Who and When: Life in Bali

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
The question is not too heavy for me at all Milan,

What i am saying is that it's often wrong to assume,
How do i know who these women are, Maybe they are feminists, maybe they are
travestiti, there a lots of them in Italy, France, the world, even in Bali . Maybe you happen to be in this retaurant on a particular night.

I was not there, i am not a feminist,I like being feminine, i like my husband and my married life,
I enjoy dining with my husband. But i cannot answer your question because i would be making an assumption. This is all that i was saying.

And, if they are feminist, they are what they are, I cannot judge, i get passionate when people hurt people, i dont like injustice. Other than that i try my best not to make judement on peoples choices in life cara.

I work in the counselling field you see,, tutto qui,, okay ? and when ever i can, i try to laugh. Because i see so much sadness and unhappiness most days.

My humour is never to offend anyone, i only try to make it light.

I should change my signature to Neutral Solutions ! so you forgive me ?

milan

Mar 20, 2008
There's nothing to forgive, cara Chilli. I was just trying to touch a completely and totally different subject than usual among us the women here in the Forum, especially with you, who are Italian. It's actually my hubby who raised it by uttering - while shaking his head - as he turned to see them: "I've never seen something like this before". It's just fascinating to see the changing of Society here in Milan where once, it used to be couples unbiquiotously. Then couples with babies. Then women as a small group as I used to belong to this category. Then today, women in large groups. So, no assumption placed, only the idea to have a relaxed and stimulating conversation/chat that I was trying to stir among us, that's all. Nothing more, nothing less. No need to work yourself up... :D :D
It's summer. Let's all have a good time. (Not my neighbour at this very moment, as the wife is ranting and screaming at her husband while crying. They're having a big row!)...
My window is open as I have enough of air-condition and wanting a natural air but I could hear everything since the palazzo i live in echoes easily.

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Ciao Milan,

well first of all i cannot contribute too much to this forum because i am not an expert on anything Indonesian. I just LOVE Bali and i am here to absorb as much as i can to learn of the culture. It interests me and i fear to speak too much on Italian culture or lifestyle and anything associated with Italy because it is an expat forum for Bali.

I am thankful to so many people here, they are probably thinking what im doing here!

and i must admit, i took insult to you stating that the question was too heavy for me.

heavy= pesante, gravoso, ma pesante o gravoso in quale modo ?

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Just forget it, Chilli. It's okay. It was not meant to get into any philosical conversation but just a light and airy one as that's what I'm here for, coming from not only two worlds but various worlds, therefore, I just want to stretch myself here and enjoy the easiness of life in general. Thus for my comment "heavy" - "pesante" in Italian which directs it to me as well as I realised too that the thread after all is: Life in Bali.
We are here as one and that is: we all love Bali, and myself love Indonesia as a whole. I don't make any difference.
I just deviated a little by bringing Italy in --- seeing that perhaps I could engage you in an easy conversation about Italy and that was all. I forgot that I haven't really known you, so, it's my mistake.

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Hi Milan,

so, we forget Italy on this forum unless its about FOOD.......!!!

can you tell me do you cook and if so , how you cook Nasi Goreng.

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Hello back Chilli,

NASI GORENG: It varies from region to region; types and personal preference.

Since you like chillies then it's the right dish to prepare as I too go for it abundantly.

But here's the basic one that everyone prepares.

Ingredients:

- Cooked rice but is already at room temperature or even cold. This is a must so it wouldn't stick when you fry and mix with other ingredients.
- 5 tbsps vegetable oil
- 3 tbsps kecap manis or sweet soy sauce
- decoratedly sliced tomatoes for garnish
- cabbage or lettuce leaves for garnish
- prosciuto cotto/cooken ham as side dish on the plate (I use this here in Italy), but otherwise you can always add sate or ayam goreng/fried chicken.

Grind (you can do it by using electric mixer/blender) to make it a spice-paste:
5 red big chillies (personally, this is not sufficient for me as I would add more and mix with the padi-chillies; the tiny red chillies which are really hot!!)
6 shallots (sliced finely and fry until brown and rather crispy. Place aside to drain off the oil)
4 cloves of garlic
Shrimp paste or in Indonesian is called "terasi". This is optional for foreigners but not for Indonesians as it has a pungent odour but makes for the real authentic Indonesian nasi goreng.
Salt to taste.

Heat oil and fry the pounded spice-paste until fragrant.
Add sweet soy sauce (kecap manis in Indonesian) into the pan until they all blend. Add rice and continue stirring until everything is blended evenly and nicely.
Serve it on an individual plate and sprinkle the fried onions.
The rest is up to your fancy such as adding the sliced or decoratively cut tomatoes, some lettuce, emping (special local Indonesian crackers) or shrimp crackers.
You can even add a fried egg too to make it even more pleasing to the eye.

It's always a hit here in Italy whenever I serve to friends.

Again, I confess, I haven't cooked it for a long time now. Added by the advice of my Shaman in Jakarta on my last visit there not to include it in my diet.

But once in a while would be okay, I guess. So have a good try and let me know how it goes.

