet”)-

Awhile ago Ketut quit his job because his boss didn’t pay him on time and when he got paid it was less than agreed upon. But Ketut is still loyal to him and brought us to the shop of his former boss. He doesn’t get any commission.

MiSo:
“ Ketut, how come you still call your former boss 'your friend'? How come you still can be friends with him? He didn’t treat you right.”

Ketut:
“ It’s true, I wasn’t happy. But because I wasn’t happy with this situation, it meant that I had to leave and find my happiness somewhere else.”

MiSo:
“So, for you it was a sign you had to go?”

Ketut:
“Yes. My religion says if my luck is not here, I must find a better place.”

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
-Follow your happiness: Ketut (“Ktoet”)-

Awhile ago Ketut quit his job because his boss didn’t pay him on time and when he got paid it was less than agreed upon. But Ketut is still loyal to him and brought us to the shop of his former boss. He doesn’t get any commission.

MiSo:
“ Ketut, how come you still call your former boss 'your friend'? How come you still can be friends with him? He didn’t treat you right.”

Miso, this is a very very tipical balinese actitud, I don´t know how to explain it, but to me his behavior is very commun in Bali, and the way we see it is very wester as well..........they don´t seem get dissapointed, angry............on the same way we do.............logic is not something working here....at least our logic!!
have a good night!

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
Sometimes confrontation is needed for a change. But with a caste system everybody seem to accept the place (s)he's in.

A question to myself was: why would his boss pay him too late or less than they agreed upon? The order was delivered on time and Ketut was a fine worker (crafter). The answer I came up with was: to keep Ketut small, humble, dependant. Tell me, any other reasons?

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
MISO wrote:Tell me, any other reasons?

Couldn’t care less, not important, he will never leave. This sort of attitude is very popular, like when they are late/don’t turn-up at all for an appointment and don’t SMS/phone call and sometimes they completely forgot. I can go on but…………..

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
I agree with you totally Lumumba!!!
Plus, from the boss, lack of responsability, lack of compromise, lack of commitment, lack of values..............
From Ketut he probably will never complaint, never talk about or show dissapoinment or disagreement and confront his boss.............but like you say the amezing thing is how he still wants to help a person who has been bad to him...............I will never ever understand this, please if someone has the answer will be very welcome!!
Hehehe sometimes I think balinese don´t have feelings, or at least they deal with them in a very very diferent way than us..............
Have a good day!!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Very touching but bear in mind you've only heard half of the story - just out of interest Miso go collar the boss and ask his side of it...

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Very touching but bear in mind you've only heard half of the story - just out of interest Miso go collar the boss and ask his side of it...

For once I agree with Markit:icon_biggrin:

We have just found out why my replacement pembantu is sitting around watching tv all day and not helping out....

When I questioned her at first she told me that Made had told her she didn't have to do any housework, only look after Martin.... got the two of them on the phone together and turns out her friend who has never met me and never been to my house told her that.. ..:icon_rolleyes: Made had given her a proper run down of her responsibilities. But she had a selective memory. She now wants to call her dad tomorrow and check if she is allowed to do housework. If she decides to leave I can't help but wonder what reason she will give back in Lombok!

noodles

Apr 27, 2009
Unhappy in Singapore
Agreed to Markit, Miso if you have a chance to talk with his boss, thenafter you know what real happened...in other side, there are difficult to get good jobs and have their incomes grow after resigned, you know, lack of education will disqualify them for most good jobs, Suppose that's one of reason that he wud like to suffer deduct wages and still donnt wanna quit.

noodles

Apr 27, 2009
Unhappy in Singapore
But she had a selective memory. She now wants to call her dad tomorrow and check if she is allowed to do housework. If she decides to leave I can't help but wonder what reason she will give back in Lombok!

Mimpi, I donnt think that she had a slective memory, it's depend on how much salary that she get..."CALL MY DAD/MUMMY" is a standard excuse at here when they wanna escape doing housework or other sth., Normally, when we are committed to something, it means that how uncomfortable something is, we will always choose to face it instead of running away from it, right?!

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
There are many sides of a story...have no intention to research all of them. But it is this caste system that bothers me in a way.

If it was my boss...haha...well..no hard guess... I would shake him the hand in peace, but wouldn't keep calling him 'my friend'.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Well the new pembantu has decided without talking to her dad that she can work with us... though she is worried about what will happen to her hands and feet :icon_rolleyes:

I am sure she has done housework before as she has been married and is recently divorced. She is 27 years old and this is her first job so maybe a shock to the system for her but I chose her over another girl already working for us at Mimpi Manis who wants to come here to work, as I thought it would give her an opportunity she might not otherwise get. And I hoped being older I wouldn't be subject to all the bf issues :icon_lol: However as I am still not confident it is going to work out Made is going to bring the other girl from Mimpi Manis over at the end of the month when he comes over for Iluh's leaving party and we will try them both for a bit and see how it goes.

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
though she is worried about what will happen to her hands and feet :icon_rolleyes:

And I hoped being older I wouldn't be subject to all the bf issues :icon_lol:

Hahaha...
Of course she is worried...she has to find a new husband... haha...

No bf issues, but now you have one with divorce issues... haha... (grr...where are my smilies...)

I think... having staff is not easy.

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
:icon_biggrin::icon_mrgreen: found my smilies...!

So far I only had room cleaning boys, no girls on Bali. And 1 pembantu when I shared a house. She was kind of..hard to understand. Always explanations (to the house owner) why she was late, had to leave earlier, was sick, couldn't do this or that.
Maybe boys/men are more stable as pembantu? But that's unusual, isn't it?

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Jimbo, you have asked and I have answered this question before... however as it seems to be of such interest I wrote a long PM today...only to find I cant send it. I need to figure out how to delete selected items in my inbox and keep those I need.... before I can send it to you... .......

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
Where did you find them? I haven't found mine :).

Click Go advanced !!!!
but I still have the same problem that lumumba, it appear at the top of the post, at least the first time I tried to used it, will see now where will go!!!!