Your experience: relocation for business

André

Dec 14, 2019
Hi all,

I love Indonesia and think of relocating there and run a restaurant or a tourist business. As options seem to be limited to setting up a new company or taking over an existing one, I would like to ask those who run a business already about their experience. Recently I've been offered to buy a PMA with a "nominal" setup with a formal Indonesian shareholder involved for 51%. Those who went through this and would like to warn, advise or encourage me on this - very welcome here or via PM.

PS: I've already got a number of contacts among accountants and immigration consultants, so no need for further referrals here. But some real experiences would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
There are a lot of things to consider and my initial reaction would be to be very careful buying into an existing restaurant business. You need to get due diligence done on the property by someone completely independent of the deal.

I have noticed the eating habits of tourists change over the time I have been here. People have more options for buying food, like with Grab, renting a villa with kitchen/chef etc.

The ex-Ceo of Uber has started a new business called CloudKitchens and that business model could work very well in Bali: https://fortune.com/2019/11/08/uber-travis-kalanick-cloud-kitchens/

Basically you set up commercial kitchens to rent out to businesses and Grab/Gojek drivers deliver the food, with no actual seating.

My preference would be set up an "attraction" type of business, that is "instantgram worthy" that will work well for a while until everyone starts to copy your idea (think of the Bali swing)

Since we have kids we often look for places to eat/have a drink where there is something to amuse the kids as well. There are some businesses like this, but I think a good market for both expats and tourists.

André

Dec 14, 2019
Thanks SpicyAyam, I agree that an independent check would be necessary. Any idea how much this may cost? The restaurant is in a self-built house on a rented land. Fully functioning, with all permits available.

Btw, are you also in a catering business, as your nickname suggests?