Harro

May 23, 2008
Hello to all,
A simple but pleasant story.
Have recently retired at 47 after being involved in Share Trading and finance after leaving school at 18. Will be arriving in Bali 25th Aug and intend on staying initially for 4 months then returning to Australia (Noosa- on the sunshine coast of Queensland) for a catch up with family and then return to Indonesia each year in May and stay until November.
My wife, Michelle and I will have to make a decision at some stage as to where our young son Fyn (15 months) will be schooled. We have a lovely home here in Australia and enjoy the area in which we live. We are an Ocean orientated family with 2 older daughters 21 and 18 who surf regularly, along with Dad. Hope to make contact with people from the forum during our stay this year.
Am enjoying hearing your stories! Keep them coming.

Cheers Harro.

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Thanks, Harro, for bringing this thread to what it's originally intended.

It was I who deviated, so I'm glad to read your post.

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Hi Milan,

Thankyou for your recipe (Nasi Goreng).
I shall attempt it.

Hope everyone is well and happy.

ciao ciao.. Chilli

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Hello to all that were here when I used to frequent more often and to all new members to the Bali Expat Forum.

My Balinese wife and I have been dreaming of moving back to Bali with our two Canadian born children, Arjuna (5) and Sadewa (3). While we live normal life here in Canada, it has been very depressing living so away from home. My wife went back for a visit about a year ago but for me it's been more than 5 years now (I cannot believe it's been that long!).

Our plan is to save up enough money to get started in Bali but WOW, I'm having a hard enough time saving anything just trying to live a normal life. No idea when we'll ever be able to move and it is very very depressing to say the least.

Anyway, we can't all have what we want when we want and many times, ever. :(

Happiness is now, not later... I just need to keep saying it over and over so I maybe start to believe it without feeling like a failure for not being able to be where I want to be.

Cheers!

Sergio

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Sergio

Nice to see you posting again and welcome back. Many would envy you your life in Canada and given the opportunity would love to emigrate there. Enjoy it now and and think for a future in Bali for later. Think of the advantages of being there and take holidays in Bali. Later it can be the otherway round.

The one thing you do not want to do is what I am doing right now which is staying in a place I do not enjoy to get the money to go to Bali but maybe I am contridicting myself. It is something I frequently do :D

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for the welcome back, Jimbo and mimpimanis. Its nice to see you two are still here. :)

We're doing ok, reading my last post back it seems more depressing than it really is. Frustrating is more the word I was thinking of. :wink:

Cheers!

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
I first went to Bali in 1997 on my way to work in Holland from Australia. I stopped over for less than 24 hours, finding a day room in order to have a shower and rest. I didn't know much about the place.

I walked along Kuta beach which in those days had small beach bars where the locals would invite you for a game of chess and casually annihilate you while smoking a cigarette and carrying on a conversation with twelve of their friends. It was very humbling. I liked Bali right away and made a mental note to come back one day.

Years pass, as they do, and I found myself thinking about installing myself on a tropical island and passing the time until I died. Bali sprung to mind and on Christmas Day 2003 I was on a flight to Denpasar and two weeks to spend at my leisure.

Four and a bit years later I have two half-Balinese daughters and am still living in Australia. My wife has quietly, and sometimes not so quietly, removed my rose-coloured glasses in regard to my Gauginesque dream of settling myself beside some idyllic rice-field and improvising gamelan tunes on my banjo. I still want to settle there one day but can't deny the implacable logic of my wife's first hand knowledge of the realities of life in/on Bali.

I enjoy reading the stories of people who have done what I have only dreamed.

Sam

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Geez Sam! One quick trip in 1997 and another two weeks here in 2003, and “four and a bit years later I have two half-Balinese daughters and am still living in Australia.”

Sounds to me like you made the very best of your limited time here! :p

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Sam
I liked you post and found it not just amusing but very true to life. I once wrote on my ex web site a description of my wife which went like this:

"No compliant eastern women this. Although she looks like butter will not melt in her mouth she holds the family together by sheer force of her will"

Seems like you married one like that also as have a few of us in here :D

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
SamD said:
the locals would invite you for a game of chess and casually annihilate you while smoking a cigarette and carrying on a conversation with twelve of their friends. It was very humbling.

That one also made me smile. Aint it soooo true. Indonesians in general seem to be amazing chess players. I consider myself to be reasonably bright, but I don't stand a chance against my other half, or most of his friends. It almost seems to be a part of 'Indo Cool' that they can win at chess while carrying on a conversation with others so as to appear not to need to try too hard. The thing is, they can do that and win.

I recently showed my husband how to play chess on the Vista chess game, I pumped it up to the highest level (thinking haha now he can't win). Took him a couple of games (probably just to get familiar with the interface, he doesn't ever use a computer), and now his win rate is 9 out of last 12 games. :roll: Mind you, he goes quiet sometimes with that one :)

sooze

Jul 10, 2007
Morley-Western Australia
Hi Milan
I go to Bali for 8 weeks each year now. And my plan is to retire for half the year when I'm 55. That is in another 4 years. We are still not sure if we want to buy or lease. But either way, I'll be there. We have made some great friends in Bali and I have tears in my eyes every time I come home. I want to create a home where my grandkids and extended family can come and relax and be shown the wonderful land and life hat Bali is.

I will be in Sanur in two weeks, and am longing to get out of the winter here in Western Australia. I know the two months I will be there will be far too short, but I am at least lucky to have that time. :lol: